Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Black Cadillacs On The Mediabase Charts (Blown Away Era)

oldesalt62

Carrie has said over and over that life isn't about the music. She wants to do something beyond the music, something more. I think people sometimes forget that "Carrie Underwood" is not Carrie. What we think "Carrie Underwood" wants or is important, may not be what Carrie wants or even cares about. If Carrie was not who is really behind "Carrie Underwood", if all there was was Carrie Underwood I wouldn't be here. This is why I've never ever gone this far into fandom, for want of a better term. So many people are fans of an image not of a person. If I am going to take the time and energy to support and care about someone, I certainly don't want it to be an image. So I can be a fan of "Carrie Underwood", I do all the fan things, like vote, request spins, go to concerts etc, but I never let myself forget that behind that image is a real person, a person who is separate and distinct from that image. I think everyone here knows the real Carrie as much as she wants to be known. So I try to focus on what I think Carrie wants and not what I think would be best for Carrie Underwood." I hope that made sense?

Well said, but where is the Carrie Underwood we all are supporting and is it really her. Also are you who you say or a facsimile of you and where is the real hologram? So many questions so little absolutes.

Farawayhills

But Carrie DOES CROSS OVER, all the time. So I am not sure why people keep saying she does not "cross over" when GG made it to Top 20 on Hot AC and so did CC. UI did well on Hot AC too.

The way I see it, there is a difference between individual songs "crossing over", because they are found to have appeal to cross-genre General Music fans (on the one hand), and the singer herself becoming a "crossover artist" by deliberate choice (on the other hand).
The songs that you mention come into the first category; but Carrie herself doesn't deliberately set out to "cross over" in the second sense.

If she did, I think we would see deliberate promotion to other formats, probable remixing, issue of lead singles which are intentionally obvious Pop songs, an explicit identification with Pop culture, and an avoidance of areas (like the Opry and classic covers) which identify her with the genre and have no appeal outside it). All that does apply to some artists' past and present work - but not to Carrie. From what Carrie has said, she's happy if other sectors like her work, but won't set out to change her work with that in mind.

Claire2004

So we're starting this new thread by discussing whether BA smashed or not. BA spent 2 weeks at #1, went platinum and still with good sales even though it already peaked at radio, discussion finished lol. There are lots of country artists who crave for this kind of a "non-smash" song lol.

Schrodinger

Well said, but where is the Carrie Underwood we all are supporting and is it really her. Also are you who you say or a facsimile of you and where is the real hologram? So many questions so little absolutes.

Sounds to me as if you are suffering from epistemological nihilism, take two Kants and call me in the morning.:rolleyes:

thunder92

In that case, every song Carrie has ever released has smashed...lolz.

Anyways, I'm glad we now have a TBC thread...although I'll miss BA :(

no, that makes every Carrie song a hit. Were you even around for the BA chart run? lol it was the easiest chart Carrie has had in I cant tell you how long. That to me signifies a smash in itself. A song that radio itches to play.

And for a country radio song to reach Platinum (and still going strong) that quickly is nothing else but a smash.

Is it as huge as BHC/JTTW? No but I would argue it is number 3, not too far behind.

teesharky

In that case, every song Carrie has ever released has smashed...lolz.

Anyways, I'm glad we now have a TBC thread...although I'll miss BA :(

I agree it was not as big as BHC or JTTW and that is disappointing as it is a great song- one of my favs of Carrie all time. But-- it did go platinum really fast and I still think it could go 2x platinum in 6 months-1 year if it stays steady.

I really want BA to go 2x platinum (the single). Album too. lol

Carrieroxmysox2011

IMO it did smash.I think the people who expected it to crossover and be 2x or 3x platinum wouldn't consider it a smash.imo either way it was a successful single for Carrie and has a lot of longevity.

gaycarebear

no, that makes every Carrie song a hit. Were you even around for the BA chart run? lol it was the easiest chart Carrie has had in I cant tell you how long. That to me signifies a smash in itself. A song that radio itches to play.

And for a country radio song to reach Platinum (and still going strong) that quickly is nothing else but a smash.

Is it as huge as BHC/JTTW? No but I would argue it is number 3, not too far behind.

I've been around since 2007 -__-

liz278

So we're starting this new thread by discussing whether BA smashed or not. BA spent 2 weeks at #1, went platinum and still with good sales even though it already peaked at radio, discussion finished lol. There are lots of country artists who crave for this kind of a "non-smash" song lol.

It's so funny, we were dying to start the TBC thread and now that we have we can't stop talking about BA! :p

Schrodinger

It's so funny, we were dying to start the TBC thread and now that we have we can't stop talking about BA! :p

Remember this is Carrie Fans:

"Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.
The Cat: Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
Alice: How do you know I'm mad?
The Cat: You must be. Or you wouldn't have come here" ~ Lewis Carroll "Alice in Wonderland"

teesharky

^ ha ha good one! Love it!

Honestly I am not sure if Carrie will ever have a hit quite as big as BHC or JTTW in terms of "breakthrough" single smashing. It seems when you are new, your songs just SMASH if they break through.

But when you have been around for a bit, it almost feels like people expect all of Carrie's songs to be big hits (and they pretty much are- lol)-- but maybe the newbie excitement factor has worn off so now she doesn't get the Big smash anymore...no matter how good the song may be.

bigbluegrl23

^ ha ha good one! Love it!

Honestly I am not sure if Carrie will ever have a hit quite as big as BHC or JTTW in terms of "breakthrough" single smashing. It seems when you are new, your songs just SMASH if they break through.

But when you have been around for a bit, it almost feels like people expect all of Carrie's songs to be big hits (and they pretty much are- lol)-- but maybe the newbie excitement factor has worn off so now she doesn't get the Big smash anymore...no matter how good the song may be.

Look at the bright side, Miranda gets four weeks at number one and barely (if she even did) makes top 10 with the next song. her lead single didn't even go number one. Lady A smashed with number 1 with NYN and then their latest didn't make top 20. Eric Church is about to miss top 5. Zac Brown is moving slowly.

Ok, explain to me why some are complaining about a 2 week number one / million seller+ (one thats still selling REALLY well)? Some people really need to adjust their expectations.
Becca

gaycarebear

I never said I was complaining, just pointing out the fact that it wasn't a smash as many predicted. I don't expect it to get any noms at Country awards next year, tbh.

countrymusicfan15

I would just like to point out that it was a smash and that I do think will be nominated at the awards next year, to be very very honest