Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie and Florida Georgia Line collab coming!

CU4ever

it's just a shame that the most damaging artist to modern country music is trying to collaborate with Carrie.

There are plenty of people who would disagree with this statement though..I think that’s a matter of personal taste. Numbers wise, FGL has had many huge hits on airplay and with sales. They are popular and people like their music, like several of us here, so I’m sure a collaboration with them and Carrie, who is one of the biggest artists of all time, would be seen as a good thing

Farawayhills

Opinions are always going to vary on this - and that's fine. I'm not trying to knock down anyone's enthusiasm - but I don't see the comparison with "One Way Ticket" as being very apt. Carrie had a writing credit on OWT, and her co-writers, Luke Laird and Josh Kear were trusted collaborators used to her styles and opinions. That won't apply here. OWT may seem silly to some - but it includes touches of Red Dirt attitude (something I wouldn't expect in the sort of collaboration being discussed here). Examples are the line "It matters where you're going, not where you've been", and "say adios to the minimum wage, tell your boss man where he can stick it" (the latter, in particular, puts the song in a line of tradition that includes Merle Haggard, Johnny Paycheck and Dolly Parton.). It's another Carrie song that I think has at least a little more Oklahoma influence than straight up commercial Nashville in it.**

As mentioned earlier, "Southbound" is probably a closer comparison (judging from the clip we've heard, and FGL's general reputation). That's fine, if she should want to explore that vein a little more. But there might be a downside. FGL are a very divisive band, and the style of most of their hits is considered particularly toxic by some Country Music artists and fans. Carrie's participation would risk alienating some Country listeners, and confirming the doubts of others. Whether that risk is outweighed by the possibility of gaining the approval of new listeners is a call that only she could make - and may have to be seen in the light of her planned direction for her own future work.
-------

**Edit : and (for anyone interested), the possible influence I have in mind is not just lyrical. I see links in the general musical style too (allowing for Carrie putting her own, more modern stamp on it). Compare, on a general level, the tempo and the persistent jangly beat with this late '90s song by Bob Childers (the "godfather "of this Oklahoma style).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZWDBegvX50

True, Stillwater, the birthplace of Red Dirt music, and Tahlequa are colleges at different ends of the state - but the likely link is through Tulsa, the musical heritage of which both influenced and later absorbed the Red Dirt style. Carrie performed in Tulsa in the early days, and I think would know this mix of influences. Of course, I'm not saying that OWT is a Red Dirt song - only that the influence is there, and it's more than just an exercise in "Country Pop". Why I'm citing this example is that I believe Carrie is a more complex artist than is sometimes assumed, and that's one reason I think she deserves more interesting collaborations than the one being discussed. (And I've noticed that the Stillwater bands and cheerleaders have been known to perform to her songs, so they may agree, lol)

Last edited:
Julia Michaels replied to the post and tagged Carrie asking her to do it.

In my opinion, stuff like this furthers the idea that this isn’t already arranged and they’re publicly manipulating her...ugh
I know some think it’s not that serious, but it’s a total crappy situation.

jaymiee

At the end of the day I'm dying for a Carrie duet and a pop crossover. If this is the way to do that then so be it. Carrie knows good music she has not released 1 song to date that I thought was bad. (Mama's song as a single was questionable but I do love the song)

simonplay

???
If you think them pressuring Carrie to record their trash song is okay ,fine.You do you and I'll do me.

Nobody is pressuring Carrie, they are just excited to work with her in that song, all this drama is so unnecessary.

And you better be ready to do the daily radio updates for "Feels Good" ;D

CU4ever

In my opinion, stuff like this furthers the idea that this isn’t already arranged and they’re publicly manipulating her...ugh
I know some think it’s not that serious, but it’s a total crappy situation.

