Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women in Country Music

liz278

KNCI tweeted after the whole mess that they would love to have her come and play for them. It was an apology too. (Sorry on my phone so can't post the tweet)

And I have no idea what they were thinking. No one really cares that she is dating BB. But that seems to be the reason. One of the stations in town is the I heart radio station.

Momin

It's not like she's having success shooting through the roof in the US, at least not in terms of radio. What do they have to fear? Why are they being so insecure then? Just out of sheer rivalry or spite?

maddkat

Staff member
Lindsay Ell new video for Waiting on You

Carly Pearce's video for 'Every Little Thing' is expected soon

Kizmet311

I'm loving Carly Pearce right now. I searched my Amazon music app to see if she had anything out besides Every Little Thing and If My Name was Whiskey. She has one other song called Dare Ya from 2016, but then there are several Christmas songs! There are all of these generic kind of country Christmas albums and her name is all over them, lol. I love Christmas music, so I guess I may have to listen, haha.

maddkat

Staff member
I'm loving Carly Pearce right now. I searched my Amazon music app to see if she had anything out besides Every Little Thing and If My Name was Whiskey. She has one other song called Dare Ya from 2016, but then there are several Christmas songs! There are all of these generic kind of country Christmas albums and her name is all over them, lol. I love Christmas music, so I guess I may have to listen, haha.
saw her in a private concert at CMAfest( she sang Color,Doin' It Right,Ride Home,Hide the Wine & ELT), and at one of the outside stages. She has a great voice and for want of a better word is so likable ( plus she's a Ky girl,lol) ! Not sure when she's releasing n ep/cd, but here's the new video for ELT

Kizmet311

saw her in a private concert at CMAfest( she sang Color,Doin' It Right,Ride Home,Hide the Wine & ELT), and at one of the outside stages. She has a great voice and for want of a better word is so likable ( plus she's a Ky girl,lol) ! Not sure when she's releasing n ep/cd, but here's the new video for ELT

Thanks! I saw on Twitter that she was doing a photo shoot for her album, so I hope it's not too far off. Definitely have to support this fellow KY girl and will 100% buy her album. She's coming to Red, White & Book in Lexington in September, but I don't want to see anyone but her, so I doubt I'll go. I know her set would probably be super short, too. It would be nice if she did a show somewhere else while she's in town.

DaisyTweets

Anyone else see KB on GMA this morning???? Man were they way OVER selling her!!! They said that Billboard called her the next queen of country music!!!! Oh good grief, this is so not going to happen. Have they heard her perform live???? She's clearly another country performer that can't sing live!!!!!

Call me funny but I guess if you're going to call yourself a singer than maybe you should be able to sing and perform live!!!!

Kizmet311

I like KB and I like her debut album. I don't think her singles (except PP) represented the best material on the album, as they picked the poppy, teeny-bopper oriented songs. I do think she struggles with live performances, though. I've never seen her in concert, so I don't know if it's limited to tv performances or just any live performance. I hope she strives to improve in that area. I think she is probably a good songwriter and an average singer and let's be honest here, her looks certainly don't hurt when she is being promoted to the mainstream. She is gorgeous. Her label has a ton of money to throw her direction and they are certainly trying their hardest to make her the next TS (although I hope she stops short of going completely pop and stays loyal to country). She also has a great personality for this kind of gig.

Overall, though, I like Maren Morris's music ten times better than KB's, although it took me some getting used to her voice at first. Maren is also very pretty, but I think her personality is a little more off-putting. Maren hasn't managed to hold my attention simply because I don't feel connected to her in anyway, even though I like her music. When I first listened to Hero, I was obsessed, saw her at Lexington's Red, White, & Boom festival last year and sang along to every word of every song and was super-excited when I heard she was coming to Louisville. By the time the Louisville show came around, I decided I would rather stay home than drive even just an hour to see her.

With Lauren Alaina, I like her music pretty good, I think it is better than KB's, she has a killer voice, and her personality is just adorable. I just haven't had much time to really dedicate to getting to know her music, although I think I've listened to each of her albums one time.

Right now, though, I am most excited about Carly Pearce, because she is a KY girl, she's gorgeous, and I adore her voice and the 2 songs I've heard from her. I really hope she makes a splash with her debut album, because I think she's got the whole package. I haven't watched her enough to know anything about her personality, but hopefully she has the whole package that will allow her to really excel in the mainstream.

gocountrymusic

I finally listened to Kelsea's new song. It kinda sounds of a more general (lyrically) version of Taylor Swift's song Long Live. I could've sworn there was a line about "wearing the crown you gave me" in both songs. I kinda rolled my eyes when she rhymed together and remember. One line I did really like and I think many people especially her young fan base is "we were neon in a grey crowd". I may be reading into this line too much but I think it hints at neon bars which has some tie to country music. I think its subtle and appreciate it. The other positive of the song is that a genuinely find her voice with the production very pleasant a pretty. Overall all I'd rate it over her three singles that all sounds the same (Love Me, Dibs and Yeah Boy) and below Peter Pan. I do hope for her that her team tries not as hard to make her appear as the next Taylor Swift. Clearly it has worked for her on radio so far but I think it would do her a disservice in the long run.

