Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 CMAs

rcramer

Eh different takes I guess, her 29:Written in Stone is one of the best country albums I’ve heard. Plus she’s starting to become an awards favorite.
Definitely different, because she doesn't appeal to me either. Not to say the album wouldn't be considered that, but at a vocalist standpoint,, just another average female country singer, IMO don't stand out vocally.... With the exception of Carrie, I would go with what Momin called the dark horse Lainey Wilson.

Last edited:

Momin

Eh different takes I guess, her 29:Written in Stone is one of the best country albums I’ve heard. Plus she’s starting to become an awards favorite.
Agreed. I think her album was stunning, such a welcome downright country record. Her ethos and homage to country music history has been unparalleled so far amongst the current crop of female singers. Her dedication to the Opry, bringing back Patty Loveless on her record, being invited by Dolly, writing a song about Loretta, being inducted by Trisha - and everybody testifies to her love for country music. Yes she doesn't have Carrie's vocal range but who does?! Her songwriting and emotional vocal delivery stand on their own.

maddkat

Staff member
^ yeah but outside of her love for country music she's hasn't done much to warrant a FVOTY. She toured small theaters (2-3K) and couldn't even sell them out and her album was a re release of an ep ( from Feb) with some songs added. Let's don't talk vocals. But I concede she's their new fav so she'll win. It's depressing how bad these voters are.

adam1995

^ yeah but outside of her love for country music she's hasn't done much to warrant a FVOTY. She toured small theaters (2-3K) and couldn't even sell them out and her album was a re release of an ep ( from Feb) with some songs added. Let's don't talk vocals. But I concede she's their new fav so she'll win. It's depressing how bad these voters are.
She's had multiple hits, including a #1 female-female duet, there was an entire extra EP worth of songs added to the original. She has been a face of country recently, she absolutely has earned a win in this category. Who cares if she toured smaller venues, she's not vying for Entertainer. I'd rather someone with a real case win an award than just a lazy name check that the voters usually do. There would be literally nothing bad about this win.

There really needs to stop being a comparison with Carrie for every female artist at every turn here. It really dilutes truly talented people, because they don't stand up to an actual legend (Carrie). It's just unrealistic.

Take a year like 1992 at the CMA's Mary Chapin Carpenter won Female Vocalist. She was nominated against Reba, Tanya Tucker, Wynonna and Trisha Yearwood. All four are inarguably bigger more iconic artists and better vocalists, but Mary Chapin Carpenter won. But she had huge hits and presence, so I'd say she definitely had a reason to win. Like damn, sometimes someone else is deserving.

Smokyiiis

It just seems that any award Carrie has won she's had to work ten times harder than everyone else to get it. I think as fans we get frustrated with this. It's telling in our disappointment year after year when we know that Carrie is more than worthy of the EOTY award that they don't want her to have.

Momin

But we all know that despite the title of the award, it's not for the vocal capabilities of an artist - it's what their artistry, presence, country ethos, radio success etc. represent. That's why ACMs changed their award to Female/Male Artist of the Year. "Vocalist" is just an old name being carried forward and if vocals are all the voters saw, then Reba, Dolly, Taylor, Miranda, Carly - none of them would have won the award. Only the Martinas and Trishas and Carries of that category would have been winners due to their vocal prowess.

rcramer

^^^ Or was it WME that changed the rules... LOL

But if it is more about that, then vocalist should be removed from the title and just make it male/female artist of the year. That would encompass it all.

adam1995

But we all know that despite the title of the award, it's not for the vocal capabilities of an artist - it's what their artistry, presence, country ethos, radio success etc. represent. That's why ACMs changed their award to Female/Male Artist of the Year. "Vocalist" is just an old name being carried forward and if vocals are all the voters saw, then Reba, Dolly, Taylor, Miranda, Carly - none of them would have won the award. Only the Martinas and Trishas and Carries of that category would have been winners due to their vocal prowess.
Beg to differ on these two, lol.

Momin

CATEGORY NO. 5 – FEMALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR

This Award goes to the artist. The Award is based on individual musical performance on a solo Country single or album release, as well as the overall contribution to Country Music.

^From the CMA website. I don't know why we are still fixated on the word vocalist itself and getting bitter about Carrie not winning. It's not just about vocal technique of course.

FanSince04

I love Reba and think she is an amazing vocalist. However, I understand your point.

Hil

She's had multiple hits, including a #1 female-female duet, there was an entire extra EP worth of songs added to the original. She has been a face of country recently, she absolutely has earned a win in this category. Who cares if she toured smaller venues, she's not vying for Entertainer. I'd rather someone with a real case win an award than just a lazy name check that the voters usually do. There would be literally nothing bad about this win.

There really needs to stop being a comparison with Carrie for every female artist at every turn here. It really dilutes truly talented people, because they don't stand up to an actual legend (Carrie). It's just unrealistic.

Take a year like 1992 at the CMA's Mary Chapin Carpenter won Female Vocalist. She was nominated against Reba, Tanya Tucker, Wynonna and Trisha Yearwood. All four are inarguably bigger more iconic artists and better vocalists, but Mary Chapin Carpenter won. But she had huge hits and presence, so I'd say she definitely had a reason to win. Like damn, sometimes someone else is deserving.
The face of country? Where? I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, but I don't see her anywhere that anyone else isn't.

countrymusicfan15

The face of country? Where? I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, but I don't see her anywhere that anyone else isn't.
I agree. I still don’t think anyone has come close to the success Carrie and Miranda had/have. I get the industry and other people wanting them to pass the torch, but I personally don’t think anyone has earned it yet. I still think every year since 2006 it has been either Carrie or Miranda (and Taylor a few years in there) who have deserved the award (same goes for this year too). Maybe Carly will also deserve it one day, but imo that time is not here yet.

The Nanook

^^ I disagree.
If the one deserving doesn't win a VOCAL award what's the point of the award?
Except it's very clearly not and has never been an award about literal singing ability. The category description, as Momin posted, has been known and discussed for years so I'm not sure why this argument keeps coming up. "Vocalist" just means "singer."

It's too bad we have to shoot down another female over the mere possibility of winning an award over Carrie, especially one that is very deserving. Carly is sweeping the awards circuit next year with "What He Didn't Do" anyway so you all have a year to prepare 😂

Hil

I agree. I still don’t think anyone has come close to the success Carrie and Miranda had/have. I get the industry and other people wanting them to pass the torch, but I personally don’t think anyone has earned it yet. I still think every year since 2006 it has been either Carrie or Miranda (and Taylor a few years in there) who have deserved the award (same goes for this year too). Maybe Carly will also deserve it one day, but imo that time is not here yet.
She's not. She's not even known at all outside a section of country. People who like her want to pump her up. She's very underwhelming IMO. And it's just my opinion. I'm sure she's a very lovely person. Nothing personal. And for the record I"m not knocking her to pump Carrie up LOL, I just don't find her very interesting or good to listen to. She's super boring to me. BUT my favorite country people have always been Carrie & Sugarland. They were freaking awesome. Personal preference. I really liked The Band Perry for the minute and a half they were in country. I enjoy LBT, but more so their older stuff, even though they're still great.

FanSince04

One of the best singers country’s ever
Hands down.

On a different note, Carrie deserves the award this year though. Duet.. multiple checks, Album… check, Tour/Residency… check (possibly double check), Opry performances… check, Single… check (Top 5 too), Concerts/Festivals… multiple checks, and the list could continue. Vocals are just a cherry on top!