Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Drinking Alone' chart updates

Zach1998

Yep promotion was pulled. Another nasty update today. Oh well at least it went top 10. Nice to see where the labels priorities are though seeing Keith gets a full page ad before his song is top 10 while CU got a tiny ad after the song was top 10 for a month and had pretty much died by the time they tried to do something. Frustrating.

maddkat

Staff member
DA is passed by GWYN (+36/+.118) and drops to #12 (-70/-.274)
12 CARRIE UNDERWOOD Drinking Alone 4623 4840 -217 25.607

rcramer

Yep promotion was pulled. Another nasty update today. Oh well at least it went top 10. Nice to see where the labels priorities are though seeing Keith gets a full page ad before his song is top 10 while CU got a tiny ad after the song was top 10 for a month and had pretty much died by the time they tried to do something. Frustrating.

Yes, UMG was obviously not focused on ever pushing Carrie's singles... They got to the top 10 naturally and then over..... Imagine if she did get the higher rotation, she would have landed better positions on Radio.. So I guess I am glad that for one, she did have all of of them in the Top 10 and it was music that was personal to her, not to mention better than any song that has hit number one.

Country radio sucks.... And labels frustrate one when they make males more of a priority then the females...

maddkat

Staff member
Yes, UMG was obviously not focused on ever pushing Carrie's singles... They got to the top 10 naturally and then over..... Imagine if she did get the higher rotation, she would have landed better positions on Radio.. So I guess I am glad that for one, she did have all of of them in the Top 10 and it was music that was personal to her, not to mention better than any song that has hit number one.

Country radio sucks.... And labels frustrate one when they make males more of a priority then the females...
Southbound had a huge push to #1 in October finishing the week gaining 1116 spins/7.467 AIs on mediabase.

DA's callout was horrific. It was never going to hit #1. The label is not going to do a massive push for a song if radio is just not willing to play the song.Frankly I'm surprised it peaked at #9.

rcramer

^^^ The call out scores, yes i agree with and the label pushing southbound, that i would have expected since it was so close.... And I agree it was never going to go to number#1, i thought it would perhaps have done better and even more so on BB.... But it is what it is......

I'll take the top 10.....

CU4ever

Are we sure promotion was pulled and it’s not just collapsing? With how hard it’s struggled and been pushed so long, if it was pulled wouldn’t it be losing hundreds of spins and close to a million in audience? Either way UMG should’ve seen the writing on the wall and pushed months ago when it was at #11. I’m sad for Carrie, but I guess not many artists can say only two of their songs (and let’s hope it stays at two) missed the top ten 15 years in.

adam1995

Surprised that people are surprised that the day has come when every Carrie song isn't a guaranteed #1. It was bound to happen, yet some were in denial. She's 37, and a woman, and 15 years into her career, this seems right on track. I'll say it again, she'll still get hits, but not every song will be #1 at this point. And pointing out Miranda possibly getting a #1 is not a valid argument, as she hasn't had a hit in a while, and she found a song that connects. I'd be surprised if her next single is a hit. Carrie will have that song that connects again as well, but we have to be patient. I wish things were different with respect to women in the industry, but there is pretty much nothing I or any of us can do to actually change anything, except express the annoyance. Hopefully, the industry wises up and plays only the best songs to #1, but obviously they aren't exclusively doing that right now.

ChoctawCountyAffair

I can't believe a lot of people didnt like DA, it's one of my favorites of the album. So i guess the Cry Pretty era is over... so sad. This album deserved so much more

jaymiee

Sad update today. Makes me wonder if there will still be any sort of duet so she is present on radio or just nothing until the xmas album? She could release something in July or would that be too close to interfere?

CU4ever

I guess that ends the era. I’m sad about the single’s successes (aside from Southbound), but I feel confident next era will do better with radio. I hope Carrie isn’t too sad about where these singles peaked.