I don't think their intention is to manipulate her, this is not the Nashville ABC show ahahah. I think they thought (key word thought) it would be fun and a way to excite fans of both FGL/Carrie. Maybe that was presumptuous but they don't seem to be the type to do something hatefully imho

I don't think their intention is to manipulate her, this is not the Nashville ABC show ahahah. I think they thought (key word thought) it would be fun and a way to excite fans of both FGL/Carrie. Maybe that was presumptuous but they don't seem to be the type to do something hatefully imho

Haha I know definitely what you mean...overall they seem fine, but I just don’t think Carrie should be put in this place to begin with. I feel like fans as a whole would have less of a problem with the situation if the song did in fact happen and just randomly came out on the album instead of this whole social media frenzy happening first.

adam1995

There are plenty of people who would disagree with this statement though..I think that’s a matter of personal taste. Numbers wise, FGL has had many huge hits on airplay and with sales. They are popular and people like their music, like several of us here, so I’m sure a collaboration with them and Carrie, who is one of the biggest artists of all time, would be seen as a good thing

Of course people would disagree, but you'll never convince me that they haven't ruined country music. The quality of country music is significantly lower after their 2012 debut than it was before. They had help damaging it, but they did more than their fair share. Again, my opinion, and a lot of people's opinions as well. They will forever be a plague on the genre to me. You can like them, that's fine, but to me they can't sing, and don't put out good songs overall. I would rather Carrie wasn't attached to them.

Personally, I'm not desperate enough to see Carrie have a hit on radio that I'd like this idea. This is not to say that those that want to see it are all desperate. If you like the combo that's fine.

adam1995

???
If you think them pressuring Carrie to record their trash song is okay ,fine.You do you and I'll do me.

We're in total agreement here. To beg Carrie to sing on their song is not really cool. If she says no then it disappoints them and possibly her fans, if she says yes, and doesn't really want to do the song, but feels obligated, she's unhappy. If she's happy to do it, then that's her prerogative, but they shouldn't publicly beg for something like this. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

CU4ever

We're in total agreement here. To beg Carrie to sing on their song is not really cool. If she says no then it disappoints them and possibly her fans, if she says yes, and doesn't really want to do the song, but feels obligated, she's unhappy. If she's happy to do it, then that's her prerogative, but they shouldn't publicly beg for something like this. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

If Carrie doesn't want to do it / and or/ doesn't like this song, I could see her responding to the invitation by asking them to write a song together. One that she gets to write and is okay with. I remember she said a few months ago something like she wishes guy artists would be supportive and cheerleaders to the ladies and she said if they were then she would do the same in return.

monkeyboy16

It’s not really the first time another artist has asked her to sing on a song. I’m sure she will respond privately. I remember Craig Morgan made a big stink about asking Carrie to sing on a song with him, and nothing came of it. I think Chris Brown did something similar. I don’t see the big issue. It’s not a song I can hear Carrie on, but it also sounds like an opportunity for some cross over appeal that many people on here are hoping takes place. Not every song Carrie sings is a lyrical work of art

Thaleous

I've listened to and bought literally everything that Carrie has done, and believe me, I do love her greatly, but if she were to do this collaboration I would have to not support it. FGL is the epitome of bro country trash and I cannot support anything that they do.

FanSince04

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with asking Carrie to sing on the song. Julia and FGL both wrote the song, so why wouldn’t they ask? A closed mouth doesn’t get fed. Maybe it’s not the traditional method of approaching an artist, but MANY people have done this method. I recall many artists asking other students though social media. NOTHING has to come of this, but a simple ask is fine. I see this as being harmless. No pressure... because I’m sure if Carrie politely declines they will find another suitable voice. I’m flattered they asked Carrie. It’s actually a compliment if you think about it.

Louisa

I can’t believe they publicly called for Carrie to work with them. So cringeworthy! I hope she turns it down. Carrie is too good and too talented for them.

CarrieAddicted

Lmao, of course it’s PR, pretty much like the PR used for Megan Thee Stallion and Nicki Minaj’s Hot Girl Summer (they did a Instagram live together, where they apparently were just talking and then “ok, let’s collab” - the following morning the song was out. No way it would be written and recorded overnight. Pure PR).

A simple PR to make a collab between two acts look organic - which so far is what it’s looking like to the general public.

So far, both FGL and Julia are being nothing but respectful and playful to Carrie.

I’m loving it.

Ps.: I won’t say anything about the song itself, because no one can judge a song by just mere 10 seconds or less.