Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Country Album Sales Comparison

AdrianAustraliaCarrie

Hey guys,

If someone has the info, can we post the sales figures (debuts and week per week from now on) for all the new country albums that have just come out/are coming out between now and Christmas? Thanks! I think it would be great to compare artists albums and sales, especially with all the releases in the last third of 2014: Brad, Kenny, LadyA, Tim, Blake, Little Big Town, Sam Hunt, FGL, Carrie.etc.

For starters, the weekly sales updates for the current week would be great. How they update them around 15%, 40%, 65% and 100%.etc.

I'd love to see who sells more.etc.

Thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Adrian

Kizmet311

I think it would be cool to compare the first week sales of all the country albums, but the week to week will be harder to keep up with I think, unless someone knows a good place to get that official soundscan data. Also, this thread should be in the general Music section, not the Carrie section, I think. We already have chart threads for Carrie. We can include her in this for comparison if someone wants, but I still think it should go in the general Music section.

Eder Rodrigues

tM67HQk.gif

Last edited:

Kizmet311

Trying to decide which albums to buy this fall. I will probably get Lady A's 747 and I think I definitely want the Swon Brothers album. I liked what I heard of the preview tracks and of course, there is the song featuring Carrie. I also liked them on the Voice. I used to buy Jason Aldean's albums, but quit. I already bought Brad's album and I will get Carrie's obviously. I think that is probably all I will buy. LBT is hit and miss for me. I like some of their songs, but their music generally isn't something I want to listen to all the time. Their harmonies are beautiful, but sometimes their music just doesn't do it for me.

Eder Rodrigues

Hits Daily Double numbers (Official numbers tomorrow)

#1 BLAKE SHELTON - BRINGING BACK THE SUNSHINE - 101,841 (HDD prediction: 85-95k)
#2 LADY ANTEBELLUM - 747 - 72,938 (HDD Prediction: 67-72k)
#6 KENNY CHESNEY - THE BIG REVIVAL - 40,182 (-69%)
#21 GEORGE STRAIT - THE COWBOY RIDES AWAY LIVE- 14,547 (-33%)
#25 TIM MCGRAW - SUNDOWN HEAVEN TOWN - 12,597 (-46%)

In terms of %, George Strait have the smallest decreases

Kizmet311

Well, it looks like Blake might have at least managed to cross the 100k mark, which is good for him. I have always been a fan of Blake, especially his earlier work. He has had a few hits and some stuff that is generic, but in my opinion he really isn't any worse than Brad or Keith Urban or Rascal Flatts - all of their music eventually starts to sound the same. However, I wouldn't lump Blake in with the bro country guys. Even though he has occasional songs like Boys Round Here, I think most of his music is much better than your typical bro country. He is really good at ballads and mid-tempos and I loved "My Eyes". I am going to do a little research on Wikipedia to compare the first week (and total sales if available) of Blake's albums. I expect to see his first weeks sales increase after beginning his stint as a Voice judge, but I would also expect to see that plateau or drop a little as the newness of the Voice wore off and people start to get tired of Blake and Adam. I'll update this post in a little bit.

I have included LP and EPs, but no compilation/holiday albums. It was hard to find 1st weeks sales for the older albums. Guess no one cared to update that information after Wikipedia came about. I have indicated the appropriate season of the Voice for those albums.

Blake Shelton (2001) Platinum - 1st week unavailable on Wikipedia
The Dreamer (2003) Gold - 1st week unavailable on Wikipedia
Barn & Grill (2004) Gold - 1st week unavailable on Wikipedia
Pure BS (2007) Gold - 1st week unavailable on Wikipedia.
Startin' Fires (2008) No Certification - 1st week unavailable on Wikipedia
Hillbilly Bone EP (March 2010) - 71,000
All About Tonight EP (Aug 2010) - 33,000
Red River Blue (July 2011) Platinum - 116,000 (After The Voice Season 1)
Based on a True Story (March 2013) Platinum - 199,000 (The Voice Season 4)
Bringing Back the Sunshine (Sept 2014) New - 101,000 (The Voice Season 7)

Well, it is really hard to compare first week sales, although obviously he saw a boost between the 1st and 4th seasons of the Voice, so I'm sure the exposure didn't hurt. Other than his debut, he didn't have any other platinum albums until after appearing on the Voice. Based on the just barely projected over 100k for his latest album, I would say that I think the bloom is off the rose with the exposure from the Voice. I also think Neon Light is not a really strong lead single for him this time. "Sure Be Cool if you Did" for Based on a True Story did much better.

Last edited:

Eder Rodrigues

Post updated.

HDD's prediction for Jason Aldean's album went from 450k to 290-310k.
I also included a new future release, Zac Brown Band's "Greatest Hits So Far..."

Eder Rodrigues

#1 JASON ALDEAN - OLD BOOTS, NEW DIRT - 281,292 (HDD prediction 290-310k)
#5 BLAKE SHELTON - BRINGING BACK THE SUNSHINE - 34,907 (-66%) (HDD prediction 37-42k)
#10 LADY ANTEBELLUM - 747 - 22,548 (-69%) (HDD prediction 24-27k)
#12 KENNY CHESNEY - THE BIG REVIVAL - 20,371 (-49%) (HDD prediction 20-23k)
#29 GEORGE STRAIT - THE COWBOY RIDES AWAY LIVE - 11,022 (-24%)
#34 TIM MCGRAW - SUNDOWN HEAVEN TOWN - 9,573 (-24%)
#44 LEE BRICE - I DON'T DANCE - 6,514

opry051008

#1 JASON ALDEAN - OLD BOOTS, NEW DIRT - 281,292 (HDD prediction 290-310k)
#5 BLAKE SHELTON - BRINGING BACK THE SUNSHINE - 34,907 (-66%) (HDD prediction 37-42k)
#10 LADY ANTEBELLUM - 747 - 22,548 (-69%) (HDD prediction 24-27k)
#12 KENNY CHESNEY - THE BIG REVIVAL - 20,371 (-49%) (HDD prediction 20-23k)
#29 GEORGE STRAIT - THE COWBOY RIDES AWAY LIVE - 11,022 (-24%)
#34 TIM MCGRAW - SUNDOWN HEAVEN TOWN - 9,573 (-24%)
#44 LEE BRICE - I DON'T DANCE - 6,514

Wow, quite a difference in Jason's numbers from the initial projection of 450K. How could they be so off the mark?

Eder are you able to include the numbers for Eric Church as he will probably be one of the biggest, if not the biggest country album of 2014?

The Nanook

And Eric's was released in February too.

Some of the biggest releases in country music this year can't even break 300k first week (if Jason did 281k and Florida Georgia Line are looking to do 190k), Carrie probably won't even touch 200k with a Greatest Hits album. I think 100k may even be generous.

maddkat

Staff member
^ if the GH could open with around 100K I think that'd be a big win.
I wouldn't expect over that and wouldn't be surprised if it were lower.