Zach1998

^ true to an extent. Country radio has always been that way, but in more ways than not Carrie has been immune to that. Look at her stats, she’s been the only consistent female hit maker since Reba, she’s honestly been a lot more consistent with hits than a lot of the men too. I’m curious had she released an album more in the vein of her others if we would have seen radio hits like her past eras. Part of me thinks so.

CU4ever

^ true to an extent. Country radio has always been that way, but in more ways than not Carrie has been immune to that. Look at her stats, she’s been the only consistent female hit maker since Reba, she’s honestly been a lot more consistent with hits than a lot of the men too. I’m curious had she released an album more in the vein of her others if we would have seen radio hits like her past eras. Part of me thinks so.

This. IMO, this is 100% the case. I couldn’t agree more, we definitely would IMO. Her songs last album, when she was almost 35 etc, tested really great. This era was a really new sound for her and I can see how people wouldn’t like them- and her songs this album tested worse than really any of hers ever have her entire career. Test scores are listeners, they don’t care how old an artist is. I am friends with a huge CU fan who loved her since 2005- she didn’t like this album because of the poppy sound on some (not all) of the songs and was sad it wasn’t like her old material, with it sounding more pop

Last edited:

Carrieroxmysox2011

I feel like it wouldn't matter what she released now the radio has already decided not to play many females especially over 35.

Zach1998

This. IMO, this is 100% the case. I couldn’t agree more, we definitely would IMO. Her songs last album, when she was almost 35 etc, tested really great. This era was a really new sound for her and I can see how people wouldn’t like them- and her songs tested worse than really any of hers ever have her entire career. Test scores are listeners, they don’t care how old an artist is. I am friends with a huge CU fan who loved her since 2005- she didn’t like this album because of the poppy sound on some (not all) of the songs and was sad it wasn’t like her old material, with it sounding more pop

Agreed. Dirty Laundry flew to #1 when she was on the cusp of 34. Southbound, which sonically sounds like it could have fit on past albums, didn’t have a problem going #1. Also agree with the general public not taking to the songs like before. Anyone I’ve talked about Carrie to lately that is a casual listener has stated they’re a fan of hers, but not of her more recent material. Reba continued to have her success past 35, so until CU releases another album in the vein of her past work, and see how radio takes to it, I’m not going to buy too much into the 35 argument.

CU4ever

Agreed. Dirty Laundry flew to #1 when she was on the cusp of 34. Southbound, which sonically sounds like it could have fit on past albums, didn’t have a problem going #1. Also agree with the general public not taking to the songs like before. Anyone I’ve talked about Carrie to lately that is a casual listener has stated they’re a fan of hers, but not of her more recent material. Reba continued to have her success past 35, so until CU releases another album in the vein of her past work, and see how radio takes to it, I’m not going to buy too much into the 35 argument.

Couldn't agree with this more. I really don't think it's a coincidence that Southbound, as you said the one song that would fit on her previous albums, was the sole number one hit of the album, when she was 36. And yeah, one good thing about the test scores is that you can see how every song of Carrie's has tested her entire career by looking through the archives. Her entire career maybe the only song that tested as bad/worse than the songs this album was Something in the Water. So that kind of supports what you said about a lot of the general public fans/not die-hards like those of us at this website not liking the newer music.

Of course I suppose we'll see what happens next era, sound-wise and success wise and that would cement the 35 argument.

Zach1998

^ denial is a stretch. We compose a valid argument and supported it with valid reasons. Not denying it will happen one day; just stating that the only way to know for sure is for her to release an album in the same vein of her previous efforts, because that is the sound that gave her the career she has and is what the general public thinks of when they think Carrie Underwood. Not saying release the same album over and over, I’m saying change it up enough to sound fresh and new, but not so much where it doesn’t sound like it’s in the same vein anymore. I think everyone can agree CP was much different than her previous releases. When you change the formula you’ve always used you will receive a different outcome. Denial would be her releasing Storyteller, Blown Away, etc. (her signature sounds) and the singles performing similar to the CP singles and us stating that we didn’t think radio was fazing her out, because there would be no reasoning behind it.

Last edited: