Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women in Country Music

rcramer

^^ Yes., Suzy sang that song from her Voices in the Wind album..... I miss her voice...... Same with Lorrie Morgan, those ladies had such great voices and their music was just great.... Ballad and up tempo..

would love to find another female singer with the vocal style of Lorrie Morgan, I loved her torchy yet sultry style voice......

adam1995

^^ Yes., Suzy sang that song from her Voices in the Wind album..... I miss her voice...... Same with Lorrie Morgan, those ladies had such great voices and their music was just great.... Ballad and up tempo..

would love to find another female singer with the vocal style of Lorrie Morgan, I loved her torchy yet sultry style voice......

I think that Lorrie Morgan was one of the most underrated artists in country music. She had some amazing songs, "Good As I Was to You" and "Something in Red" are among her best.

rcramer

I totally agree....... Her style was very unique...

Her very first CD "Leave The Light On, will go down as one of my favorites of hers....... Every CD after always came with another great song..... And what a beautiful woman.....

Momin

Working through that list, I thought it might be worthwhile to also post Carrie's version of "Cold Day in July"

The song was actually recorded first (I think) by Suzi Bogguss, but her version only appeared as an album track, and is consequently less well known. Joy Lynn White's version came very shortly after, and was released as a single, and thus is usually thought of as the original. The Chicks included the song on "Fly", their second Mainstream album (but fifth overall), in 1999, releasing it as a single in 2000.

Carrie's version is stylistically based on that of the Chicks. There is often some confusion on the internet, over her age and the date - but it was around 2001, when she was about 18, on her self-titled covers album "Carrie Underwood". (Both the title "Broken Wing", and the cover art shown in the picture above were later fan creations when the songs were repackaged.) The original disc, which was sold on merchandise tables after gigs, is very rare, and had a colour picture of Carrie on the cover:

View attachment 30899

I really like Carrie's old recordings where she has this innocence and less polished voice with considerable twang that just flows naturally. And I like her interpretations even from that age.

Farawayhills

Congratulations to Kylie Frey, who has topped the Texas Regional Radio chart (a rare feat for a female performer, as this chart has been even more male-centric than the Mainstream)

The song is actually a duet, led and released by Kylie, but "featuring" Randy Rogers (a regular chart topper). A cynic could argue that this has reduced its impact as a female release - but I applaud the efforts of established artists like Randy, and, in other contexts, Wade Bowen, in working to help get female artists heard on radio.

Kizmet311

Carly Pearce is coming to Louisville as a special guest on Brett Young's tour. I would love to see her, but I don't even know what he sings, lol. Not sure how much tickets are, but I would have to see if it's worth going to see Carly and then leaving, haha.

Farawayhills

Carly Pearce is coming to Louisville as a special guest on Brett Young's tour. I would love to see her, but I don't even know what he sings, lol. Not sure how much tickets are, but I would have to see if it's worth going to see Carly and then leaving, haha.

Wikipedia classify Brett Young as "Country Pop", and say he's produced by Dann Huff (so, alarm bells may start ringing, lol). I hadn't heard him before, but I think he actually sounds considerably more interesting than that description might suggest (personally, I think the label "Country Pop" should be dropped altogether - it seems to cover far too broad a stylistic range to be helpful.)
Brett Young's work seems to be more traditionally rooted, and more individually styled, than much of the current chart Mainstream. This is his tribute to Leonard Cohen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbj-5IzVzu4

Momin

Wikipedia classify Brett Young as "Country Pop", and say he's produced by Dann Huff (so, alarm bells may start ringing, lol). I hadn't heard him before, but I think he actually sounds considerably more interesting than that description might suggest (personally, I think the label "Country Pop" should be dropped altogether - it seems to cover far too broad a stylistic range to be helpful.)
Brett Young's work seems to be more traditionally rooted, and more individually styled, than much of the current chart Mainstream. This is his tribute to Leonard Cohen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbj-5IzVzu4

Actually Faraway, I think he might be someone you might find worth exploring a little. Some of the reviews I've read about his album suggest that he is trying to break the stereotypical songs that male artists are producing these days and that he isn't bro-country at all. I listened to his album as well and it's actually pretty good compared to the rest of the performers right now.

