Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Idol 2018 on ABC

pklongbeach

It’s no longer a surprise that they use stable established up and coming artists to create a consistent reliable show . I wish they would’v but I think it helps with consistent ancy. But I am always disappointed when I learn that they are using basically established acts to compete against true newbies. You should know going in the difference cause I believe that it would change opinions which of course is why they don’t. Oh well. They have done it for a while now

Kizmet311

It’s no longer a surprise that they use stable established up and coming artists to create a consistent reliable show . I wish they would’v but I think it helps with consistent ancy. But I am always disappointed when I learn that they are using basically established acts to compete against true newbies. You should know going in the difference cause I believe that it would change opinions which of course is why they don’t. Oh well. They have done it for a while now

I think it's been known for a while that The Voice kind of solicits or invites people to audition on the show and AI is probably doing it now, or maybe they did it even when it was on Fox. As others have said, I believe the only criteria for any of the shows is that you don't have an active recording deal. The Voice has actually had a few contestants that I know of for sure that were active recording artists with labels at one point and then got dropped from their labels so they were technically eligible (Billy Gilman, Meghan Linsey, Julie Roberts). To me that is worse than someone like Gabby who at least has never had an actual previous mainstream career. Even Carrie had a development deal that fell through and some early albums, although she didn't have the internet, Youtube, and iTunes to get her music out to the masses like some of these others do now.

I guess with these shows, all is fair. I would hate to think that someone like Carrie could have been eliminated from the show because she had released albums herself or had a development deal at one point. I'm not sure that Carrie ever did, but it is certainly possible that someone like her would have opened for a bigger named artist at a local music festival or state fair. Without AI, Gabby may have never gotten the right kind of exposure to break into the music industry beyond local gigs. I can see where it looks shady that she may have known Luke prior to the show and it wasn't disclosed, but meeting with his team two years ago doesn't necessarily mean they had much of a prior relationship. It may mean he encouraged her to audition for AI or told the producers to check her out, but any of the judges could have done the same thing. We don't know for sure that they stayed in contact regularly over the last two years.

As for Gabby pursuing country, I agree with others that say you don't have to have an accent to sing country music and I don't think her being from Pittsburgh is a reason she can't be country. It seems like she comes from a hardworking family and has a dad that has worked hard to provide for his family and to help make her dreams come true - those seem like true "country" values to me. Plus even though she clearly enjoys and can sing other genres like R&B, it seems like country is where her heart is. Maybe something will come along to change my mind about her country street cred, so to speak, but until then I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt. I contrast her with TS, also from Pennsylvania, in this manner, because TS went to Britney Spears camp and her family has always had lots of money and could pretty much buy her a record deal. I think TS truly went to Nashville because it was easier to break into the biz there as a songwriter and I truly feel she used country as a stepping stone to pop stardom. I never felt she genuinely honored the country music history in any way at all, but just used the genre and any homage she paid to those that came before her was just lip service. As of right now, I don't get that vibe from Gabby. She may be a fan of pop country rather than older country artists, but she's young so that is to be expected. If she truly feels she belongs in country music, I'm not going to begrudge her that, and hopefully she has gains some mentors that can help give her a deeper education on the history of country music so she can honor that as she moves forward.

Honestly, if I had to pick one of the two to hear on my radio, I would pick Gabby over Caleb hands down. I guess I just feel like there are enough guys in country music and I don't see that Caleb brings anything different to the table at all. Guys like him are a dime a dozen in country. Even with his genuine voice, there are still others that are just as good as him, IMHO. Gabby could definitely fit into a female country with an R&B flair niche - bringing in the female side to artists like Thomas Rhett and Sam Hunt. Maren Morris brings in a little bit of R&B, but I've kind of given up on her, because I honestly don't think Maren honors the country genre much. Gabby seems more genuinely country than Maren, to me. I think Kelsea is trying to fill the TS hole, but I think she actually cares about country music and I don't think she'll leave it for pop. Carly is probably the most genuinely country of the new ladies that are having some radio success. Lauren is probably the most like Carrie and I could see her trying to follow Carrie's path. I guess I think there's room for Gabby, although she might encroach on Maren or Kelsea's space a bit.

Anyway, just my two cents about everything since I haven't commented in a while. I suppose a lot of the conversation is centered on Gabby because win or lose, she is probably going to pursue a career in country music, which some people seem to have strong opinions about. Anything regarding the competition itself is pretty much water under the bridge at this point. Now it's just time to see if any of them take this exposure and are able to turn it into a successful music career.

rcramer

I think it's been known for a while that The Voice kind of solicits or invites people to audition on the show and AI is probably doing it now, or maybe they did it even when it was on Fox. As others have said, I believe the only criteria for any of the shows is that you don't have an active recording deal. The Voice has actually had a few contestants that I know of for sure that were active recording artists with labels at one point and then got dropped from their labels so they were technically eligible (Billy Gilman, Meghan Linsey, Julie Roberts). To me that is worse than someone like Gabby who at least has never had an actual previous mainstream career. Even Carrie had a development deal that fell through and some early albums, although she didn't have the internet, Youtube, and iTunes to get her music out to the masses like some of these others do now.

I guess with these shows, all is fair. I would hate to think that someone like Carrie could have been eliminated from the show because she had released albums herself or had a development deal at one point. I'm not sure that Carrie ever did, but it is certainly possible that someone like her would have opened for a bigger named artist at a local music festival or state fair. Without AI, Gabby may have never gotten the right kind of exposure to break into the music industry beyond local gigs. I can see where it looks shady that she may have known Luke prior to the show and it wasn't disclosed, but meeting with his team two years ago doesn't necessarily mean they had much of a prior relationship. It may mean he encouraged her to audition for AI or told the producers to check her out, but any of the judges could have done the same thing. We don't know for sure that they stayed in contact regularly over the last two years.

As for Gabby pursuing country, I agree with others that say you don't have to have an accent to sing country music and I don't think her being from Pittsburgh is a reason she can't be country. It seems like she comes from a hardworking family and has a dad that has worked hard to provide for his family and to help make her dreams come true - those seem like true "country" values to me. Plus even though she clearly enjoys and can sing other genres like R&B, it seems like country is where her heart is. Maybe something will come along to change my mind about her country street cred, so to speak, but until then I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt. I contrast her with TS, also from Pennsylvania, in this manner, because TS went to Britney Spears camp and her family has always had lots of money and could pretty much buy her a record deal. I think TS truly went to Nashville because it was easier to break into the biz there as a songwriter and I truly feel she used country as a stepping stone to pop stardom. I never felt she genuinely honored the country music history in any way at all, but just used the genre and any homage she paid to those that came before her was just lip service. As of right now, I don't get that vibe from Gabby. She may be a fan of pop country rather than older country artists, but she's young so that is to be expected. If she truly feels she belongs in country music, I'm not going to begrudge her that, and hopefully she has gains some mentors that can help give her a deeper education on the history of country music so she can honor that as she moves forward.

Honestly, if I had to pick one of the two to hear on my radio, I would pick Gabby over Caleb hands down. I guess I just feel like there are enough guys in country music and I don't see that Caleb brings anything different to the table at all. Guys like him are a dime a dozen in country. Even with his genuine voice, there are still others that are just as good as him, IMHO. Gabby could definitely fit into a female country with an R&B flair niche - bringing in the female side to artists like Thomas Rhett and Sam Hunt. Maren Morris brings in a little bit of R&B, but I've kind of given up on her, because I honestly don't think Maren honors the country genre much. Gabby seems more genuinely country than Maren, to me. I think Kelsea is trying to fill the TS hole, but I think she actually cares about country music and I don't think she'll leave it for pop. Carly is probably the most genuinely country of the new ladies that are having some radio success. Lauren is probably the most like Carrie and I could see her trying to follow Carrie's path. I guess I think there's room for Gabby, although she might encroach on Maren or Kelsea's space a bit.

Anyway, just my two cents about everything since I haven't commented in a while. I suppose a lot of the conversation is centered on Gabby because win or lose, she is probably going to pursue a career in country music, which some people seem to have strong opinions about. Anything regarding the competition itself is pretty much water under the bridge at this point. Now it's just time to see if any of them take this exposure and are able to turn it into a successful music career.

Thank you, I truly admire your respectful post..... You're two cents is well taken with me......

Smokyiiis

I support women in country music and so do about 99.9 percent of the people on Carrie fans. I’m especially happy with Lauren Alaina’s recent successes. So I also support American idols. I just found that gabby added no originality to her country music and much preferred her r & b side because they sounded DIFFERENT than the original singers version. Fire away at me for having that opinion

rcramer

^^ One of the big problems is Radio does not support women in country..... Luckily Carrie don't have that problem....

Smokyiiis

^^^^That’s the truth! Look how long it took to even get her nomination for new artist at the cma’s (Lauren)!

Smokyiiis

But to be frank even the young up and coming men are having a hard time breaking thru. At least they are getting their music played a bit more though! I just don’t understand it

Avira

I agree with maddkat and Smokyiis that the show should have disclosed that Gabby opened for Luke. It was a potential conflict of interest when you clearly favour a contestant based on your prior history with her instead of judging her fairly. I don't agree that it's fair just because The Voice has contestants that have previous ties to the coaches. The Voice is very shady in how it works.

Audra

thank you for your post!! I admire you making this long post and hopefully this can help put this all to rest.

Hil

This is a general comment about the show.

For me, and I know the shows feel like they have to do this, but I wish the show was totally organic just one season. I wish the judges actually said what they truly thought, I wish the contestants were chosen only by their talent and not their backstory. I wish they waited until they started live shows for the show to start airing as to give the remaining contestants equal camera time so America could truly decide instead of being force fed certain contestants. I get it's a show, but I really think it would be interesting to see who won and how it ended if they tried to be authentic just once. Please don't take that as meaning any of the winners shouldn't have won or that it's completely rigged. I think they actually count the votes lol I just think it would make for a really interesting show. Some of what made me stop watching idol is that, to me, it kept getting more and more obvious they were casting. There are AMAZING singers who don't get past the first round. I also wish the judges didn't make their comments to sway the votes, but just to give constructive criticism and honesty. I'm sure we'll never a see a show that looks like that, but I think it would be really cool if they could manage authenticity for just one season.

Smokyiiis

For me, and I know the shows feel like they have to do this, but I wish the show was totally organic just one season. I wish the judges actually said what they truly thought, I wish the contestants were chosen only by their talent and not their backstory. I wish they waited until they started live shows for the show to start airing as to give the remaining contestants equal camera time so America could truly decide instead of being force fed certain contestants. I get it's a show, but I really think it would be interesting to see who won and how it ended if they tried to be authentic just once. Please don't take that as meaning any of the winners shouldn't have won or that it's completely rigged. I think they actually count the votes lol I just think it would make for a really interesting show. Some of what made me stop watching idol is that, to me, it kept getting more and more obvious they were casting. There are AMAZING singers who don't get past the first round. I also wish the judges didn't make their comments to sway the votes, but just to give constructive criticism and honesty. I'm sure we'll never a see a show that looks like that, but I think it would be really cool if they could manage authenticity for just one season.

Ive been wanting to say these exact words and you did it quite eloquently! Thanks for your post!

Kizmet311

I would love to see that as well. It's clear that they handpick some artists early on and the judges/producers had WAY too much influence on AI this season with getting to pick so many spots in the Top 10. The entire Top 10 should have been based on America's votes. Some artists, like Layla, way overstayed their welcome and talent, while others didn't stay long enough. Plus the multiple eliminations each week was just insane. We barely had time to get to know some of them! I hope that with a season under their belt, the producers and judges can make some tweaks and I hope they get a longer season so the live shows aren't so rushed. The judges should have picked the Top 24 like they did in the past and then maybe get rid of two each week until the Top 10 (based on voting), and then one per week from there. Hopefully since this season was successful they will get more time next year or will figure out how to better utilize their time.

And yeah, at least one judge needs to figure out how to do the constructive criticism. Katy tries, but sometimes she acts so crazy that it almost discredits her critiques for me.

Kizmet311

Also, wanted to say that even though I really like Maddie and even though I somewhat defended Gabby in my lengthy post above, I can't say that at this moment I will buy any of the three's music. They will really have to put out some music that I like for me to do that. I haven't even bought any of their newly released Idol singles. I can say that it is highly unlikely that I would ever buy Caleb's music. Gabby is more likely than Caleb, but I would probably just stream it to see if I like it first. She still hasn't grabbed me with her personality for some reason. I adore Maddie, but I would have to wait and see what style of music she releases.

simonplay

^^ Well Ryan did said in a interview that next season will be longer probably. I hope for less auditions, hollywood week and more live shows, and no more multiple eliminations.

Smokyiiis

Agree! Likely said this much earlier but it was extremely choppy with little time to connect to the singers/contestants with the mass eliminations. I’m glad Ryan said it would be longer next year. I didn’t remember hearing that

DaisyTweets

Well, they need to figure something out because Idol was just too rushed and they really messed with the charm of DWTS!!!!! Both shows are really at their best when America is allowed is discover and grow with those on the show. If there's another season of both shows the way they did them this year, then I think I'm done watching both shows. Granted, I'm only one viewer but I'm one viewer and when viewers are the name of the game losing even a few can make a big difference.

rcramer

I would love to see that as well. It's clear that they handpick some artists early on and the judges/producers had WAY too much influence on AI this season with getting to pick so many spots in the Top 10. The entire Top 10 should have been based on America's votes. Some artists, like Layla, way overstayed their welcome and talent, while others didn't stay long enough. Plus the multiple eliminations each week was just insane. We barely had time to get to know some of them! I hope that with a season under their belt, the producers and judges can make some tweaks and I hope they get a longer season so the live shows aren't so rushed. The judges should have picked the Top 24 like they did in the past and then maybe get rid of two each week until the Top 10 (based on voting), and then one per week from there. Hopefully since this season was successful they will get more time next year or will figure out how to better utilize their time.

And yeah, at least one judge needs to figure out how to do the constructive criticism. Katy tries, but sometimes she acts so crazy that it almost discredits her critiques for me.

Katy, drove me nuts.... I never knew how she made it in the business anyway, to me she was never a great vocalist...

I thought Lionel would have been more concise on the vocal delivery, or song as oppose to the other aspects he focused on.

And Luke Bryan was just there to be there....... Kieth Urban was a much better judge.....