Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Cry Pretty' chart updates

No, people will not go to the store to buy Carrie's album and see that cover and think "nope, not buying that. Even though I like her music, the cover makes me not want to buy it". Not even regular old fans - they still like the music. Even if someone does not like her cover, that does not change the music that is inside the cover. People are buying the album for the music not the cover.

I didn’t say that the diehards feel that way,just that certain people might think the music’s not any good if they take a look at the cover.Some buyers don’t look at the cover of an album because they already know how good the musics going to be but not everyone thinks that way.Some people do look at the cover sometimes & judge the music based on that cover because they don’t think the music will be that good.Some look at the cover,Some don’t.But you can’t help it if people see the cover & decide not to buy the album without knowing the quality of the music.You can’t make people buy the album if they don’t like the cover,that’s their choice to make.Its people’s choice to make if they will buy the album based on the cover which might happen no matter how much you deny it or they choose to look past it & listen to it because of how amazing they know the albums going to be.Its their choice if they decide to buy the album based on the cover or the quality of the music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgbjr

^ if this was a book I’d understand. But this is music. People know Carrie and her music and just because she has glitter under her eyes I don’t think most people would chose to not buy the album. I personally dislike the glitter tears, because I’m just tired of seeing them(single cover, ACMs, Idol, Album cover, FCP, music video) but that certainly isn’t going to stop me from purchasing the album. Album covers are kinda irrelevant these days anyways, as few places carry physical albums anyways and streaming is what most people use, and people listen to snippets when they chose to preview an album instead of judging the cover.

hjj

I think that long time ago when people went and browse thru albums the cover maybe grab attention but with little product available now people mainly already know what they are looking for, IMO.

mbh

Stocking shelves is a moot issue, now. Target and Walmart will continue to sell cds but will restock on an as needed basis (no more big shipments to count as sales for certifications).

I never had a problem getting Carrie cds at any time from Best Buy, Target or Walmart. I just had to ask and they would go in the back and bring them out.

For us fans it is not a problem because we always ask the store clerk. But shoppers specially during holiday seasons and holiday sales make quick decisions. They will just walk around quickly with shoppers reacting instantly to what they see in front of them to buy gifts like CDs, DVDs, gift cards, etc. I still see some nice displays and fully stock CDs from UMG artists and other labels at Walmart and Target - MAXIMIZING their opportunity to influence decisions of buying right there at the shelves. With A LOT of Walmart and Target stores in the whole United States, it is a BIG DEAL.

liz278

I didn’t say that the diehards feel that way,just that certain people might think the music’s not any good if they take a look at the cover.Some buyers don’t look at the cover of an album because they already know how good the musics going to be but not everyone thinks that way.Some people do look at the cover sometimes & judge the music based on that cover because they don’t think the music will be that good.Some look at the cover,Some don’t.But you can’t help it if people see the cover & decide not to buy the album without knowing the quality of the music.You can’t make people buy the album if they don’t like the cover,that’s their choice to make.Its people’s choice to make if they will buy the album based on the cover which might happen no matter how much you deny it or they choose to look past it & listen to it because of how amazing they know the albums going to be.Its their choice if they decide to buy the album based on the cover or the quality of the music.

But most people don't buy CDs anymore. And her preorders on iTunes is doing great. So, no I don't think people are going to be turned off by the album cover art. It's cover art. I have bought CDs in the past with weird covers. Didn't affect the music.

liz278

I think there are so many factors that went into CP being her lowest peaking radio single .The song started out great by debuting well with the ACMs performance & the #1 on the Digital songs chart but after that,it just seemed to die out really quickly & lost its momentum really quickly.I talked to a lot of people on social media & they seemed to have a really hard time connecting with the song.I had a hard time connecting as well & I normally love all of Carrie’s songs.This one just didn’t seem to do it for me.I think a lot of radio programmers were just taken aback & shocked by the song because it lacks a melody which is how most people remember the song & it was unconventional in the song length & lyrical content which was clearly female focused.No guy is going to listen to a song like CP & cry because it’s still a stigma that guys just don’t show their emotions that much.Sorry,but I think CP was too female for a lot of male programmers because the songs content was clearly female focused just with the mention of mascara running & if that isn’t female focused,then I don’t know what is.I just don’t know why you would even say that wasn’t a factor when it probably was one of the factors that led to its struggle on the charts.CP just wasn’t conventional & I think that’s why radio programmers were so shocked that it wasn’t like her past singles. They probably had no idea if it would fit in with their playlists or not or if anyone would even listen to it.Country radio hasn’t always been kind to females & it just seems worse than ever for them,UMG just didn’t push the song hard enough like they should’ve & like I said,the song lacks a melody that people will remember long after the song is done playing.But I truly am excited for Love Wins because it seems like it’s almost destined to be a smash for Carrie!!

I don't buy the whole "it's from a female perspective" stuff - all of her songs are from a female perspective. She murdered husbands, tore up their car, Good Girl, I could go on but you get the idea.

And CP is an awesome song. I love the melody. I heard it at the bank this morning and it sounded awesome.

I feel bad that after everything and all the hard work it’s her worst single to date.

I know other artists would love to have a top 10 single but for someone like her with her record it’s hugely disappointing.

I hope this is just a slight misstep and we will be back on track but it doesn’t give me a lot of confidence in the new label. I really hope this is them just trying a strategy that didn’t quite go to plan.

I knew she would eventually have to slow down in her career and not be as successful but she is still producing quality material so it shouldn’t be happening.

If only she were a male country artist....

CU4ever

If I'm not mistaken, Carrie left a note on the Fan Club when SITW peaked. I wonder if she'll do the same here? It might ease some of the upset feelings we are having

Last edited:

txacar

For us fans it is not a problem because we always ask the store clerk. But shoppers specially during holiday seasons and holiday sales make quick decisions. They will just walk around quickly with shoppers reacting instantly to what they see in front of them to buy gifts like CDs, DVDs, gift cards, etc. I still see some nice displays and fully stock CDs from UMG artists and other labels at Walmart and Target - MAXIMIZING their opportunity to influence decisions of buying right there at the shelves. With A LOT of Walmart and Target stores in the whole United States, it is a BIG DEAL.

Thankfully, those stores chose to continue selling CDs. I've no doubt they will have stocked shelves for Christmas. They just chose to change the way they procure the product because they feel it will be more cost effective in the current market of declining demand for cds. When I said it is a moot issue, I was referring to just that -- we no longer have huge automatic shipments to pad sales numbers as we did in the past, so it doesn't matter if it's UMG or Sony. Sales will be just that -- actual sales.

^ if this was a book I’d understand. But this is music. People know Carrie and her music and just because she has glitter under her eyes I don’t think most people would chose to not buy the album. I personally dislike the glitter tears, because I’m just tired of seeing them(single cover, ACMs, Idol, Album cover, FCP, music video) but that certainly isn’t going to stop me from purchasing the album. Album covers are kinda irrelevant these days anyways, as few places carry physical albums anyways and streaming is what most people use, and people listen to snippets when they chose to preview an album instead of judging the cover.

I think it’s bothering me more from a marketing standpoint because I just didn’t see the entire era going this way.But after she had her accident & that the songs were going to be more emotional,raw & honest,I could see why they chose to do it this way.From my viewpoint,real tears would’ve been more effective,but I guess when you need to go for the wow factor,the tears were a bigger way to get the whole feel of the album & the music across.I dislike the glitter tears for the same reason that you do:you’re tired of seeing them on her album cover,her single cover,ACMs,Idol,the fan club party which I hear that everyone seemed to be wearing them there,Idol & the music video,they literally seemed to be everywhere you looked!!I have had just the hardest time getting past all of that so I can focus on how incredible the music & the album are going to be!!It just wasn’t my favorite marketing tool that they could use for her.I’ll try look past the whole aesthetic & just try to focus on how amazing & incredible the album is going to be!!

Pi314CA

Do we know yet where the song peaked on Billboard Country Airplay? #6 on Mediabase.

CP goes from #12 to #9 on Billboard Country Airplay chart, 20 weeks on this chart.
CP stays at #17 on Billboard Hot Country Songs chart, 20 weeks on this chart.
Greatest Hits #1 moves up one spot to #22 on the Country Album chart, 159 weeks on this chart.

Kizmet311

Sad to see this thread and CPs chart run end, but I'm ready for the new album and new single. Onwards and upwards, I hope!

carriecountrystar

I haven't posted here in a long time but I've been following the chart updates for Cry Pretty...

Wow, I have to say I'm super disappointed at the treatment of Cry Pretty. Yes, it wasn't the most popular but Mama's Song wasn't either and it went to #2....

I hope this isn't a precursor of things to come. Despite our complaints about Sony, they always prioritized keeping her top #1-#3 streak alive regardless of the song.

This wasn't just any single. it was the LEAD single. Carrie's lead singles have always climbed up the charts so fast that everyone had to get out of the way.

I'm honestly not sure what to expect for the rest of the era. Perhaps they don't care as much in keeping her streak or they simply don't know how to power up songs for their top artists?

teesharky

^ oh they know how to power up sings for the men. They just messed it up for Carrie sadly.

But it’s also the fault of country radio. Clearly they won’t play a song with a feminine point of view. It needs tricks and beer and bro country crap in it to get played.

The Gunslinger

It’s still a Top 10 hit! It’s not like it fizzled out in the 30s. Perspective guys

Cry Pretty is a really good song but not real radio friendly in my opinion. But then I don’t think Carrie wrote the song to be her greatest hit. I think it was very therapeutic for her and a great start to a new era. Don’t worry Carrie Fans I have a feeling the Album will be by far her best!