Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIAA Aug. 10 Certification

PNGcarriefan95

Not surprising at all to me. That's how they roll.

After her last performance before having Isaiah, one of the guy writers kept writing articles insinuating that Carrie is over - nothing else ever -

It was disgusting. Windmills got quite vocal about it (gosh, I love her).

Yeah, I remember those articles. Disgusting, really.

Ann055

Really? I don't recall RS articles insinuating that... Could you post a link?

Well, I'd have to do some research. You can go back & look at Windmills twitter. She was furious.

Not trying to put you off, because trust me there were numerous articles, but I had a heart attack & just had a stent put in last Tuesday & I just kind of lie here & check laptop as much as I feel up to it. But never fear, I'll be back & next time, I'll go back & find stuff.

I'm sure there are others here who remember this as well. Windmills is so good because she has the links on her tweets.

Have a wonderful day!

txacar

Well, I'd have to do some research. You can go back & look at Windmills twitter. She was furious.

Not trying to put you off, because trust me there were numerous articles, but I had a heart attack & just had a stent put in last Tuesday & I just kind of lie here & check laptop as much as I feel up to it. But never fear, I'll be back & next time, I'll go back & find stuff.

I'm sure there are others here who remember this as well. Windmills is so good because she has the links on her tweets.

Have a wonderful day!

What was so strange about those articles was that, after her performance at Global Citizen, RS wrote there is no doubt that Carrie has the greatest voice of her generation, all genres. Depends on the writer, I guess, but RS has not been particularly helpful to Carrie over the years. Doubt she ever gets a cover.

The Nanook

What was so strange about those articles was that, after her performance at Global Citizen, RS wrote there is no doubt that Carrie has the greatest voice of her generation, all genres. Depends on the writer, I guess, but RS has not been particularly helpful to Carrie over the years. Doubt she ever gets a cover.

Did these articles have different writers though? That would be an easy explanation for the inconsistent reception from RS.

PNGcarriefan95

Would the BA album be eligible for 2x plat certification using single sales + song streams? If it is eligible, maybe they're waiting for CUX1 to pass Platinum status so they can do 1 big announcement with SH 8x plat, BA 2x Plat and CUX1 1x Plat.
It would make sense to separate the album and singles certification announcements, as this recent announcement for 28 million was for certified singles sales only.

carebear4eva

Also, I did some number crunching over in the social media thread and I'm pretty sure SH the album is eligible for an 8x platinum certification thanks to "equivalent album sales" - that's if they retroactively include total single sales from before the new rules.

Basically, Wikipedia puts SH's actual album sales at 7,393,000. The singles from SH alone have sold about 7,780,000 (10 track sales = 1 equivalent album sale). 7,780,000/10=778,000. 7,393,000+778,000=8,171,000.

And that's not including song streams, which actually is pretty negligible (>30,000 equivalent album sales).

That's not a thing. RIAA doesn't include single sales or streams to certify albums. Only actual sales (physical CDs, digital downloads of the entire album, etc.) count. SH is 7x Platinum, because it's sold in between 7 and 8 million copies.

RIAA includes streams to certify singles. 100 streams counts as a single sale. This is only for singles.

Billboard includes things like single sales and streams to calculate the BB 200 chart every week.

The Nanook

That's not a thing. RIAA doesn't include single sales or streams to certify albums. Only actual sales (physical CDs, digital downloads of the entire album, etc.) count. SH is 7x Platinum, because it's sold in between 7 and 8 million copies.

RIAA includes streams to certify singles. 100 streams counts as a single sale. This is only for singles.

Billboard includes things like single sales and streams to calculate the BB 200 chart every week.

Oh you're right, I totally misinterpreted the rule and got carried away. It's just a Billboard thing but not an RIAA thing (but it should be!).

Forgot everything! In that case, yeah, I doubt SH is anywhere near 8x platinum.

CarrieAddicted

So, is there any way Blown Away album could be certified 2x platinum?

It's sold about 1.8 million copies.

Only if the label shipped another 200k copies?

For comparison: Kelly Clarkson's Christmas album sold 750k copies and is certified Platinum.

terilyn

Have a wonderful day!

Hope your feeling better Ann take care.

tgbrinker

So, is there any way Blown Away album could be certified 2x platinum?

It's sold about 1.8 million copies.

Only if the label shipped another 200k copies?

For comparison: Kelly Clarkson's Christmas album sold 750k copies and is certified Platinum.

Let's not compare to an artist that's...well...on the decline.

Also, it seems some labels are more desperate to 'certify' and find ways to inflate numbers so press releases and media outlets can make it seem like an artist is more successful than they really are.

I was looking at a lot of different artists' wikipedia pages and so many had certified singles and albums without actually crossing 500,000/1,000,000 in sales. For songs, record labels really cling to the streaming rules and for albums, send out extra copies to stores just to make it seem like they have a hit on their hands.

teesharky

You know what I find very disturbing? Billboard did not tweet once about Carrie becoming the Top selling digital country artist. LMAO I guess they are still clinging to their precious Taylor who they won't let go of on the country charts. Pathetic. They could at least give Carrie the credit she is due.

^ I am sure BA has sold way more than 1.7 by now. That was a year ago. Once it hits 1,8 million scanned-- the 2x certification could come at any time really. Unless they are forced to wait for 1.9 mill scanned.

tgbrinker

Maybe we're getting two RIAA press releases this summer/fall.

The first (the 28 mil sold) a few weeks before the lead single comes out, telling everyone that the best selling songs artist has a new song that you all should buy, because she is THE BEST, duh.

The next could maybe be an albums certification update a few weeks before Album #5 is released. The only albums that could even have a small chance of an update are Some Hearts (7x -> 8x platinum) and Blown Away (Platinum -> 2x platinum) right?

I don't think CUX1 could be stretched to certify Platinum anytime soon and how is the Blown Away DVD doing? Could that go Platinum?

carriefan14

Just to put this into perspective -

Multi-Platinum
7 songs

All-American Girl
Blown Away
Before He Cheats
Good Girl
Remind Me
Cowboy Casanova
Jesus, Take the Wheel

Platinum
18 songs

Wasted
See You Again
Something in the Water
Somethin' Bad
Two Black Cadillacs
Temporary Home
I Told You So
So Small
Just A Dream
Last Name
Undo It
All-American Girl
Blown Away
Before He Cheats
Good Girl
Remind Me
Cowboy Casanova
Jesus, Take the Wheel

Gold
22 songs

Little Toy Guns
Don't Forget to Remember Me
Mama's Song
Inside Your Heaven
Wasted
See You Again
Something in the Water
Somethin' Bad
Two Black Cadillacs
Temporary Home
I Told You So
So Small
Just A Dream
Last Name
Undo It
All-American Girl
Blown Away
Before He Cheats
Good Girl
Remind Me
Cowboy Casanova
Jesus, Take the Wheel

Lady Gaga has 25 multi-platinum singles, 9 platinum singles, and 10 gold singles.
Elton John has 1 multi-platinum single, 6 platinum singles, and 18 gold singles.
Kanye West has 7 multi-platinum singles, 21 platinum singles, and 27 gold singles.
Taylor Swift has 19 multi-platinum singles, 13 platinum singles, and 13 gold singles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_certification

carriefan14

Before he cheats is still her biggest selling song thus far, with 5 million copies, followed closely by Blown Away, with 3 million

ethelu

Surprised that Flo Rida is on that list and I've never heard of them. Rap or Hip Hop, maybe? Admittedly, the only current music I hear is what I see on television, except country music which I only listen to because of Carrie.