Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie Underwood 6 - Cry Pretty Era

simonplay

TBH Storyteller is not my favorite album from Carrie either. Some Hearts and Blown Away are her best albums IMO. Some Hearts was just epic, she put all her excitment and power after winning Idol and you can feel that. And Blown Away was her most artistic album/era , all was perfect, she was on fire in every way.

Really hope that the next album we can see more fierce Carrie , rock Carrie and less laid back Carrie.

Last edited:

lolita55

As someone who comes from the non-country side of her fanbase, I have to put my 2 cents in here because she and her team did alienate people like myself who are fans of Carrie Underwood. Even as someone who doesn't exactly like country music, what I loved about her is that she brings the feel, vibe, power and strength of country musics lyrics, over to the pop fans, and keeps both sides happy, hence why she has such an enormous fanbase because there is something we all love about her for our own reasons. Storyteller was my least favourite album because I did not feel there was anything on there for her pop fans, it was very country sounding. Of course there is a song or two that I can bare with and I love, but overall the album goes quite unplanned in my house and I continue to play her previous albums. That is not to say I want a full pop Carrie (I have always loathed for a rock-country Carrie album, not like Blown away or 'cheater' songs but that real rock groove to them). I would never want to see her going to a sound to purely desire success and I never think she will do that which I love about her, but yes, the Storyteller album did exclude her fans that are not purely pop. Case and point with the sound. The success of it is something entirely different, but you cannot argue against the sound of the album which is purely country.

I have always felt sorry for Carrie in the sense that she not only has to appeal to the country side of her fans, but her pop fans and everyone else in between.

None of the artists since she has come out have had to do it. Not Miranda who only has to appeal to the country side, not Taylor who only really had to appeal to the pop fans and teens and young kids, and Sam Hunt and FGL, only have to appeal to the women and the people who like more r and b, and pop.

Also I think Carrie took care of her pop fans on ST by putting relapse, chaser, Mexico and clock don't stop on the album.

countrymusicfan15

Honestly who could not love Blown Away......... It was epic......

Surprisingly I wasn't the biggest BA fan. I loved the first 5 tracks, but I wasn't crazy about the rest of the album. Play On is still my favorite, with Storyteller right behind. I'm super excited for the next album!!! I have no idea what to expect.

Claire2004

^^I love Blown Away album. However, a few tracks kept it from becoming a perfectly solid album for me - namely Nobody Ever Told You, One Way Ticket, and Who Are You. Sorry lol, I know some of you loved NETY, but for me it's cliche after cliche of lines. The intention is good and pure, but I wish it could've been written better. Omit those 3 tracks, add in Oklahoma Wind instead (I know, I know, I'm like a broken record by now about this song lol), and maybe include a cover of a classic country tune if they don't have other songs that fit the album, and Blown Away would've been perfect. At least for me lol. I'd rather just have 12-13 tracks that are strong and tight that 14+ tracks but with some lackluster tracks thrown in.

Same scenario with Storyteller IMO. Had she excluded Clock Don't Stop and Mexico, added 1 other track that was as beautifully written as, say, LINLYA, then Storyteller will be perfect to me.

NC State Carrie Fan

Is Carnival Ride anyone else's favorite? This is the only album I haven't even seen mentioned. This is my favorite Carrie era and I loved everything about it. It was actually when I became a fan. That album doesn't have a bad song besides TMBIM.

I do love all of Carries other work but her other albums have awesome highlights and hen some songs that I don't care for as much but CR is like filled with songs I love. Play On is my second favorite favorite and then Blown Away. But someone show some love for CR!!

NC State Carrie Fan

Also, Storyteller is my least favorite Carrie album because I think it is the least country. The only country song that I believe is country sounding is Smoke Break and possibly The Girl You Think I Am. I do like the first half of the album, but Chaser, Relapse, Clock Don't Stop are all so pop sounding songs that I never listen past track 6 with the exception of Mexico. The other 3 singles are also more pop leaning than much of her past songs. Church Bells only "sounds" country because of the banjo at the beginning but still doesn't stand out to be country to me.

Renegade Runaway, Choctaw County Affair and Mexico all have country instruments but they all lean more on the rock side and don't really strike me as country. So I think Storyteller is more pop than country.

teesharky

How can anyone find Smoke Break not to be country? Lol

its amazing how some complain cuz it's too country and some complain cuz it's not country enough.

Poor Carrie can never please s to e.

I for one LoVe Storyteller and stand by that to the death. The critics gave it its highest marks for any Carrie album to date.

Sorry naysayers but the album itsekf was a was a big hit by today's poor sales standards. Platinum is great today.

rcramer

i think we need to still put the emphasis on that she is a "Country Singer" so all of her work is going to incorporate that. And she not only has a ginormous fanbase but a multi genre fanbase also which would make it hard to please everybody given any album she does...... What I like most is she has dipped herself into so many styles and genres and not just into country itself...... Really, what style cant Carrie sing?

But I for one am not one that is for one particular genre of music . If it is good song and sung well, then it most likely will get my attention......

lizcarlo

Considering Greatest Hits was released not that long before Storyteller, Smoke Break was different lead single then she has previously had and Storyteller was more country then her other albums Storyteller sold well. I don't care what style Carrie does for next album long as it has good songs. She has done different styles while incorporating country in her music because she can sing many different genres. I'm excited to see what she does next.

kelanob

I'm very excited to see what CU6 brings. I love Storyteller and some of my favorite songs are on that album, but I will say I was expecting (and hoping for) an album more along the lines of what Maren released: twangy, country, fun... though Carrie would have better ballads. I have a feeling CU6 is gonna be a huge, HUGE success for her though with a massive lead single and (somehow) an even larger tour that the Storyteller Tour.

pklongbeach

I am just going to continue to assume that ST was intended to be a concept album and that she and her team got that out of their systems and can not move back to something that Carrie is better at, which is a wide range of style and texture that allows for the music to live in a lot of different environments. ST was rather specific.

Even the pop songs were almost "experimental". Much different than anything she had ever tried. And frankly, did not work all that well for me. I liked hearing her use different elements to her voice. but did not particularly like the stories and themes they were expressing. (I mentioned several times during the roll out for ST I did not like the incessant use of smoking and drinking metaphors. It just does not seem to fit into the "real life of Carrie Underwood" very well. So it did not seem very authentic to me.)

I would love to go back to something between a Carnival Ride, which I thought had some great country songs on it, and Blown Away where the stories had deeper layers to them.

I will love whatever she does. I loved Play On!!

So I will be happy. Just no more smoke breaks please. My lungs can't take it!

adam1995

I don't think Storyteller was a concept album. Storyteller was a masterpiece and if she continued to move in that direction that would be fine, great in fact. But if she moves in the pop direction that's fine, but, and I'm sure she will retain the country sound, stay away from a "Play On" sound, and lyrics, just no please.

Kizmet311

I'm starting to think the titles that were released are older songs. There were some comments from the person at Pulse to that effect.