Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIAA Aug. 10 Certification

Jae

What really pleases me is to see how much distance she has from the nearest country act. 4.5 million is a big ass lead on Jason Aldean. I really don't see how he catches her.

The Nanook

Yeah, she just passed Jason after that big batch of certifications. I imagine he's got a number of songs eligible for certification too that they'll update at some point that may bring him to the top again.

Jae

Ah, thank you for that. So those numbers don't reflect continuous sales? They're a song's sales at the time of certification?

teesharky

^ yes but Carrie has a new album about to drop. She will have a big batch of new sales too to
hold him
off.

Kizmet311

Ah, thank you for that. So those numbers don't reflect continuous sales? They're a song's sales at the time of certification?

Exactly. It's a game of who is most up to date on their certifications. Now, I don't keep up with Jason's sales and I don't know which singles of his might be missing certs and by how much, but it is possible that if he went and got all of his missing certifications right now, he could move back in front of Carrie. But then, she could move in front again after this next album era. It's all a little bit of a back and forth. Apparently Jason and Luke have stronger streaming than Carrie and that counts for certifications too.

Jae

Exactly. It's a game of who is most up to date on their certifications. Now, I don't keep up with Jason's sales and I don't know which singles of his might be missing certs and by how much, but it is possible that if he went and got all of his missing certifications right now, he could move back in front of Carrie. But then, she could move in front again after this next album era. It's all a little bit of a back and forth. Apparently Jason and Luke have stronger streaming than Carrie and that counts for certifications too.

Thank you for that excellent explanation.

thaifood

So you seem to be saying that these artists show zero sales for a single or an album until it gets a certification & then all of a sudden it jumps from zero to 1,000,000? Sorry I don't buy it for a minute. For one thing sales result in royalties, royalties aren't held aside until a big milestone is achieved & then paid in one big lump sum. I suspect everyone all along the line knows who is selling what & in which quantities.

adam1995

So you seem to be saying that these artists show zero sales for a single or an album until it gets a certification & then all of a sudden it jumps from zero to 1,000,000? Sorry I don't buy it for a minute. For one thing sales result in royalties, royalties aren't held aside until a big milestone is achieved & then paid in one big lump sum. I suspect everyone all along the line knows who is selling what & in which quantities.

I don't think that's what Kizmet is saying. If Jason has a triple platinum site gel certified a year ago, it might be eligible for quadruple platinum and that would be another million added to his certifications.

maddkat

Staff member
I think Kiz is just saying that Jason could very well do exactly what Carrie did and have a bunch of singles/cds certified.And that could push him ahead of Carrie again.

Kizmet311

Thanks, Adam and Donna for explaining exactly what I meant. Obviously sales don't magically appear, but artists and their labels are not always up to date on certifications and often do them in batches. Bottom line is this - Carrie is currently the country artist with the most units certified sold by the RIAA. That does not mean she actually has the most sales right now. Unless someone wants to add up the sales numbers for all of Jason's singles and see how far off his certification numbers are, we don't really know which one has the most actual sales. Plus, with streaming, it is even harder to tally on your own.

Kizmet311

I'm curious to why the label didn't certify Blown Away the album 2x platinum?

Some have mentioned that maybe they would get any albums re-certified before releasing the new album? Or maybe they will wait until the new album can be certified gold or platinum and get them done then?

tgbrinker

Maybe by the time Album #5 goes Platinum, Greatest Hits will be approaching Platinum (500,000 units for double-disc) and Blown Away can finally be confirmed 2x Platinum.

A good time frame for all of this? During ACM voting/campaigning season! : )

tgbrinker

Now that JTTW has a 3x certification on it on RIAA, Carrie's certified to 29 million, if I'm counting them all correctly.

IYH: Gold
JTTW: 3x
DFTRM: Gold
BHC: 5x
Wasted: Platinum
SS: Platinum
AAG: 2x
LN: Platinum
JaD: Platinum
ITYS: Platinum
CC: 2x
TH: Platinum
UI: Platinum
MS: Gold
GG: 2x
BA: 3x
TBC: Platinum
SYA: Platinum
SITW: Platinum
LTG: Gold

Tied with Bruno Mars and Drake.

paulsjoliebebe

there is currently a rumor floating around that Storyteller has been certified platinum as it reaches one year of release that's only due to streaming being added to album certifications back in February 2016

maddkat

Staff member
^ that's true, it is only being cert. platinum because of streaming added.But streaming is part of certs now. Thomas Rhett's was certified after selling just 300K copies.