Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taylor Swift “Lover” as known as TS7 album era

clh_hilary

Boy, that was quick!
Is BiB Top 100 based on spins? Or is it a fuller view of the songs impact (streams/downloads/spinis)

Billboard Hot 100 is not based on spins at all.

It's based on sales (digital and physical), streams (paid on-demand streams like Apple Music > on-demand streams like free Spotify > general streams like YouTube), plus airplay by audience impression from radio stations on the tracking panel.

These days, sales are dead so it's usually about streams.

---

Also interesting to note that apart from the No 2-peaking singles record she now shares with Queen of Pop Madonna, it's even rarer for a song to debut No 2 and peak there. But now she has 2: "Today Was A Fairytale", and "You Need To Calm Down".

ETA: I forgot "ME!" debuted No 100.

Last edited:

pklongbeach

Thats for the info. It's very interesting to see how invested the system is with TS. And the burn out is quite fast. But hey, when you can grab the cash and go, I guess why not. Is there a release date for the album? I am assuming the Fall? I imagine her team was hoping for CD to get them through the summer, but I wonder if it will hang around long enough for that.

pklongbeach

"ME!" has been a 'flop' by her standard. It did stay in the Top 10 for a month after peaking at No 2. "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together", "Shake It Off", and "Look What You Made Me Do" were all multi-week blockbuster No 1 smashes, so people are clearly not resonating with it. "Mine" peaked at No 3 but at that time, she was still country and the song leaked and was released midweek, just like "Love Story" (No 4).

"You Need To Calm Down" has been better received. "...Ready For It" (No 4), "Blank Space" (No 1 during album release week), "Begin Again" (Top 10, but country-only)/"I Knew You Were Trouble." (No 2), "Back To December" (Top 10), "You Belong With Me" (No 2) showed that YNTCD is doing on par with her previous second singles. But it's very, very early to tell, especially with Pride being this month and all, inflating its impact.

The album will still sell well right out of the gate, but she clearly has lost her power to debut No 1 with her singles after the last era. She has always been an album artist however, and whilst both "Mine" and LWTMMD were underperformers, their parent albums still shifted more than a million copies. I think the biggest obstacle for her to extend her million-opening streak right now is the overall climate, since everyone is selling very poorly, and "ME!" also did much less than what LWYMMD did. She also doesn't have groundbreaking streams to push her over the million mark with SPS. I think for now we're still looking at comfortably above half a million units, but I think it will be more like 800k. It's so difficult to tell with the sales market collapsing the rate it has.
LOve your thoughtful analysis, thanks!

HuiZ

The view counts for Calm Down video is oddly very low for her standard. Considering it is receiving massive radio updates for many consecutive days and being more well received than Me!, I am surprised to see the video isn't more popular.

Something doesn't add up. Could the video be blocked or banned in some countries? Or are the radio updates not "real" reflection?

clh_hilary

Thats for the info. It's very interesting to see how invested the system is with TS. And the burn out is quite fast. But hey, when you can grab the cash and go, I guess why not. Is there a release date for the album? I am assuming the Fall? I imagine her team was hoping for CD to get them through the summer, but I wonder if it will hang around long enough for that.

The burnouts are historic indeed.

She has many record-breaking free-falls on country radio, and she's also now skydiving on pop radio. "Look What You Made Me Do" currently holds the record for the largest drop ever, but "ME!", "...Ready For It", and "End Game" featuring Future and Lord Ed Sheeran MBE are all in the Top 10. She also holds the record for the largest fall from No 1.

clh_hilary

The view counts for Calm Down video is oddly very low for her standard. Considering it is receiving massive radio updates for many consecutive days and being more well received than Me!, I am surprised to see the video isn't more popular.

Something doesn't add up. Could the video be blocked or banned in some countries? Or are the radio updates not "real" reflection?

It's not the first single, and it follows an underperformed single.

jbrown

Her music has not matured and some of her fans are maturing but she remains to stay the same. My daughter and her friends were big fans, same age as her but they said her music is still childish, they expect a mature music from her that reflects her age. So some fans are moving on.

LilUnderwood

I became a fan during reputation because I felt like finally she was sounding more adult and I’m in my late 20s. I like Calm Down but I’m hoping there are deeper and more adult songs on this album than what she’s shown us through these two singles

pklongbeach

In some ways it feels like the video for CD is kind of One-And-Done. I like it, it was very effective in telling the story of the song. But it also feels very self-serving for everyone involved. Like it is one dementional. You don't have to really watch it much to get what its doing. Blown Away is an example of a video that you can watch multiple times and still find interest. But CD is pretty straight forward. Up I am a little surprised if it is not getting the views of other singles. I think Hil is probably right; it came so quickly after ME. And ME did not to a whole lot so the desire for more is not that high.

lizcarlo

Taylor is selling these glasses. Like this picture. Whew those glasses are expensive well for me anyway.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzQoNYAHOv-/

yy4du4fda4731.png

jaymiee

In some ways it feels like the video for CD is kind of One-And-Done. I like it, it was very effective in telling the story of the song. But it also feels very self-serving for everyone involved. Like it is one dementional. You don't have to really watch it much to get what its doing. Blown Away is an example of a video that you can watch multiple times and still find interest. But CD is pretty straight forward. Up I am a little surprised if it is not getting the views of other singles. I think Hil is probably right; it came so quickly after ME. And ME did not to a whole lot so the desire for more is not that high.

That's how I felt as well. I watched the video once and then just watched it again but dont see a need to keep watching as there really isn't anything else to get out of it. ME! On the other hand was a great video that I still rewatch. Love all the different aspects

LilUnderwood

That's how I felt as well. I watched the video once and then just watched it again but dont see a need to keep watching as there really isn't anything else to get out of it. ME! On the other hand was a great video that I still rewatch. Love all the different aspects

Also in the ME video she has many Easter eggs teasing her upcoming album. Any that were in CD weren’t as exciting or interesting as in ME.

lizcarlo

The ME video was very cute. It was the first video with countdown using visuals on twitter and Easter eggs. You Need To Calm Down was just second single that was okay and the video while cute and served purpose for the song wasn't exciting enough on its own to have replay value. Easter eggs gets boring after a while lol.

_luvqry

Somehow the "oh-oh" is catchy and I can't get it out of my head. As for Me, I heard it twice and I can't remember it

_luvqry

oh, the drama just when she's about to release an album? what a coincidence.
And the fact she ends her post saying when her album will be released...

HuiZ

I think there is more to both sides of the story.

I find it difficult to be fully on Taylor's side on this as she has such a tendency of being overdramatic and playing victim. But at the same time.... it's Borchetta. Never trusted or liked him.

jaymiee

I definitely dont think it's right that someone else owns her original songs..but the fact she claims she had to find out along with the public doesn't seem right. She obviously knew about this when she signed and then recently when she left their label. She is definitely playing innocent and the victim which is not a good look.