Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - Part 2

AIgrl06

^So glad you liked it! :D

Oh and Elie, your review gave me goosebumps. I need to go see the movie again, lol.

teesharky

I saw it 3 times now too. lol May go again tomorrow with different people who haven't seen it yet. lol

Any word on this week's box office numbers yet?

eliefares

^ $14 million on Friday, trailing Captain America by $9 million, will most likely make about $50 million and slip to #2.

teesharky

Wow that is a pretty big drop. I guess most people rushed out to see it opening weekend because we couldn't wait. lol

AIgrl06

Harry Potter's always been really front loaded, lol. It's still pretty good. I mean, the bigger first weekend, the further you can drop.

bigbluegrl23

Harry Potter's always been really front loaded, lol. It's still pretty good. I mean, the bigger first weekend, the further you can drop.

exactly. and i still see it having a fairly long run. it had such a crazy opening weekend that a drastic drop was expected but im sure itll stabilize and have a good long run.
becca T

sam_vzla

According to Box Office Mojo the numbers for this weekend are $48 million, down 71.6%. Big drop but as everyone said, if you open big, then you are going to drop a lot. To compare, New Moon that opened with $142 million dropped 70% the next weekend.

The total in the U.S is now $274 million, already ahead of The Chamber of Secrets and The Prisioner of Azkaban. Worldwide $850 million.

teesharky

Awesome! It is only 150 million away from 1 billion worldwide. That is incredible. I think they will pass 1 billion worldwide.

Wow- thats amazing! Thats more than POA made worldwide too, and its only been a week! I hope it passes 1 billion! That'd be amazing- it deserves it! Lol im certainly making my contribution to the sales, I just got back from seeing it for the 5th time and plan on seeing it at least 6 more times haha. Even after 5 times the movie is still amazing though! I still tear up in some parts, and i still cry really hard in others- and my friend who hated harry potter went to go see it, and it turned them into a potter fan they loved it so much

eliefares

They will pass $1 billion worldwide in the coming few days :p they still haven't opened in a few markets. This is absolutely insane! If only the US numbers can hold up more.

carebear4eva

I've been tracking HP's BO progress....I didn't realize there were people here doing the same!

At 8.3 mill worldwide, HP has achieved the 800 million mark MUCH MUCH faster than other high-grossers (Avatar took an insane 19 days to achioeve it - we've only taken 12)

However, that obviously speaks only of the mania that is HARRY POTTER!

That said, HP looks set to cross the one billion mark reasonably easily. I'm not being too hopeful to say that. Although its current progress is miles ahead of Avatar, it's highly unlikely it will top Avatar too to become the highest-grossing movie of all time. Avatar held on for too long, staying high for MONTHS ta end. Potter is unlikely to do so.

This week is the most crucial decider. If HP does well throughout the week, and holds on over the weekends to get a reasonable amount, it should chug past the one-billion mark in 7 days time.

After that, it's a slow march to cross as many movies as possible. My prediction was, and remains as this : it will become the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time, behind only Titanic and Avatar. It MAY cross Titanic too, if it gets a very long after-life.

I'm not a huge movies person so someone please answer this : Are there many/any more 3D movies coming out in the coming months?

That answer will decide Potter's fate. If there are none, IMAX screens will continue showing Potter. That is exactly what we need. If it's being screened people will watch it.

AIgrl06

I don't think it'll get anywhere near Titanic, but it could definitely get to #3 all time (unadjusted). There's a huge gap between Titanic and Lord of the Rings the Return of the King, so as long as HP gets over about 1.1 billion it'll be sitting in that number three spot. I'm guessing it'll top out somewhere between 1.1 and 1.25 billion. As for 3D movies, Captain America is 3D I believe, and that just opened last weekend. The only other films I can think of that are opening in 3D are the Glee movie, and then Disney's rereleasing some movies (Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, etc) in 3D.

eliefares

I don't see it crossing Titanic. But I definitely see it topping out at around 1.3 billion. That's like an extra $500 million, which is easily doable. China hasn't released the movie yet, as far as I've heard.

I dont see it topping out Titanic either, there's such a huge gap in between Titanic and Lord of the Rings for the number 2 and 3 movie, and HP would have to hold steady for really really long. But its doing amazing so far! I really think it'll pass 1 billion and I hope it can out-gross Lord of the Rings

bigbluegrl23

I dont see it topping out Titanic either, there's such a huge gap in between Titanic and Lord of the Rings for the number 2 and 3 movie, and HP would have to hold steady for really really long. But its doing amazing so far! I really think it'll pass 1 billion and I hope it can out-gross Lord of the Rings

i honestly think if it doesnt pass 1 billion this weekend, itll do it next weekend.
becca T

carebear4eva

Well, we had a disappointing Monday where the post-weekend blues caused a harder hit than expected with very poor grosses. But Tuesday was excellent, thankfully!

