Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which song do you WANT to be single #4?

Which song would you like to see as single #4?

• See You Again

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Do You Think About Me

Votes: 26 28.6%
  • One Way Ticket

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Good In Goodbye

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Leave Love Alone

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Cupid's Got A Shotgun

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Forever Changed

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Wine After Whiskey

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • Who Are You

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other: NETY, TGFH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

simonplay

WAW for the summer its just wrong! I mean why release WAW if you have the most summery song since Shine On by RIO? :p

And DYTAM will NOT be a single! because was cut from the set list!!! That is the sad true for you guys!

#TeamOWT :cool:

nccountrygal

I couldn't remember which ones were loved by Critics aside from the first 3 singles...
I think WAW and CGAS? DYTAM, unfortunately, is not usually recognized by critics ( TT___TT ) so underrated...

Actually I think most of the critics did like DYTAM. At least the ones at Country Universe liked it.

teesharky

Yes and we have to remember this: The critics rarely like Carrie's songs anyway. They did like BA, TBC, and GG, so her first 3 singles were critic friendly.

But--- most big summer songs are despised by critics. Perhaps Pontoon was liked by critics, but that is an exception. Critics never like Kenny's beachy songs, or the beer/truck songs that we will be bombarded with all summer by male singers. They hated Red Solo Cup and it was a commercial smash.

So in my opinion, if they don't release DYTAM (which critics liked I think)--- they should release OWT as it is sure to be a commercial success and radio hit for Summer. The critics are not going to do much for Carrie this era anyway since ACMS and CMAS are sure to snub her anyway. (ACMS already did).

For the 4th single off the album, I don't think they should be concerned what critics want. They should be concerned what FAns want to hear on the radio in the summer at the beach. :)

simonplay

one way ticket.jpg

Raise your hands in the air tonight
Put a little love back in your life
Get your feet up, just kick it
We got a one way ticket...

gocountrymusic

I couldn't remember which ones were loved by Critics aside from the first 3 singles...
I think WAW and CGAS? DYTAM, unfortunately, is not usually recognized by critics ( TT___TT ) so underrated...

DYTAM and LLA were liked by critics and people enjoyed Carrie's vocal in Cupid. Oddly enough, I feel a lot of reviews ignored WAW. No one had anything bad to say about it but a lot like slant just ignored it. OWT was not liked, but neither was Pontoon.

Carrieflattsfan

WAW for the summer its just wrong! I mean why release WAW if you have the most summery song since Shine On by RIO? :p

And DYTAM will NOT be a single! because was cut from the set list!!! That is the sad true for you guys!

tumblr_mgmhqsCAOY1rct7z4o1_400.gif

Farawayhills

I'd accept almost any track on this album - with the exception of SYA. SYA has an inspiring message - but its music strikes me as overwhelmingly Pop (and it was written for a General Music audience, as a potential movie track). Releasing it now as a radio single would please Carrie's large Pop-leaning fan base, and those who want to see her branch out more beyond Country - but I would rather she relied on things like the Aerosmith collaboration and the Sound of Music to demonstrate her standing as a General Music artist. Releasing this song as a radio single would risk contradicting her reported statements about not aiming deliberately for Pop appeal, and might appear too much of a concession to developments like the Billboard "Hot Country Songs" chart and the industry's apparent admiration for genre blurring artists. I would prefer Carrie to stand her ground and follow the path she's chosen.

"Forever Changed" is perhaps the outstanding unreleased song - but it is arguably not top playlist radio material, and Carrie has virtually ruled it out, by saying that it is too emotional for her to be comfortable singing live.

I've tried hard to feel the enthusiasm for DYTAM - but it strikes me as one of the album's more lightweight and unadventurous songs. It's fine as a stylistically reassuring album track - but after the release of three bold and stylistically more adventurous lead singles, I feel it would break the momentum, and contradict the aim that "Blown Away" should be seen as taking Carrie's music to a new level. Carrie has included three songs reflecting on the loss of a past love (DYTAM, GIG and WAW), and if she should want one of those to be a single, I'd prefer it to be WAW, which is the strongest song, and the one most consistent with a "new level", both lyrically and musically.

OWT is a long way off my personal taste in music - but I would agree with those who say that it has considerable commercial potential. I have to say that I was disappointed that LBT (whom I love) had songs like "Little White Church" and "Shut Up Train" largely ignored by much of the industry, but then won applause for "Pontoon" (which they appear to admit is one of their less ambitious songs) Similarly, I was disappointed that the Court Yard Hounds, chose "The Coast", one of the lightest songs, as the lead song from their debut album. But, personal taste aside, there' s no doubt that these "feel good" holiday-themed songs are popular in the Mainstream, and I think OWT would be a success on radio.

As for the growing use of this theme, this new song, by North Carolina's Shannon Whitworth, timed for an early summer release, is one of the best of this type that I've heard:

High Tide - Shannon Whitworth on Vimeo

Since Shannon is a Roots artist, that song would be aimed at the AMA reporting stations and wouldn't compete directly with Carrie - but I think it shows why some critics are less enthusiastic about the Mainstream examples, which tend to be more lyrically cliched and musically formulaic. What helps Carrie though is that examples by solo women are so far more unusual, and that she does vary the mood, by introducing feisty lines, like the one about sticking it to the Boss. Although I can't say I find OWT one of her best album tracks, I do think it's new ground for her, and shows her willingness to explore different facets of the Mainstream format.

But the two songs I'd most like her to back as singles would still be LLA and CGAS. LLA is stronger musically than lyrically - but it's important as an example of Carrie's wiilingness to include more Roots influence in her music (an area that's been relatively neglected hitherto, and which should appeal to some of the voters who've tended to downgrade her as lacking Country stylistic breadth.) CGAS, though, arguably has more radio appeal. Its Country Rock feel is probably the area where Carrie comes most into her own. It's musically strong, and has some witty imagery in the lyrics.

I don't have very strong feelings about the order of those two songs - but since LLA is lighter, it could balance the earlier singles and be a good mid-era choice. CGAS could then be a rousing finish to the release cycle.

gaycarebear

^Great write up.

I disagree about CGAS. It has a rather high burn out rate. Honestly, I usually skip it whenever I'm listening to the album.

jaks_weyn

DYTAM and LLA were liked by critics and people enjoyed Carrie's vocal in Cupid. Oddly enough, I feel a lot of reviews ignored WAW. No one had anything bad to say about it but a lot like slant just ignored it. OWT was not liked, but neither was Pontoon.

Actually I think most of the critics did like DYTAM. At least the ones at Country Universe liked it.

Oh... I haven't probably read the other articles... Or the 3 singles and CGAS must have overshadowed DYTAM... Usually, DYTAM is a one-liner in some articles...

So in my opinion, if they don't release DYTAM (which critics liked I think)--- they should release OWT as it is sure to be a commercial success and radio hit for Summer. The critics are not going to do much for Carrie this era anyway since ACMS and CMAS are sure to snub her anyway. (ACMS already did).

For the 4th single off the album, I don't think they should be concerned what critics want. They should be concerned what FAns want to hear on the radio in the summer at the beach. :)

Agree with that! regarding what the fans want to hear on radio... it's DYTAM as evident in this poll... LOL!
Still hoping for that release!

I think though if we have 5 singles.. she could only either release either DYTAM / WAW / GIG if they go with the topic of lost love... LLA / OWT / CGAS if something fun... NETY / TGFH if something personal and close to Carrie's heart... As much as I like SYA and WAY I can't really see a release for these... and FC has already been dismissed as a future single...

Carrieroxmysox2011

CGAS won't be a single due to the recent shootings.The main subject isn't about violence /shootings but I could see a lot of people. getting. offended ....jmo

Farawayhills

TGFH is probably a safe song for Mainstream Country radio, and for many of their general (non-Carrie specific) audience.
However, I get the impression it's not too popular with many of Carrie's own fan base. (I think there are probably two reasons for that - it has relatively little resonance for people more attuned to Pop music; and it's message doesn't work for people who have largely rejected their home town ethos. Neither of those apply to me, and I like the song - but I think it could be fairly divisive)

allamericangirl8

I'm not a huge fan of TGFH because 1) I don't like the music underneath Carrie's vocals; 2) I don't like the chorus (too monotonous for my tastes). I love Carrie's phrasing on the verses. It's a nice change of pace, and it's the verses that ultimately got me to like the song. I wouldn't say my tastes are pop-leaning, and I don't have any attachment one way or the other to my hometown, which isn't a small town (though I do like to brag that Jeff Buckley grew up here :D ). It's more like it doesn't sonically click as well as pretty much any other song on the album.

tl;dr: The opposite of what I said about NETY. :p

gocountrymusic

TGFH is probably a safe song for Mainstream Country radio, and for many of their general (non-Carrie specific) audience.
However, I get the impression it's not too popular with many of Carrie's own fan base. (I think there are probably two reasons for that - it has relatively little resonance for people more attuned to Pop music; and it's message doesn't work for people who have largely rejected their home town ethos. Neither of those apply to me, and I like the song - but I think it could be fairly divisive)

I must have missed that :). I always did wonder what people outside the Carrie fan base would think of it because it does tap into Nostalgia which can be a powerful trigger for people. I just feel nowadays if you're going to release a song about home or "back to roots" it has have some sort of uniqueness or different angle (the line about a dog being buried in The House That Built Me). I just hope Carrie does release 5 or 6 singles this era

maddkat

Staff member

I'm neither attuned to pop music nor have I rejected my "home town ethos" but I think TGFH would be a horrible choice as a single.It would put listeners to sleep at the wheel of their cars.What a snoozefest it is musically. The lyrics aren't bad and Carrie's delivery is ok but that chorus.Ugh

I'm thinking OWT/CGAS/GIG if they go six deep, but I still want DYTAM!

pandy

Whatever Carrie chooses for her next single, I'll be supportive of it, but I HOPE it won't be NETY or TGFH.