Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie and Florida Georgia Line collab coming!

CU4ever

The announcement struck me as a rather phony set up. The fact that they don't have her personal email or phone number proves she doesn't associate with them. And if they were actually hoping to get a collaboration, they could contact the HQ to discuss it with Carrie's management reps. That's normally the way it's done, unless the artists are already personal friends or touring together, Doing it (or pretending to do it) via a social media announcement sounds more like a publicity stunt.

totally agree with this. Maybe FGL doesn’t have Carrie’s number or email, but I am sure their team easily could have contacted Carrie’s. Especially considering their label (BMLG) is distributed by Carrie’s label (UMG). I think this is to build hype.

CU4ever

I don’t think the lyrics sound bro-country. The style is very FGL and Julia Michaels helping co-write gives it a pop vibe. This would not be a step backwards. Carrie speaking at CRS was about not more women being played on radio, women needing to be sent more demos, and women needing to given equal chances as men. I didn’t hear her say no more songs that don’t have a deeper messages or powerful meanings. Southbound could be seen as feel good and along the same terms as “Feels Good”. Backsliding could be as well.

This! From what we’ve heard, “Feels Good” and “Southbound” go hand in hand. At their core they are both the same. As Carrie said about making a party anthem, Southbound, “If the guys can do it, why can’t [ladies]?”

Farawayhills

Whether we like the song or not, it's going to be considered Bro Country. The article Simon linked to early in the thread said "It’s tough to make out all of the lyrics, but the carefree country-pop track appears to be a love song mentioning dirt roads, sweet tea and riding around with the windows down." The combination of the musical style and lyrical motifs like those virtually constitutes the definition of Bro Country.

I agree that "Southbound" did use themes that came close to Bro Country - but I rather suspect that that would be a "one-off" for Carrie, in the nature of a light-hearted novelty relief - rather than something she'd follow up so soon with this sort of collaboration. Friends like Brad Paisley and Maddie and Tae have been critical of Bro Country, and Carrie's own work and policy statements have tended to point in a different direction for the genre. I think, all told, this would be a rather odd fit for her image and general career path.

That said, of course, she'll do it if she wants to (and I certainly won't go up the wall if she does - after all, I was one of the few who defended the Bebe Rexha foray into Country, lol)

totally agree with this. Maybe FGL doesn’t have Carrie’s number or email, but I am sure their team easily could have contacted Carrie’s. Especially considering their label (BMLG) is distributed by Carrie’s label (UMG). I think this is to build hype.

Didn't FGL just create their own record label, Round Here Records? I am not sure how it works into the BMLG and UMG situation but I know they were advertising signing RaeLynn and Canaan Smith. Recently (as of about a week ago) BK and Tyler made a big deal about running their own social media accounts without a manager so I think this phoniness is also a result of that.

adam1995

After commenting that this is probably happening, I don’t like the song. I think with better sound quality I’d feel slightly different. If I could understand the words, that would help too. Also, just because Carrie’s CP heavily focused on deep, emotional themes doesn’t mean she can’t release or be part of a feel good song. Her credibility would not be tarnished in the least!

Not that she can't release a feel good song, it's just that FGL is utter horse crap quality wise, this song sounds no different. I'd rather she not associate with that.

Now, if they actually had a really good song they wanted her to sing on that's a different story. Also, they can't sing that well, Carrie would demolish them vocally.

adam1995

I don’t think anyone is acting like the world will end if people on twitter oppose it, rather, it’s possible concern for if Carrie is subject to hate and attacks for the possibility of recording it and when / if she ends up recording it.

There are hardly ever one way streets when it comes to Twitter/social media attacks. Either way, she does it or doesn't, it's up to her. From the clip, I can tell, I won't be a fan of the song, so I won't pay it any attention, it's just a shame that the most damaging artist to modern country music is trying to collaborate with Carrie.

FanSince04

Not that she can't release a feel good song, it's just that FGL is utter horse crap quality wise, this song sounds no different. I'd rather she not associate with that.

Now, if they actually had a really good song they wanted her to sing on that's a different story. Also, they can't sing that well, Carrie would demolish them vocally.

I agree that most of their songs aren’t great; however, I do think there is a possibility this song when fully complete could be good. Maybe Carrie could be that missing piece? If this were a song like “Stay”, I feel it’d be a different story. We will see how it turns out.

adam1995

I agree that most of their songs aren’t great; however, I do think there is a possibility this song when fully complete could be good. Maybe Carrie could be that missing piece? If this were a song like “Stay”, I feel it’d be a different story. We will see how it turns out.

Their "Stay" or Sugarland's "Stay"? Lol.

I will say "Stay" was probably the best single they have released. I believe it was a cover, an not one they wrote, so that's likely why it was their best.

FanSince04

Their "Stay" or Sugarland's "Stay"? Lol.

I will say "Stay" was probably the best single they have released. I believe it was a cover, an not one they wrote, so that's likely why it was their best.

FGL’s “Stay”. I absolutely love Sugarland’s “Stay”

Farawayhills

From the ones I've heard, I think "Dirt" was FGL's best (That was co-written by Chris Thompkins, the Muscle Shoals writer who earlier won the Best Country Song Grammy for Carrie's "Before He Cheats". If he was on board for a future collaboration, I'd be a might happier about it, lol)

Their "Stay" was a cover of a song by Black Stone Cherry, a Kentucky Rock band who have a loyal audience over here.

Kizmet311

Long time, no post, so hello again! I agree with those who say that IF FGL hasn't already confirmed this duet with Carrie and it's all just a publicity stunt, then it is extremely unprofessional of them to ask her to do the duet over social media. Clearly Carrie is very selective in her collaborations; otherwise, I think she would have had a lot more of them by now. It would seem to put her in a bad position to have to turn it down now that it's public, but I do like Faraway's "excuse" of other commitments not allowing it right now.

If it's already setup and this was just PR, then I will support it like just about anything else Carrie does. I don't hate FGL, but I do remember the first time I heard Cruise on Siriux XM and thinking that song was so stupid I couldn't possibly see it becoming a hit on terrestrial radio...but here we are years later and FGL are a huge act in country. They have some catchy songs and some I actually like a little bit. What little we heard of the song does sound like pretty typical bro-country, but I can't predict what Carrie would or wouldn't do with that kind of song. If she was going to do a song like this, I could see her doing it with someone like Luke Bryan long before FGL since she and Luke are actually friends. I guess we will see what happens.

jaymiee

I am so split on this. I loved FGLs first 2 albums and saw them in concert many times. I think a duet with them could be a huge hit. Crossover potential and if its anything like that Bebe Rexha duet it could be the biggest country song of the year...would gain massive hype for both their upcoming albums...

On the other hand: Carrie specifically speaking out about bro country and dude songs would make no sense for her to do this duet. I feel like it could backfire in her face. Not to mention all the haters already say FGL and Carrie are not "country" so this would not help that argument.

It could be a bop or an embarrassing flop....I know I will be upset if someone else does the duet and it's a huge crossover hit

simonplay

I don't think it's a bro country song, it sounds more like a love song to me, it remind me to Heartbeat a little bit. We can't judge over a 10 seconds clip though.

Kizmet311

I don't think it's a bro country song, it sounds more like a love song to me, it remind me to Heartbeat a little bit. We can't judge over a 10 seconds clip though.

Just my opinion, but I think bro country songs can also be love songs. But when it mentions sweet tea and riding in the pickup truck, those are pretty trope bro-country lyrics. Also, I think Heartbeat was pandering to the bro-country, Sam Hunt trends in country music at the time, which makes sense as the song was co-written and produced by the guy that collaborates with Sam Hunt a lot. It was definitely Carrie's spin on it and I'm sure she kept the lyrics from going too far into bro-country territory, but to me HB was one of Carrie's weakest singles/artistic efforts.

adam1995

Just my opinion, but I think bro country songs can also be love songs. But when it mentions sweet tea and riding in the pickup truck, those are pretty trope bro-country lyrics. Also, I think Heartbeat was pandering to the bro-country, Sam Hunt trends in country music at the time, which makes sense as the song was co-written and produced by the guy that collaborates with Sam Hunt a lot. It was definitely Carrie's spin on it and I'm sure she kept the lyrics from going too far into bro-country territory, but to me HB was one of Carrie's weakest singles/artistic efforts.

Yes, to all of this.

simonplay

That seems too elaborate.. lol

I don't know about sweet tea but pickup trucks are a very country thing, bro or not. I don't see Carrie thinking "oh this mentions sweet tea so I don't like the song.." lol

And for me Heartbeat is one of her best co-writes. That it's just a matter of taste.

Kizmet311

That seems too elaborate.. lol

I don't know about sweet tea but pickup trucks are a very country thing, bro or not. I don't see Carrie thinking "oh this mentions sweet tea so I don't like the song.." lol

And for me Heartbeat is one of her best co-writes. That it's just a matter of taste.

Lol, it's ok, as I'm sure we will never agree completely on what defines bro-country. I don't know that anyone can agree 100% as it's kind of subjective. To me, it's kind of that "genre" of just throwing every country cliche at a wall and seeing what sticks, while throwing in a pretty girl and to me, yes, being in love with that same pretty girl while riding in a pickup truck can still be bro-country even if it's set to a "love song" kind of melody. I think it just depends on how it is done. FGL does have a love song or two that I would not classify as bro-country, although they still have those pop/R&B influences like HB (which I don't mind when they are well done). (Such as Holy and Talk You Out of It) And yes, sweet tea is a very country/Southern thing. Even songs that are not "bro-country" can use cliches, no doubt, but I think bro-country seems to stick out because of the partying, drinking and must have a pretty girl by my side kind of cliches - as Maddie & Tae have said - they relegate the women in their songs to riding shotgun in their daisy dukes so to speak.

simonplay

Lol, it's ok, as I'm sure we will never agree completely on what defines bro-country. I don't know that anyone can agree 100% as it's kind of subjective. To me, it's kind of that "genre" of just throwing every country cliche at a wall and seeing what sticks, while throwing in a pretty girl and to me, yes, being in love with that same pretty girl while riding in a pickup truck can still be bro-country even if it's set to a "love song" kind of melody. I think it just depends on how it is done. FGL does have a love song or two that I would not classify as bro-country, although they still have those pop/R&B influences like HB (which I don't mind when they are well done). (Such as Holy and Talk You Out of It) And yes, sweet tea is a very country/Southern thing. Even songs that are not "bro-country" can use cliches, no doubt, but I think bro-country seems to stick out because of the partying, drinking and must have a pretty girl by my side kind of cliches - as Maddie & Tae have said - they relegate the women in their songs to riding shotgun in their daisy dukes so to speak.

Yeah, I think that is the thing, that there is no "official concept" of what is bro country.
At the end of the day this song is a side project and it's not going to be in any Carrie album anyway and she will do the song if likes it.

pkslongbeach

I personally think this would be great as a spring/summer romp at radio.
It sounds very much like Fighter/Champion as far as her voice being put in a different style of production than usual. I imagine, like fighter, she would be a featured voice and not Center Stage. So it would just be a nice thing to have on the airwaves in general. And it does not have to have a Carrie Underwood Stamp on it.
I will always choose to have her on the radio and definitely collaborating extending her brand so I think its great from a PR perspective. As for musical quality, after One Way Ticket, Carrie has proven that sometimes just singing a silly song is as fun as singing a serious one.

Lastly, I would be concerned about backlash if she doesn't do it, then someone will, it will be a huge #1 for them, and it will always have the cavoite that Carrie Underwood passed on it (and people can get mean about their snide comments).
So I am a full on IN! If she passes, I am cool. Maybe even contractually they would not be able to make it work.
But the female vocal in the track played sounds perfect to Carries pop voice and I would love to hear that light fun side of her voice again, like on The Fighter!!
I am All IN!