Our total is now at 881 million, which is good. We should get to 910-950 by Friday end, which paves the way for an easy billion this week :D

It's still unclear how long a run HP will have, though. That will ultimately decide its fate. Although many people deny it, the only reason Avatar went as crazy as it did, was because it was kept in theaters longer than its natural run. Kinda like how SWSRN gets #1s, lol! :D

While there is almost NO chance of it matching Avatar (although technically it's far ahead of Avatar right now - Avatar took 19 days to get to 900 million, we've reached in 15), I still think we have a small, SMALL chance of matching Titanic. LOTR is almost certainly dead, unless we all just STOP watching the movie right NOW, there's no way HPDH2 won't become the 3rd highest of all time.

This weekend will be a crucial one in pushing it ahead. If we get a huge haul that pushes us to 1.2 billion (highly unlikely, yet mildly possible), then we can think about defeating Titanic. It IS possible, but not very likely.

Right now it's #22 on the all-time charts. My estimate is that it will rise to #14-#16 before the weekend, and then bullet up to into the top 10 after the Saturday-Sunday, becoming the 10th movie to gross a billion dollahs :)

Then the very important, very exciting news. On August 4th, Thursday, an additional 1.3 billion people will get to watch it. CHINA, BABY! That will lead to a great 4-day haul between 4th and the 7th (4 and 5 being the first days it's open in China and 6 and 7 being the first weekend it's open in China, plus the overall weekend effect). That will be the most important factor in determining if we have a chance against Titanic. If that collective boom leads to say a 1.5 billion by then, we may be able to slowly steam past to hit Titanic's 1.7.

Two more points of interest.

First, some GOOD news! It's almost certain that we'll reach either #2 or #3 position on the all-time chart. What about the profits chart? Avatar and Titanic were made on much higher budgets than HP (at least I think so). There may be a possibility that even if we fail to beat Titanic on the gross, our profits may still defeat Titanic.

Secondly, this : Titanic is being re-released in 3D (which I'm excited about, cuz I rather liked the film). Will those sales be added to its present gross, though? It may well overtake even Avatar if they do that! Thoughts?

That's all for now. Hopefully more people in China will opt for an IMAX 3D version leading to higher sales. Whatever does happen, I am just so proud to say that I grew up with these books and movies. They made my childhood, and it's only fitting that the entire thing ends as I turn 18 and leave my home, family and childhood behind. It's the most fitting graduation ceremony. JK Rowling, you MADE my childhood, it was all I knew.

carebear4eva

Wow China hasn't seen it yet? That will help a TON!

Yeah, it will!!!!

Yesterday (Wednesday) was a relatively good day, pulling in 25 million dollars, to reach 906 million. One billion mark is almost CONFIRMED for this weekend. Further, Potter has strongly outpaced Avatar to hit the 900 million mark. Avatar took 18 days, we took 15! We should also be the fastest one-billion movie too when we get there.

Expect nothing great from tomorrow's draw (Thursday) - maybe another 20 million, and bigger returns from Friday (it's the weekend in several countires, and the last day of the week in the rest). The 3-day gross of 29-31 should propel us well into the 1 billion.

Another title that we will soon claim is "Biggest Movie of 2011", when we go past Pirates 4.

After that things will quieten down for 1-3 with very low results. And then everything goes skywards on the 4th, when it opens to China. The 3-day gross of 5-7 should be very good for a month-old movie, maybe even more than this weekend's 3-day.

As for the all-time chart, we are presently at #19. Predictions : #3 is pretty much CERTAIN. #1 is pretty much ruled out. The only thing worth looking at is the #2 slot (WILL WE BEAT TITANIC??)

Again, it still looks bad, very unlikely, yet possible (unlike Avatar which is surely NO!). We don't have a good chance, but we do have a CHANCE.

For a movie that's gone as fast as this one, you should say that we'll surely get some 4-5 billion dollars. But, the problem is, that the Potter trend tends to be a fast dropper. We just don't manage to pull off those long runs like Avatar. If we are to beat Titanic, we have to do it soon - the possibility of a long, slow trek is not there. We need to sprint and stop in front of Titanic. Still, IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT WILL HAPPEN, sorry :-(