Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Drinking Alone' chart updates

jamatthews83

Southbound sounds nothing like her previous songs so you're really reaching there. And the truth is if she did release songs that sounded like her older songs she'd be either accused of rehashing, or sounding dated. Cry Pretty is pretty much one of the clearest examples of the ageism that faces women in the music industry with pure sales driven older audiences buying it in their droves and the younger streaming audiences ignoring it. The fact that people still want to pretend it's not a thing is mind boggling.

NC State Carrie Fan

I do think we are reading a bit to much into this. Being on this board for 8 years now since BA, sometimes us fans want the "best" songs released (Low, CCA, DA maybe?) that would not be great radio songs. Low is a vocal masterpiece but it is not something that would work well on radio. I think the single choices this era were the main issue with her struggle.

Cry Pretty is a good song and it is very personal to Carrie which merits a release, but if we are being honest it is not something you would often hear on radio. Also do you think toxic masculinity (yes I am a guy) is going to have men belting about how they Cry Pretty in their car? Probably not - but CP still has streamed fairly well. I just do not think it was a radio song.

Love Wins - lol.

Southbound I knew would be a hit and is probably going to become one of her most well streamed songs.

Drinking Alone I also think is amazing BUT many of my friends who are casual Carrie fans or just country music in general just think its okay. Its different and that is okay but it just didn't connect. I don't think it has to do with her age yet. I just think the label should have went with better single choices overall. I would have loved DA as an experimental 5th single.

Also on separate rant, I know we all want radio #1's but radio is quickly becoming less and less relevant. I don't know the ages of most people on here, but I don't know of any of my friends under the age of 30 that still listen to radio (unless its XM). The only time my radio ever turns on is when I am on a boat on the lake lol! So I do not think that just because a song peaks at #9 from some dumb country chart means anything. I would still say Cry Pretty was a pretty successful song even if it only peaked at #9 on BB Airplay.

Avira

I still think Spinning Bottles would have been a huge hit for Carrie on radio. Spinning Bottles sonically is closer to Carrie's older material, which are more popular than the songs she released as singles this era, and it is an amazing song, arguably the best song on the album.

adam1995

^ denial is a stretch. We compose a valid argument and supported it with valid reasons. Not denying it will happen one day; just stating that the only way to know for sure is for her to release an album in the same vein of her previous efforts, because that is the sound that gave her the career she has and is what the general public thinks of when they think Carrie Underwood. Not saying release the same album over and over, I’m saying change it up enough to sound fresh and new, but not so much where it doesn’t sound like it’s in the same vein anymore. I think everyone can agree CP was much different than her previous releases. When you change the formula you’ve always used you will receive a different outcome. Denial would be her releasing Storyteller, Blown Away, etc. (her signature sounds) and the singles performing similar to the CP singles and us stating that we didn’t think radio was fazing her out, because there would be no reasoning behind it.

There seems to be a denial though in that people don't want to except that her age might be phasing her out, which is well documented through other females in the industry (not just country music). Some seem to act as if Carrie is immune to this drop off in airplay, and I really don't think the drop recently coupled with her age, and the CP singles is a coincidence. It seems to be right in line with other female artists. Likely the earliest we get Carrie's next album will be deep into 2021, she'll be less than two years from 40, and the number of female artists consistently scoring #1s at that point and later is staggeringly low.

As a side note, LW and SB were not that different from some songs she's released before, in my opinion. LW can easily stand next to SYA as a Carrie single.

adam1995

I'm not sure it's the nicest thing to say to call some in denial for having a different opinion than you.

It's not because you have a different opinion, it's because you aren't really acknowledging the ageism issue, and only attributing it to a different sound. Also, saying when she goes back to previous styles all will be right with radio again. That seems really far fetched.

CU4ever

It's not because you have a different opinion, it's because you aren't really acknowledging the ageism issue, and only attributing it to a different sound. Also, saying when she goes back to previous styles all will be right with radio again. That seems really far fetched.

Again- it’s up to opinion. You state things that are opinions (“aren’t really acknowledging the ageism issue”) like they have to be acknowledged as facts. We all have opinions. I don’t have to acknowledge the ageism issue if I don’t believe that’s come into play yet. Carrie’s music didn’t start testing terrible because radio learned she was 35+. You don’t like someone’s music (tests well last era) at 34, then you hear they are older and decide to not like it - tests terrible like this era did. Saying someone is in denial because they don’t acknowledge something because that’s not their opinion kind of sounds like you believe that to be a fact. When it’s really just an opinion. You can’t say with certainty that it’s due to her age..just as I can’t say with certainty it’s due to her sound, but those are our different opinions. They don’t make either one of us in denial..and I don’t believe my opinion is “far fetched”, that’s not the nicest thing to say and it kind of sounds like you view other opinions than yours as “far fetched” and coming from a person in “denial”, which I just don’t think is true.

Zach1998

There seems to be a denial though in that people don't want to except that her age might be phasing her out, which is well documented through other females in the industry (not just country music). Some seem to act as if Carrie is immune to this drop off in airplay, and I really don't think the drop recently coupled with her age, and the CP singles is a coincidence. It seems to be right in line with other female artists. Likely the earliest we get Carrie's next album will be deep into 2021, she'll be less than two years from 40, and the number of female artists consistently scoring #1s at that point and later is staggeringly low.

As a side note, LW and SB were not that different from some songs she's released before, in my opinion. LW can easily stand next to SYA as a Carrie single.

Actually agreed SB sounded similar to her previous efforts which is why I think it had a better chart run of all the other singles this era and is continuing to stream very well. As for LW while it did sound in the vein of her previous efforts (something in the water comes to mind) it didn’t connect at all, and should’ve remained an album track. Both had poorer call outs but the difference is SITW had the sales and streams to back it up. Literally sat at #1 on the Hot Country Songs chart for 7 weeks and is nearing 2x platinum. While LW barely sold enough to go gold and will likely never reach platinum. I’ve read many places (not just here, on pulse, that call LW her weakest effort to date & it’s sales and streams show it) so I think it’s peak at radio reflected all that. As for the age issue, I don’t think anyone is denying that it exists; we just don’t think that it is happening to her yet due to the valid reasons we’ve stated, but just because we don’t share your opinion and think that is what is happening to her does not mean we are denial, it means we have a different opinion than you.

Last edited:

adam1995

Again- it’s up to opinion. You state things that are opinions (“aren’t really acknowledging the ageism issue”) like they have to be acknowledged as facts. We all have opinions. I don’t have to acknowledge the ageism issue if I don’t believe that’s come into play yet. Carrie’s music didn’t start testing terrible because radio learned she was 35+. You don’t like someone’s music (tests well last era) at 34, then you hear they are older and decide to not like it - tests terrible like this era did. Saying someone is in denial because they don’t acknowledge something because that’s not their opinion kind of sounds like you believe that to be a fact. When it’s really just an opinion. You can’t say with certainty that it’s due to her age..just as I can’t say with certainty it’s due to her sound, but those are our different opinions. They don’t make either one of us in denial..and I don’t believe my opinion is “far fetched”, that’s not the nicest thing to say and it kind of sounds like you view other opinions than yours as “far fetched” and coming from a person in “denial”, which I just don’t think is true.

I believe age is a factor, that will only further effect the outcome of singles in the future. The decline of successful singles for women over 35 is a fact. I'm sorry, but it is. That's what I'm talking about when I say there is some denial. Her age will be a factor and likely is starting to become one. Again, doesn't mean she won't hit again, she will, just not as consistently. We shall see though.

adam1995

Actually agreed SB sounded similar to her previous efforts which is why I think it had a better chart run of all the other singles this era and is continuing to stream very well. As for LW while it did sound in the vein of her previous efforts (something in the water comes to mind) it didn’t connect at all, and should’ve remained an album track. Both had poorer call outs but the difference is SITW had the sales and streams to back it up. Literally sat at #1 on the Hot Country Songs chart for 7 weeks and is nearing 2x platinum. While LW barely sold enough to go gold and will likely never reach platinum. I’ve read many places (not just here, on pulse, that call LW her weakest effort to date & it’s sales and streams show it) so I think it’s peak at radio reflected all that. As for the age issue, I don’t think anyone is denying that it exists; we just don’t think that it is happening to her yet due to the valid reasons we’ve stated, but just because we don’t share your opinion and think that is what is happening to her does not mean we are denial, it means we have a different opinion than you.

I agree about LW, it sounded like what she did before, but seemed to try too hard to recreate it and was way weaker than those efforts. Also, agree, shouldn't have been a single, but obviously can't change that.

txacar

I believe age is a factor, that will only further effect the outcome of singles in the future. The decline of successful singles for women over 35 is a fact. I'm sorry, but it is. That's what I'm talking about when I say there is some denial. Her age will be a factor and likely is starting to become one. Again, doesn't mean she won't hit again, she will, just not as consistently. We shall see though.

Martina McBride was 37 when she had her last #1. Faith Hill was 42, I believe. Both happened around the time Carrie appeared so take your pick -- age or Carrie Underwood. I suspect for Martina and Faith it was a little bit of both.