Kizmet311

I guess I will give his album a listen (not to get this thread off topic since he isn't a woman, lol). I would love to see Carly on her own. She is going to be at Lexington's Red, White & Book festival Labor Day weekend as well, which is right down the road, the same night that Blake Shelton is headlining. I doubt we'll make it there, though.

I listened to her (three) songs on Amazon Unlimited this morning on my way to work. I adore ELT and IMNWW, plus there was a song called Dare Ya on there that I liked as well. Other than that, Amazon (probably Spotify too) has a TON of work where she has provided lead vocals for bluegrass albums and country/bluegrass Christmas albums, lol.

I NEED her debut album, like, now! Haha.

liz278

I heard this morning on the way to work that Lindsay Ell's CD "The Project" was the #1 album last week. From what I have heard, I think it is a good album.

maddkat

Staff member
Carly Pearce's cd - "Every Little Thing" - comes out Oct. 13

21034685_10155858706089255_3174641391857814696_n.jpg

track list

1. “Hide The Wine” | Ashley Gorley, Luke Laird, Hillary Lindsey
2. “Careless” | Carly Pearce, Emily Shackelton
3. “Every Little Thing” | Carly Pearce, busbee, Emily Shackelton
4. “Everybody Gonna Talk” | Carly Pearce, busbee, Emily Weisband
5. “Catch Fire” | busbee, Natalie Hemby
6. “If My Name Was Whiskey” | Carly Pearce, busbee, Shane McAnally
7. “Color” | Carly Pearce, busbee, Laura Veltz
8. “I Need A Ride Home” | Ashley Gorley, Matt Jenkins, Hillary Lindsey
9. “Doin’ It Right” | Carly Pearce, Oscar Charles, Allison Veltz
10. “Feel Somethin’” | busbee, Natalie Hemby, Shane McAnally
11. “You Know Where To Find Me” | Carly Pearce, busbee, Emily Shackelton
12. “Honeysuckle” | busbee, Barry Dean, Hillary Lindsey
13. “Dare Ya” | Carly Pearce, Joe Ginsberg, Allison Veltz

Kizmet311

Carly Pearce's cd - "Every Little Thing" - comes out Oct. 13

21034685_10155858706089255_3174641391857814696_n.jpg

track list

1. “Hide The Wine” | Ashley Gorley, Luke Laird, Hillary Lindsey
2. “Careless” | Carly Pearce, Emily Shackelton
3. “Every Little Thing” | Carly Pearce, busbee, Emily Shackelton
4. “Everybody Gonna Talk” | Carly Pearce, busbee, Emily Weisband
5. “Catch Fire” | busbee, Natalie Hemby
6. “If My Name Was Whiskey” | Carly Pearce, busbee, Shane McAnally
7. “Color” | Carly Pearce, busbee, Laura Veltz
8. “I Need A Ride Home” | Ashley Gorley, Matt Jenkins, Hillary Lindsey
9. “Doin’ It Right” | Carly Pearce, Oscar Charles, Allison Veltz
10. “Feel Somethin’” | busbee, Natalie Hemby, Shane McAnally
11. “You Know Where To Find Me” | Carly Pearce, busbee, Emily Shackelton
12. “Honeysuckle” | busbee, Barry Dean, Hillary Lindsey
13. “Dare Ya” | Carly Pearce, Joe Ginsberg, Allison Veltz

Thanks for this! I somehow missed the track list! I was one of the first three people to comment on her twitter post announcing the album and she liked my reply! Made me happy! I don't buy many artists' albums anymore, but this is one I am definitely purchasing! Gotta support a fellow Kentucky girl!

Busbee is all over this album. Is he producing as well? I know he is kind of the "it" guy in country music right now. I think Maren Morris worked with him and he did The Fighter with Keith & Carrie, right? He may have also worked with Thomas Rhett. I truly hope that Carly gets lots of exposure and radio support. I suppose I should reserve judgment for when I listen to the whole album, but I am more excited about her than any other female that has come out since Carrie - even more than Maren who I was pretty hyped about last year.

Farawayhills

Thanks for this! I somehow missed the track list! I was one of the first three people to comment on her twitter post announcing the album and she liked my reply! Made me happy! I don't buy many artists' albums anymore, but this is one I am definitely purchasing! Gotta support a fellow Kentucky girl!

Busbee is all over this album. Is he producing as well? I know he is kind of the "it" guy in country music right now. I think Maren Morris worked with him and he did The Fighter with Keith & Carrie, right? He may have also worked with Thomas Rhett. I truly hope that Carly gets lots of exposure and radio support. I suppose I should reserve judgment for when I listen to the whole album, but I am more excited about her than any other female that has come out since Carrie - even more than Maren who I was pretty hyped about last year.

busbee's two major female album production credits so far have been Laren Alaina's "Road Less Travelled" and Maren Morris's "Hero". His main background has been in Pop, but I think he will give his Country performing artists the individual style they require. If he is producing Carly's album (he did produce the single, so I think it's likely), it may prove to be his most Country-styled yet.

You may already know it, but if not, another Carly appearance was on the Josh Abbott Band's "Wasn't That Drunk". This song (which was another one co-written by Song Suffragette, Emily Weisband) is interesting for its sophisticated blending of Mainstream and Progressive Roots music. (Josh Abbott, by the way, also duetted with Kacey Musgraves, several years ago.)

Kizmet311

Thanks, Faraway. I have watched that video featuring Carly before when I was watching the Every Little Thing video and it popped up. I kind of can't get enough of her right now!

Farawayhills

Ashley McBryde is being critically hailed as one of the most interesting breakthrough artists of the year - particularly on the strength of two advance songs, for an album due for release later this year. She is, however, not a newcomer as such - she has an album from 2011 ("Elsebound"), which is still available digitally in both US and UK on Amazon, and this is well worth exploring, in my opinion. I particularly liked her softer, slower tempo songs, "Arkansas", "Some Things", "Marlboro Man" and "Little Tragedy", which are a little different from the more up tempo songs released so far this year. Those of you who know Carrie Hassler, who earlier released the original version of the movie song, "Country Strong", and had two strong albums with the band Hard Rain, might be interested to know that the title song for her solo album "The Distance" was wholly written by Ashley McBryde.

The advance single for Ashley's forthcoming album is "A Little Dive Bar in Dahlonega" - a gender-neutral anthem for recovery after a break-up, which I find is one of those songs that I can't get out of my mind after hearing it.
"We'e all got
a slow dance left in these boots
And a chance at puttin' down new roots
Here's to the break ups that didn't break us
The break down, wrong turn, that takes ya
To a little dive bar in Dahlonega
Hear a song from a band that saves ya"

Farawayhills

Ashley's second new song is the emotional "Girl Going Nowhere" - which she sang at the Opry. The episodes in the verses are based on fact - her being told by a teacher to give up her dream of singing, getting letters from friends who pretended to believe in her, and thanking her father for buying her guitar. The last verse contains the defiant lines:
"It took a whole lot of "Yes I Wills" and "I Don't Cares", a whole lot of basement dives and county fairs"

Her obvious emotion, and the reception she had from the Opry audience make this video one of the highlights of the year for me!

Momin

Thanks for sharing all this Faraway! Interestingly, I watched a video about her Opry debut a couple of days ago and I found it very touching:

I don't expect her to receive any airplay or significant sales but I hope she is able to carve out a name and place for herself like Ashley Monroe, Brandy Clark and Kacey Musgraves have. (Interestingly, Rolling Stones, in recommending her as an "Artist to Watch" have compared her to Miranda.)