Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 CMAs

rcramer

She's not. She's not even known at all outside a section of country. People who like her want to pump her up. She's very underwhelming IMO. And it's just my opinion. I'm sure she's a very lovely person. Nothing personal. And for the record I"m not knocking her to pump Carrie up LOL, I just don't find her very interesting or good to listen to. She's super boring to me. BUT my favorite country people have always been Carrie & Sugarland. They were freaking awesome. Personal preference. I really liked The Band Perry for the minute and a half they were in country. I enjoy LBT, but more so their older stuff, even though they're still great.
So sad the Band Perry went in another direction, I really liked them…

adam1995

I agree. I still don’t think anyone has come close to the success Carrie and Miranda had/have. I get the industry and other people wanting them to pass the torch, but I personally don’t think anyone has earned it yet. I still think every year since 2006 it has been either Carrie or Miranda (and Taylor a few years in there) who have deserved the award (same goes for this year too). Maybe Carly will also deserve it one day, but imo that time is not here yet.
Again you’re comparing everyone to legends. It’s not a fair comparison, but it doesn’t mean those others aren’t deserving.

Reactions: Hil

adam1995

She's not. She's not even known at all outside a section of country. People who like her want to pump her up. She's very underwhelming IMO. And it's just my opinion. I'm sure she's a very lovely person. Nothing personal. And for the record I"m not knocking her to pump Carrie up LOL, I just don't find her very interesting or good to listen to. She's super boring to me. BUT my favorite country people have always been Carrie & Sugarland. They were freaking awesome. Personal preference. I really liked The Band Perry for the minute and a half they were in country. I enjoy LBT, but more so their older stuff, even though they're still great.
I don’t know what a section of country means, but she doesn’t need to be known outside of country for a country award.

adam1995

Hands down.

On a different note, Carrie deserves the award this year though. Duet.. multiple checks, Album… check, Tour/Residency… check (possibly double check), Opry performances… check, Single… check (Top 5 too), Concerts/Festivals… multiple checks, and the list could continue. Vocals are just a cherry on top!
Just give her Entertainer and I’m good. She’s kind of past vocalist at this point.

rcramer

Hands down.

On a different note, Carrie deserves the award this year though. Duet.. multiple checks, Album… check, Tour/Residency… check (possibly double check), Opry performances… check, Single… check (Top 5 too), Concerts/Festivals… multiple checks, and the list could continue. Vocals are just a cherry on top!
Not to mention, based on the Award category that momin posted earlier, name anyone of the current nominees that had one individual music performance that out did GS when she sang it on the CMT music awards.

As for Reba I can whole heartily agree,I always said Carrie’s Career emulated the same as Reba even to the owning Queen of Country that was handed down….

countrymusicfan15

Again you’re comparing everyone to legends. It’s not a fair comparison, but it doesn’t mean those others aren’t deserving.
Yeah I just think the MOST deserving should win. I’m sorry I don’t think the vocalist in 3rd place should take the 1st place win? Technically I’d put Kelsea 3rd but she’s not even nominated 💁‍♂️

maddkat

Staff member
CATEGORY NO. 5 – FEMALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR

This Award goes to the artist. The Award is based on individual musical performance on a solo Country single or album release, as well as the overall contribution to Country Music.

^From the CMA website. I don't know why we are still fixated on the word vocalist itself and getting bitter about Carrie not winning. It's not just about vocal technique of course.

even by their criteria Carrie deserves the award, joining and playing the Opry is not a reason to give someone the award. It certainly wasn't in 2010 when Carrie joined and played the Opry yet lost. Why should it be now.

edit: error Carrie was inducted in 2008 but my point still stands that 2010 was an amazingly huge year for Carrie - big arena tour, #1s ,and yet... nothing from the CMAs. The same criteria some of you are using to say Carly deserves it didn't work in 2010 for Carrie why should it work now?

Last edited:

CU4ever

Realistically, I am not expecting Carrie to win anything. She had her best years ever in the past and couldn't win those years, I don't expect anything to change this year

Momin

I agree. I still don’t think anyone has come close to the success Carrie and Miranda had/have. I get the industry and other people wanting them to pass the torch, but I personally don’t think anyone has earned it yet. I still think every year since 2006 it has been either Carrie or Miranda (and Taylor a few years in there) who have deserved the award (same goes for this year too). Maybe Carly will also deserve it one day, but imo that time is not here yet.
Tbf that probably was a big argument when Carrie won in her first year as Female Vocalist at the CMAs, let's not forget that. According to naysayers, she was extremely new, hadn't "paid her dues", she had come off of a talent show known primarily for the pop format (most of who were failures in the industry). Yes she had an amazing year but the people she was against:

Faith Hill - who had at that point had a great comeback with Fireflies and was, arguably, at the top of her game since many years
Martina McBride - who had also had a great comeback with Anyway and was doing very well
Sara Evans - perhaps one of the most overlooked female country singers, never even won a CMA FVOTY award and was probably having one of the best years of her career with A Real Fine Place; her singles were doing extremely well even on other formats and probably could have taken the award given how long and hard she had been working

Gretchen Wilson was probably the weakest in that category so won't argue for her.

My point in saying - that when Carrie won that year, all her fans of course celebrated and rejoiced and thought she deserved it whereas a big portion of people were still not on board with Carrie. And we know how much it stings us to date when people say she didn't pay her dues and she doesn't deserve the success she got etc. Let's not do the same to other female artists and let them have their moment too.

Momin

even by their criteria Carrie deserves the award, joining and playing the Opry is not a reason to give someone the award. It certainly wasn't in 2010 when Carrie joined and played the Opry yet lost. Why should it be now.
I never said getting into the Opry was the criteria (just like Ashley McBryde will most likely not win the award next year after her induction, and just like Kelsea didn't win after hers), I mentioned that as *one* of the things. At least for FVOTY, I think Carly has done more than Carrie this year, has had more success than her (let's be honest, D&R is not a smash album) and is still doing very well. Again, it's what she has represented and stood for this whole year. In the end I know we still disagree and that's okay - I just don't think we need to put her down as much because her achievements and current place in country music is being completely reduced to nothing in these discussions.

maddkat

Staff member
^ and I never said it was part of the criteria. No one is putting her down but it's being made to seem like she's done more then she has - released an album, did a small theater tour ,which didn't sell out, had a duet go #1 and joined the Opry. Good year but when you also take into consideration her vocals she's not fvoty worthy imo. But again I concede good PR is a large part of the unmentioned criteria these voters use so she'll most likely win.

Last edited:

rcramer

^ and I never said it was part of the criteria. No one is putting her down but it's being made to seem like she's done more then she has - released an album, did a small theater tour ,which didn't sell out, had a duet go #1 and joined the Opry. Good year but when you also take into consideration her vocals she's not fvoty worthy imo. But again I concede good PR is a large part of the unmentioned criteria these voters use so she'll most likely win.

And IMO that is where I find myself too.. And I'm sure she will win too, and 'm fine with it...

rcramer

I never said getting into the Opry was the criteria (just like Ashley McBryde will most likely not win the award next year after her induction, and just like Kelsea didn't win after hers), I mentioned that as *one* of the things. At least for FVOTY, I think Carly has done more than Carrie this year, has had more success than her (let's be honest, D&R is not a smash album) and is still doing very well. Again, it's what she has represented and stood for this whole year. In the end I know we still disagree and that's okay - I just don't think we need to put her down as much because her achievements and current place in country music is being completely reduced to nothing in these discussions.

I guess I struggle with where people think she is being put down. It's okay that people have a different opinion over one vocally. And for me the biggest part of the award should represent the vocalist portion of it, hence the outstanding solo performance, everything else should follow that. But like Donna mentioned I think back room dealings are done at the voter level. And WME is a huge part of that...

And I'm okay with whoever wins, I would go for the dark horse Lainey if Carrie don't, which of course not holding my breath....

rcramer

Tbf that probably was a big argument when Carrie won in her first year as Female Vocalist at the CMAs, let's not forget that. According to naysayers, she was extremely new, hadn't "paid her dues", she had come off of a talent show known primarily for the pop format (most of who were failures in the industry). Yes she had an amazing year but the people she was against:

Faith Hill - who had at that point had a great comeback with Fireflies and was, arguably, at the top of her game since many years
Martina McBride - who had also had a great comeback with Anyway and was doing very well
Sara Evans - perhaps one of the most overlooked female country singers, never even won a CMA FVOTY award and was probably having one of the best years of her career with A Real Fine Place; her singles were doing extremely well even on other formats and probably could have taken the award given how long and hard she had been working

Gretchen Wilson was probably the weakest in that category so won't argue for her.

My point in saying - that when Carrie won that year, all her fans of course celebrated and rejoiced and thought she deserved it whereas a big portion of people were still not on board with Carrie. And we know how much it stings us to date when people say she didn't pay her dues and she doesn't deserve the success she got etc. Let's not do the same to other female artists and let them have their moment too.
Well IMO it doesn't matter if you are new and or have not paid your dues, Did she not fit the criteria for the award to go ahead and win it? If she fit the criteria and was the best vocalist that year then she won it fairly.. Carrie came into the country scene as one that was vocally on par with any artist in the genre... Even that was made evident by Simon Cowell on an interview with Oprah...

Momin

I guess I struggle with where people think she is being put down. It's okay that people have a different opinion over one vocally. And for me the biggest part of the award should represent the vocalist portion of it, hence the outstanding solo performance, everything else should follow that. But like Donna mentioned I think back room dealings are done at the voter level. And WME is a huge part of that...

And I'm okay with whoever wins, I would go for the dark horse Lainey if Carrie don't, which of course not holding my breath....
I respect difference of opinion but I do think she's put down when the vibe is "what has she even done?!" For me at least, a good actual constructive comparison of achievements over the past one year is missing to justify the "what has she even done to deserve it" statement.

And of course, no one is disputing the fact that her vocal range is limited - but we've already discussed that vocal range is not the criteria here. If it was, Carrie, Martina, Faith Hill, Trisha Yearwood and maybe Sara Evans would probably be the only winners in the last 15 years.

rcramer

let me clarify though I’m not talking about vocal range as oppose to being a great vocalist. You don’t have to necessarily be a singer with high range like Carrie to win the award. it should be based off of outstanding solo performance as a singer, which should be the big merit of the award. then the other things that they look for…

Many of the female singers lack range but some are great vocalists….. None of course on Carrie’s level when it comes to power and range as a singer.. Just being real here….

Michael Reid

If you go to the link on their website it already showing what is being performed. Carrie is performing Hate my heart. No one is listed for the Loretta tribute, but I’d imagine that’s a given.
Carly is listed as a performer twice. She’s doing Dear Miss Loretta plus the trio with Kelsea and Kelly.

Reactions: Hil