Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Superbowl Half Time Show

MelissaD

Pink and Carrie performing together is great idea. They both can rock a stage.

Pink is also known for being a pretty harsh critic, and I remember she tweeted praise for Carrie during her performance of Blown Away at the 2012 Billboard Awards, I think saying, "Sing that song, woman! Ms. Underwood sounds incredible" or something to that effect.

lizcarlo

Pink is also known for being a pretty harsh critic, and I remember she tweeted praise for Carrie during her performance of Blown Away at the 2012 Billboard Awards, I think saying, "Sing that song, woman! Ms. Underwood sounds incredible" or something to that effect.

Awesome... I didn't know she tweeted that about her. I like Pink so its cool to hear that she praised Carrie.

teesharky

2001 - NSYNC/Britney Spears
2002 - U2
2003- No Doubt/Shania Twain
2004 - Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake
2005 - Paul McCartney
2006 - Rolling Stones
2007 - Prince
2008- Tom Petty
2009- Springsteen
2010- The Who
2011 - Black Eyed Peas
2012 - Madonna
2013 - Beyonce
2014 - Bruno Mars & Chilli Peppers
2015 - Katy Perry
2016 - Coldplay/Beyonce AGAIN/Bruno Mars AGAIN

To me, it seems like they have always chosen acts that are major acts. Like, everybody knows who Beyonce is, everybody knows who Bruce Springsteen is. But also, they tend to pick someone who has a cultural influence - somebody who is on everybody's tongues every week. To me, the obvious choice is TS, just because she's always in the headlines, she does big production shows like that, it seems right up her alley.

TS 1st choice, I think it's time for P!nk to get her moment, or Maroon 5.

Ugh heck no. Taylor cannot sing on key live so it would be a lip sync mess. After the kimye gate exposure- even more people have turned away from her and she is not as beloved as you seem to think. Mostly with teen fabs but not football fans. Football fans are largely adults and most adults I know are not into TayTay. She is the wrong demo for this gig.

Many contrast- Beyoncé and Katy Perry are popular in every age group as is Carrie and Pink. They are the right demo for this.

Odd that you don't want Carrie to do the halftime show. She is a perfect fit and the right demo for adult football fans watching. Most adults prefer Carrie or Katy Perry or Beyoncé Etc to tween acts like TS.

It's time for a country act first of all. Carrie is a major act so don't underestimate her. It seemed like you implied Carrie is not big enough for this. Not true.

Taylor is not a strong enough singer for this and she is not exactly beloved by all- especially in the adult demo who makes up football fans. Not a good choice at all.

carriefan14

^ But i would love for Carrie to do it. I just don't see them picking her. The last country act was Shania Twain, and I guess Carrie is very similar to Shania, but I dont see them picking her to do the theme song AND the halftime show.

DaisyTweets

Well the people who picked her to do the Sunday night gig aren't the same people that are making the selection for the halftime show. The NFL and I believe Pepsi are the ones picking for the halftime show and if they picked her to sing the National anthem back in 2010 I think the chances are GREAT that she'll get chosen to do the halftime show.

Carrie has so many things in her favor for getting this gig. Carrie's reputation for being the consummate professional as well as being an outstanding entertainer and in addition she has great relationships with each network that shows the game. Mark my words Carrie Underwood will be headlining the halftime show!!!!

teesharky

I would love for Carrie to do it, but my gut says that Taylor will be asked.

Taylor is the wrong Demo for the NFL market. Adult football fans are not into her music for the most part. She appeals to the teens like Justin Bieber or One Direction, etc. She does not appeal to the majority of adults.

By contrast- KAty Perry appeals to just about every age group, as does Beyonce, Bruno Mars, Carrie, etc. So that is a big factor against TS, in addition to the obvious problem of her terrible live singing. Facto that with the scandals and over-exposure she has with all the Kanye/Kim video reveal scandal, and she is not the sweet beloved pop tart that people thought she was. Her true stripes are showing finally. I think that will hurt her too.

However--- If Carrie is ever asked-- I think it will be with a co-headliner or she will be a special guest or something, as the NFL seems terrified of using a country act sadly. They seem to care too much about international stardom instead of what Americans want-- and Americans LOVE country music. This is an American sport on american soil, so a country act deserves to perform for once....especially in Texas.

DaisyTweets

However--- If Carrie is ever asked-- I think it will be with a co-headliner or she will be a special guest or something, as the NFL seems terrified of using a country act sadly. They seem to care too much about international stardom instead of what Americans want-- and Americans LOVE country music. This is an American sport on american soil, so a country act deserves to perform for once....especially in Texas.
I guess thankfully for me I see things so totally different in that I see her being the headliner. I believe that Carrie and her team have been so smart with promotion about how successful the Storyteller tour has been and all the news surrounding the success of her singles, etc. To me all that promo is clearly showing how awesome of an entertainer she is. How she can command and shine on such a big stage. All the promo is serving a dual purpose shall we say, heads up to all the CMA voters and NFL/Pepsi folks!!!!

In addition, the news about Carrie being a creative mind behind the new song for the opening of Sunday night football -- the most watched show on network tv -- certainly isn't going unnoticed either. And while Carrie's home is country music, I believe all the shows outside the genre that she's done really show that she's a multi-genre artist. Just go read the press release for Dirty Laundry, I believe there is a sentence in there stating just that, that she is a multi genre, multi format artist. If I'm gonna dream for Carrie, I'm gonna dream BIG for her because I think she's totally ready and capable of being the star of that gig!!!!!

Taylor is the wrong Demo for the NFL market. Adult football fans are not into her music for the most part. She appeals to the teens like Justin Bieber or One Direction, etc. She does not appeal to the majority of adults.

By contrast- KAty Perry appeals to just about every age group, as does Beyonce, Bruno Mars, Carrie, etc. So that is a big factor against TS, in addition to the obvious problem of her terrible live singing. Facto that with the scandals and over-exposure she has with all the Kanye/Kim video reveal scandal, and she is not the sweet beloved pop tart that people thought she was. Her true stripes are showing finally. I think that will hurt her too.

The reason a country act doesn't do it is b/c they don't have enough recognizable hits outside of the country world.

gocountrymusic

I feel like Katy and Taylor despite their differences they actually appeal to the same demographic at this point, Taylor just has a larger core fanbase. Wasn't a fan of the Katy half time show. If its going to be another pop star Pink is a great idea but I would love for Carrie to perform with another genre artist like Bruno did.

teesharky

The reason a country act doesn't do it is b/c they don't have enough recognizable hits outside of the country world.

True. But Carrie and Shania do. And they can bring in a pop or Rock act to coheadline with a country star.

i have resigned myself to accepting that a country act may not be the solo headliner. But surely Carrie could be a coheadliner or special guest.

teesharky

I feel like Katy and Taylor despite their differences they actually appeal to the same demographic at this point, Taylor just has a larger core fanbase. Wasn't a fan of the Katy half time show. If its going to be another pop star Pink is a great idea but I would love for Carrie to perform with another genre artist like Bruno did.

Not true at least in my experience. Katy appeals to many of my adult friends and family as her music is not targeted to teens like TS is. Taylor is still primarily a teen pop act a d probably always will be. Her writing is still juvenile and do is her behavior. Katy is a much better choice and better performer too.

pklongbeach

This issue comes up every year and I am equally enthusiastic and frustrated by it. The fact is that Carrie is specifically creating and designing a career that is "specifically" intended to exist within the country sphere.
So she really does not have a set list that is going to get 100.000 football fans, and millions of viewers, on their feet for 15 minutes.

I am kind of on Team-Adele. Know your audience and do amazing things there! There is NO shame in not doing something like the Super Bowl. For someone like Adele, its garish and pompus and over-the-top exploitation. And she is kind of right. That is not a wrong thing. IT just is what it is.

When Carrie did the National Anthem, I appreciated the opportunity and the specifics of her participation. (I did not like the performance, but that is another post). But headlining, it suggests that the artist has a universal appeal that has been sought and won. And this is the prize. Sadly, Carrie has avoided the "big stage". She likes where she is and doing what she is doing. And she seems more commited then ever to staying right there. So, that is a sacrifice for someone who has the wide appeal she has. But it is hers to make.

I believe she could, and could have been one of the biggest names within music today, and could have a catalog of music that could easily fill 15 measly minutes. But that does not seem to be what she is focused on. So there for, but the status that she has chosen for herself, I can't really see her doing a full halftime show at the Super Bowl without pulling in other artists.

teesharky

^ But that was my point: they can pull in some pop/rock artists with Carrie to counter balance the haters of country music. They did that with Shania: she was not the main headliner but just one of several acts- and it worked.

maddkat

Staff member
^idk maybe it's just me but you seem to have a low opinion of Carrie and her ability to entertain.
Nobody does an entire SB halftime without pulling in other artist.Carrie has songs and can cover anything.She could totally do the SB.

And Adele was never asked to do the SB.It was just a pr move.

lizcarlo

Carrie can sing Last Name, Before He Cheats, Good Girl, Flat On The Floor, Renegade Runaway, do rock cover and then bring people out.