CU4ever

I don’t believe it’s not a real thing, of course it is and it’s sad. I don’t think anyone really denies that it’s a real thing, I think we just believe if the single choices were different this era/more in line with her previous sounds, she would have had all number ones or close to it- even after turning 35/close to 40. But I agree, we will have to wait and see what happens next era.

pkc4rls

Yes, I did a post on this a couple years ago showing the stats/history of other women in country music and this is how it went for all. About the 35 - 40 yr mark give or take, their career slowed down - radio not playing their songs, hits not coming for every song or pretty much any song after a while, and award shows not asking them to perform as often. I doubt it has anything to do with what singles she is putting out. I would bet if she put these singles out 10 yrs ago, they would all go to #1.

maddkat

Staff member
This notion that SB sounds like Carrie's past work is too funny.

DA repasses GWYN and moves back to #11 (+43 spins/-.162 AIs)
11 CARRIE UNDERWOOD Drinking Alone 4666 4770 -104 25.445

don't get excited just over night syndicated spins

Zach1998

^ to each there own. Different enough to be fresh, but close enough to where it still feels like Carrie Underwood. Sounds more close to her previous efforts than CP and DA which were very far right field and are her two most progressive singles to date. I would not consider Southbound progressive.

Last edited:

rcramer

I do think we are reading a bit to much into this. Being on this board for 8 years now since BA, sometimes us fans want the "best" songs released (Low, CCA, DA maybe?) that would not be great radio songs. Low is a vocal masterpiece but it is not something that would work well on radio. I think the single choices this era were the main issue with her struggle.

Cry Pretty is a good song and it is very personal to Carrie which merits a release, but if we are being honest it is not something you would often hear on radio. Also do you think toxic masculinity (yes I am a guy) is going to have men belting about how they Cry Pretty in their car? Probably not - but CP still has streamed fairly well. I just do not think it was a radio song.

Love Wins - lol.

Southbound I knew would be a hit and is probably going to become one of her most well streamed songs.

Drinking Alone I also think is amazing BUT many of my friends who are casual Carrie fans or just country music in general just think its okay. Its different and that is okay but it just didn't connect. I don't think it has to do with her age yet. I just think the label should have went with better single choices overall. I would have loved DA as an experimental 5th single.

Also on separate rant, I know we all want radio #1's but radio is quickly becoming less and less relevant. I don't know the ages of most people on here, but I don't know of any of my friends under the age of 30 that still listen to radio (unless its XM). The only time my radio ever turns on is when I am on a boat on the lake lol! So I do not think that just because a song peaks at #9 from some dumb country chart means anything. I would still say Cry Pretty was a pretty successful song even if it only peaked at #9 on BB Airplay.

I guess I have always struggled with songs have to be Radio friendly.. Why, a good song is just that and why should it not be heard.. I would rather listen to a masterpiece like Low or good song on the Radio then it being supposedly friendly... I thought DA sounded great on radio.....

And I totally get you when you say radio is becoming less relevant.... I could care less to listen to the Pittsburgh stations, they play nothing but junk or old music..... I would rather listen to XM or pop in a great CD from artists that I like.,....

adam1995

Martina McBride was 37 when she had her last #1. Faith Hill was 42, I believe. Both happened around the time Carrie appeared so take your pick -- age or Carrie Underwood. I suspect for Martina and Faith it was a little bit of both.

Probably a combo, and as they got older and Carrie got bigger, radio cared less. It's sad.

jaymiee

I dont know if Southbound necessarily sounds like her older material because i still think its pretty different for her, but it is a light, fun drinking song which obviously does better on radio with the general public.

DA is a drinking song but it sounds nothing like any song that is currently on radio and i think thats why it stalled out. Same with CP and LW. Personally I think they are all good songs its just not very radio friendly so it makes sense they didnt shoot straight to #1. Like someone else said I only listen to radio when im on the lake, or camping, at a bonfire....people, especially guys, would always change the stations when Cry Pretty or LW came on because it didnt fit the mood. Church Bells and Dirty Laundry on the other hand fit the mood great and no one would change the station

txacar

I dont know if Southbound necessarily sounds like her older material because i still think its pretty different for her, but it is a light, fun drinking song which obviously does better on radio with the general public.

DA is a drinking song but it sounds nothing like any song that is currently on radio and i think thats why it stalled out. Same with CP and LW. Personally I think they are all good songs its just not very radio friendly so it makes sense they didnt shoot straight to #1. Like someone else said I only listen to radio when im on the lake, or camping, at a bonfire....people, especially guys, would always change the stations when Cry Pretty or LW came on because it didnt fit the mood. Church Bells and Dirty Laundry on the other hand fit the mood great and no one would change the station

Southbound is an updated One Way Ticket -- calypso beat, party, summer, beach, etc. It's fun to think back to the flying stage, throwing leis to the audience below, and her amazing, carefree whistling to open the song. Same beautiful voice but she "sings" OWT, and "performs" Sb.