Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert to Divorce

Farawayhills

I understand that both singers are expected to honour appearances at a festival in Minnesota in early August, where they are booked to headline shows separately on succeeding days.

On the question of the tweets, Miranda has, to date, made precisely two (which hardly amounts to a campaign). Both strike me as consistent with her attitude, and I don't share the view that they appear odd. The first tweet was initiated by Blake, in support of Ashley's album. Miranda replied politely, agreeing. I would expect her to do this. Firstly, Ashley is a friend, who has worked with both artists - and, secondly, Miranda does not seem likely to duck a reply in circumstances that might suggest she was unwilling to face her ex husband.

In the second tweet, Miranda quickly took up a picture which Blake himself had posted, and made a joke about it. This, again, strikes me as consistent. She is temperamentally unlikely to allow Blake to appear to have the last word, or to be calling the shots by only deciding when to tweet. If some don't like this, so be it - but it didn't seem unexpected to me. (There is, though, some sign that Blake may not have been expecting the second tweet - a fan tweeted to him suggesting that that they set up the tweets as a joint endeavour, and he replied 'Nope, biuddy, not at all').

At present, at least when I last looked, that is all there was to the exchange. Blake has made more tweets randomly, mainly with what he probably considers "good ole boy" humour. Someone did tweet 'to him "losing respect because of this whole charade', to which he replied 'well, rest assured, not one sh*t is given'. I haven't followed his career closely, but on what I have seen, that is also consistent with some of his earlier attitude to criticism.

On the question of the celebrity gossip sites, with all due respect to those who enjoy them, I think if they've been mocked, it's no more than they deserve. The assumption apparently made by some of you that their sources have been Blake and Miranda, or people working for them, has not been backed up by any credible evidence that I've seen. As I suggested earlier, they seem just as likely to have originated from people connected with the TV and recording companies, seeking to protect their brands by parrying blame.

On the question of the divorce itself, I'm sorry for the parties involved and their families (extending also, in not a few cases, to fans, who sometimes invest a lot of emotion in artists' personal lives). Beyond that, though I'm not interested in the details. I can't say I was ever a fan of the marriage. Although I wouldn't go as far as the Roots blogger who said that he "wept" on hearing of their marriage, I certainly wasn't thrilled - the clash of musical styles seemed too great. I think, though, that they probably were happy, but may have come to realize that they had different expectations for the ongoing course of their married and professional lives. Now that it's over, I neither want them to make a further statement, nor to lie low. I understand the requests for dignity - but I think there are different definitions of dignity. For me, showing that they can face each other without apparent public acrimony is one of those.

rainbow1

There's an article on the front page of the Oklahoman today. "Were illegal shenanigans going on " with country stars' divorce? State law was broken when Blake filed for divorce in secret.Under the law , the judge must make public any sealing order. That order in the BS-ML divorce is not public. One lawyer said he can't imagine a scenario where you would ever seal an entire civil or divorce case.He said all it is about is protecting their buddies and cronyism. Somebody needs to put rogue judges in their place! I condensed the article.

pklongbeach

Wow, interesting. It still seems amicable. So at this point, I don't even know if it matters. All it really means is that the truth will be buried forever and Blake and Miranda can spin it any way they like. Which is what they seem to be wanting to do, for boths benefit.......

Farawayhills

There's an article on the front page of the Oklahoman today. "Were illegal shenanigans going on " with country stars' divorce? State law was broken when Blake filed for divorce in secret.Under the law , the judge must make public any sealing order. That order in the BS-ML divorce is not public. One lawyer said he can't imagine a scenario where you would ever seal an entire civil or divorce case.He said all it is about is protecting their buddies and cronyism. Somebody needs to put rogue judges in their place! I condensed the article.

That's interesting, Rainbow - I've been reading the articles.

Aaron Stiles (who drafted the legislation, but lost his House seat in the 2014 elections) is himself a lawyer, and comes from a background where money was not easily come by. In office, he concentrated on reform of legal process, arguing that the law should be more about people than about money. He says that moneyed people often get more protection from the courts than do poorer citizens - many of whom might want to keep their personal lives closed from public record, but are unable to do so,

(Against that, it could be argued that most poorer citizens are of little interest to celebrity gossip sites and are unlikely to have their personal lives dissected and speculated on for days. Judges have had discretion to lock documents if a strong privacy concern overwhelms any reasonable definition of the public interest. Reasonable public interest is likely to be stronger in the case of a politician, or a corporation arousing environmental or bribery concerns, for example - but, even so, the new law does require the opening of minimal documents in all cases, which seems to have been sidestepped. Apparently, the Oklahoma Supreme Court has previously warned judges not to misuse discretion to circumvent the law - but it seems no action has been taken beyond warnings.)

I think Blake grew up midway between Tishomingo and Shawnee, but not in this County. He seems to have gone to another County, to a judge who was due to retire in a week - which is bound to arouse suspicion. (However, he probably has access to lawyers who know the system, and are able to recommend how or where their interests might be best served, and what follow up is, or isn't, likely to ensue)

teesharky

^ The thing is, they may have filed under Irreconcilable Differences, or Irretrievable Breakdown of the Marriage (NY) or No Fault Divorce as we call it in NY. You don't have to list adultery, cheating, cruel and inhuman treatment, etc. You just say your marriage has been estranged for 6 months or more, so to speak-- and you file No Fault quickie divorces that way. So even though it is sealed-- they still may have filed under harmless grounds. I bet it is the financial agreements in the PreNup that they do not want the public to see.

pklongbeach

...pretty sure this does not make the divorce illegal ha ha ha.... Weather it was appropriate for a judge to allow it to be sealed or not does not exactly make the divorce illegal.

JB172

...pretty sure this does not make the divorce illegal ha ha ha.... Weather it was appropriate for a judge to allow it to be sealed or not does not exactly make the divorce illegal.

Yeah if it was appropriate for the judge to seal the documents is all that is in question the divorce itself isn't, that is on the judge for granting the request, any celeb couple would have asked for the same thing to be done but the judge doesn't have to agree to do it.

Farawayhills

That article only summarizes, in a national blog, what appeared a day or two ago in the Oklahoma press.
It isn't so much a matter of the divorce being illegal, as of the judge (apparently) "misdirecting himself" as to the minimum documentation he was required to leave open under the law passed last November.
What would normally happen is that the state Chief Justice would issue guidance/remonstrance to the judge concerened as to what should be done in such cases. This has apparently been done before in cases where judges are felt to be interpreting the law too leniently in favour of the respondents - but this particular judge appears to be retiring within a week, so that is now of little practical significance.

It's probably right that the pre-nup is significant here. An earlier report suggested that they mutually agreed the Oklahoma/Tennessee property split to avoid the details of their pre-nup being examined in court.

Unlike Blake, Miranda has no longstanding roots in Oklahoma, bur even so the property split may have been something of a wrench. On the one hand, she has appeared for some time, to be increasing her links with Tennessee, and has chosen to appear in three off-Broadway and East Nashville club-type venues this year. But on the other hand, she has opened two businesses in Tishomingo (they're not large businesses, but she has apparently taken a close personal interest in them), and has been active at events like horse shows in the state. (I think the ranch there was something of a refuge from her professional life for her, as implied in the song "Holding Onto You" and her remarks to Marie Claire Magazine)

rainbow1

I think it was in the Tulsa paper.....How the Tishemingo (sP) people are so sad that this is happening because of everything she has done in their little town. They say that she revived it. A lady that works for her there, says she will continue those businesses as usual!

Kizmet311

Didn't Miranda own a home/farm in Texas at one point? Hopefully she can use the Nashville house for business and still have an escape in Texas.

JB172

I have to give this Stiles guy credit for drawing attention to himself because of what the judge did in the case, if this was a anonymous rich couple who were getting divorced and were given the same sealed divorce because they have the means to do so instead of a high profile celeb couple I wonder if he says anything.

sco

All of this is just politicians posturing. I don't understand the logic behind the argument that the public has a right to know. While Blake and Miranda are celebrities they are not public officials so whatever happened between them has no bearing on the public beyond voyeurism.