Momin

I like KB and I like her debut album. I don't think her singles (except PP) represented the best material on the album, as they picked the poppy, teeny-bopper oriented songs. I do think she struggles with live performances, though. I've never seen her in concert, so I don't know if it's limited to tv performances or just any live performance. I hope she strives to improve in that area. I think she is probably a good songwriter and an average singer and let's be honest here, her looks certainly don't hurt when she is being promoted to the mainstream. She is gorgeous. Her label has a ton of money to throw her direction and they are certainly trying their hardest to make her the next TS (although I hope she stops short of going completely pop and stays loyal to country). She also has a great personality for this kind of gig.

Overall, though, I like Maren Morris's music ten times better than KB's, although it took me some getting used to her voice at first. Maren is also very pretty, but I think her personality is a little more off-putting. Maren hasn't managed to hold my attention simply because I don't feel connected to her in anyway, even though I like her music. When I first listened to Hero, I was obsessed, saw her at Lexington's Red, White, & Boom festival last year and sang along to every word of every song and was super-excited when I heard she was coming to Louisville. By the time the Louisville show came around, I decided I would rather stay home than drive even just an hour to see her.

With Lauren Alaina, I like her music pretty good, I think it is better than KB's, she has a killer voice, and her personality is just adorable. I just haven't had much time to really dedicate to getting to know her music, although I think I've listened to each of her albums one time.

Right now, though, I am most excited about Carly Pearce, because she is a KY girl, she's gorgeous, and I adore her voice and the 2 songs I've heard from her. I really hope she makes a splash with her debut album, because I think she's got the whole package. I haven't watched her enough to know anything about her personality, but hopefully she has the whole package that will allow her to really excel in the mainstream.

I actually don't think Kelsea struggles with live performances. She isn't necessarily a powerhouse but I've seen her quite on point with the range that she does have. Her acoustic performances of LMLYMI and PP at the CMA Awards make that evident. I also think her phrasing, emphasis on certain words and pacing in songs like "Square Pegs" and "XO" are pretty good and especially handy for a country singer who can bring more depth and emotion in a song with such a tactic. In that way, I find this skill similar to Carrie's where she's able to pace her wordings that make for an effective vocal.

The video I'm posting is one of my favourite performances by Kelsea. Her vocals are good along with the overall, happy vibe that the song should exude.
However, I also think she could have had better singles that showed more variety. Both SP and XO are songs that could have showed a different side to her (especially the former since I personally like the theme of the inclusion); "Stilettos" and "Secondhand Smoke" are also powerful songs that showcase her songwriting much better than some of the feel-good singles.

As for Maren Morris, I don't know how accurate this might be, I would compare her personality to that of Miranda while Kelsea's is closer to Carrie/Taylor. Maren and Miranda can seem off-putting to audiences because of their more 'serious' persona; I remember an article/blogs around that talked about Miranda's serious face and how she doesn't smile too much, even when the camera is on her at award shows; that doesn't mean she's someone with attitude; not being comfortable too much attention is perhaps one of the reasons she has that kind of 'attitude' going on; I think the same is for Maren who can seem contrived and someone who just keeps to herself mostly; both women are, in fact, anything but arrogant off stage and have been noted to be humble in person. Kelsea is more bubbly and charming like Carrie and Taylor were specifically noted for particularly at the start of their careers. I personally like watching her interviews and performances as well because she genuinely seems happy and excited as a young artist would be in her position.

Lauren Alaina is someone I personally really like and also love watching her performing and giving interviews. She's absolutely herself all the time and that is what I find really cute. She isn't trying to be charming but that is what, in fact, makes her really charming! I really like her album and her vocals are impressive as well. The only problem I had with the album was every song, at times, sounding very similar to the previous one in terms of production and structure. Other than that, I found songs like "Painting Pillows" and "Three" as standouts, both lyrically and vocally. The former is my favourite song by her. I can't find it on YouTube but you guys should listen to it when you get the change.

Carly Pearce also seems promising, although I feel like she might suffer the same fate as that of Cam and other female artists who gain a lot of attention with one single that seems to capture audiences but then stall at the charts. I was sad to see Cam, Kacey Musgraves and others not getting more success. Hopefully Carly, Lauren and Maren won't suffer the same fate!

Farawayhills

I agree about Kelsea Ballerini's infectious personality and obvious sense of fun in interviews and performance. I also think she handled her opening radio tour (which was built around live acoustic performances) well.
This is a performance at the Opry, from last year. She is not Alison Krauss - but that doesn't mean she can't handle this song credibly, and with a sense of the occasion (I'm also reminded of an interview quote by Alison herself - in a different context - but still a wise saying, to bear in mind when we're tempted to compare artists:
"When you stop comparing yourself to how great you think somebody else is, and you say I'm just going to express myself as truthfully as I can, that's when you start to grow")

Farawayhills

Working through that list, I thought it might be worthwhile to also post Carrie's version of "Cold Day in July"

The song was actually recorded first (I think) by Suzi Bogguss, but her version only appeared as an album track, and is consequently less well known. Joy Lynn White's version came very shortly after, and was released as a single, and thus is usually thought of as the original. The Chicks included the song on "Fly", their second Mainstream album (but fifth overall), in 1999, releasing it as a single in 2000.

Carrie's version is stylistically based on that of the Chicks. There is often some confusion on the internet, over her age and the date - but it was around 2001, when she was about 18, on her self-titled covers album "Carrie Underwood". (Both the title "Broken Wing", and the cover art shown in the picture above were later fan creations when the songs were repackaged.) The original disc, which was sold on merchandise tables after gigs, is very rare, and had a colour picture of Carrie on the cover:

Second-Demo-Album-cover.jpg

Last edited: