Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taylor Swift “Lover” as known as TS7 album era

gocountrymusic

For me this is easily the best of three songs we heard so far. I respect the restraint in production for the first two thirds of the song and even when the beat comes in after two minutes its not in your face. It definitely has its own sound from her other pop songs which I respect.

Lyrically I think its slightly different too then what she's done, her trying to figure out what she's done wrong in past relationships so she can make this relationship work.

FanSince04

I loved it!!!!

“All of my enemies, they started out friends...”

I’m liking the owning up to her fault in some if not all of that!

simonplay

It's like she said "I'm going to do a slower version of Cyndi Lauper's Time after Time"... lol

Also, I didn't understand those lyrics.. the song doesn't make any sense to me.

pklongbeach

^Well it's no Time after Time. But..... I think I know what you mean.

This kind of song must be for the pure fans. Its just too self indulgent for me. Like she is sitting in a hot tub enjoying all her own misery.

She is always good at a memorable melody and an interesting turn of phrase. But this does not have much of a melody and it does nothing but turn random phrases all over the place.

And no, I have no intention of spending a lot of time "trying" to find the meaning. Sometimes when you do that you find meaning that was never really there to begin with. Songwriters love when you do that.

maddkat

Staff member
That's funny, aren't you a, at least, 50 year old woman still hating on artists that are more succesful/better songrwriters/ better than Carrie? Maybe you should grow up too.
I'm a little confused by your attack me, which violates forum rules - Carrie Fans Policies - btw, as I didn't write the line Taylor did. And I would assume if she wrote it she must have meant it.

also confused why you would attack Carrie , which also violates forum rules, who has nothing to do with Taylor on her own site.

FanSince04

I think people are being too harsh on her here.

Yes, the line “never grew up” is in the song, but so is the lyric, “help me hold onto you”. If we are to pull apart her song to criticize, let’s do it in context. Clearly this line shows self recognition; as well as, a maturity that comes with asking for help.

“I’ve been the archer, I’ve been the prey.” Also, this lines shows she is clearly aware she has been part of the problem, but it hasn’t all been her fault.

“All my enemies started out friends.” Again, this song is all about be aware of her own actions. It is true many of her enemies started out friends, which we don’t know all the details about why some have turned on her, but most we do. There is blame to share!

“Who could ever leave me darling, but who could stay?” I love this line, especially how she sings it! She knows she clearly has some magnetic quality about her that causes guys to fall for her, but she clearly knows there’s something about her causes that love to fizzle out.

To me, this should have been the first single released. It would have opened us up to the era in a whole new way!

Last edited:

simonplay

^Well it's no Time after Time. But..... I think I know what you mean.

This kind of song must be for the pure fans. Its just too self indulgent for me. Like she is sitting in a hot tub enjoying all her own misery.

She is always good at a memorable melody and an interesting turn of phrase. But this does not have much of a melody and it does nothing but turn random phrases all over the place.

And no, I have no intention of spending a lot of time "trying" to find the meaning. Sometimes when you do that you find meaning that was never really there to begin with. Songwriters love when you do that.

Yes it sounds like Time after Time to me.

Exactly! Lol this does seems like random phrases all over the place!

pklongbeach

I think people are being too harsh on her here.

Yes, the line “never grew up” is in the song, but so is the lyric, “help me hold onto you”. If we are to pull apart her song to criticize, let’s do it in context. Clearly this line shows self recognition; as well as, a maturity that comes with asking for help.

“I’ve been the archer, I’ve been the prey.” Also, this lines shows she is clearly aware she has been part of the problem, but it hasn’t all been her fault.

“All my enemies started out friends.” Again, this song is all about be aware of her own actions. It is true many of her enemies started out friends, which we don’t know all the details about why some have turned on her, but most we do. There is blame to share!

“Who could ever leave me darling, but who could stay?” I love this line, especially how she sings it! She knows she clearly has some magnetic quality about her that causes guys to fall for her, but she clearly knows there’s something about her causes that love to fizzle out.

To me, this should have been the first single released. It would have opened us up to the era in a whole new way!
I may be. If she were received like any other singer/songwriter is when material comes out I doubt there would be so much discourse. But her career path has been to create and commit to this idea that she is truly exceptional. that she is a voice of a generation. That every word that comes from her is a genius moment. Worthy of being broken down into the smallest subtext.
In fairness to those of us here who are doing exactly that, she is being judged differently I think because she has always asked to be. She loves the attention be it negative or positive.
It's just a little difficult to take as fans I think. Because they don't want her judged. They want her accepted. Well she is. You have your wish. The analysis just comes with the acceptance.
Example: Someone on this thread just suggested that Taylor Swift was a better songwriter than Carrie Underwood. That is purely subjective. And I would argue is completely ignorant if you look at the actually structure and nature of the material of each artist. But they can say it. And it does not have to hurt me. I just listen and seek to understand a different opinion.
All good.
I think its an odd choice as a promo because it is so understated and doesn't say much about the sound of the album (I hope). But its a nice song. I personally think Calm Down is far better. Sometimes slower and more introspective does not automatically make something better.

FanSince04

I may be. If she were received like any other singer/songwriter is when material comes out I doubt there would be so much discourse. But her career path has been to create and commit to this idea that she is truly exceptional. that she is a voice of a generation. That every word that comes from her is a genius moment. Worthy of being broken down into the smallest subtext.
In fairness to those of us here who are doing exactly that, she is being judged differently I think because she has always asked to be. She loves the attention be it negative or positive.
It's just a little difficult to take as fans I think. Because they don't want her judged. They want her accepted. Well she is. You have your wish. The analysis just comes with the acceptance.
Example: Someone on this thread just suggested that Taylor Swift was a better songwriter than Carrie Underwood. That is purely subjective. And I would argue is completely ignorant if you look at the actually structure and nature of the material of each artist. But they can say it. And it does not have to hurt me. I just listen and seek to understand a different opinion.
All good.
I think its an odd choice as a promo because it is so understated and doesn't say much about the sound of the album (I hope). But its a nice song. I personally think Calm Down is far better. Sometimes slower and more introspective does not automatically make something better.

Thanks for sharing your perspective and I appreciate the great lengths you went to explain your thoughts in-depth. I agree Taylor and her fans struggle to accept criticism.

Also, I didn’t comment on the person making the statement Taylor is better than Carrie for two reasons: the comment was 100% subjective so no need to argue and it was a comment directed at another person so I stayed out of it. I don’t always do that, but the other person handled it how they saw fit.

Lastly, I do; however, have to disagree with your take on “You Need To Calm Down” and “The Archer”. I believe YNTCD was released at the time it was solely for the purpose of Pride and all the events that take place during that month. Do I think she is honest with how she feels about people in the LGBTQ Comminity? Yes, I do. Do I think she would’ve normally released that song right after “ME!”? I do not. Now, TA gives fans and others a true sense of the direction of this album. It is very understated, but that’s what makes it so intriguing. After all these releases of loud in your face, upbeat songs (Reputation Era and Lover era... minus Delicate), she needed something to make people stop and listen before writing it off as another typical Taylor Swift release. If this were to be released as the first single, I guarantee you it would have gone straight to number one! It’s different, it’s being almost unanimously, positively received by critics and fans alike. The lyrics as random as they might seem all revolve around Taylor’s perception of herself and others perception of her... it gives me “Back To December” only in the fact that this is only the second time ever where she takes blame, or recognizes she does things wrong too.

That’s my in-depth explanation of my thoughts.

rcramer

All good.

I myself had to truly laugh at the original statement.... I found it ignorant as well.... Carrie's songwriting material is much better IMO.... In fact, Carrie has always got totally subbed in that category by the industry IMO..

Taylor has always been for the younger generation, and they can have her.... I never really followed her after "Tear Drops On My Guitar" since her music is truly not for me..... I have enjoyed some of the music written by her such as "Better Man" for instance.....

jaymiee

Archer is...different. I've liked Taylor since the beginning but these 3 songs just aren't doing it for me. I still have hope she has some gold on the album

pklongbeach

Thanks for sharing your perspective and I appreciate the great lengths you went to explain your thoughts in-depth. I agree Taylor and her fans struggle to accept criticism.

Also, I didn’t comment on the person making the statement Taylor is better than Carrie for two reasons: the comment was 100% subjective so no need to argue and it was a comment directed at another person so I stayed out of it. I don’t always do that, but the other person handled it how they saw fit.

Lastly, I do; however, have to disagree with your take on “You Need To Calm Down” and “The Archer”. I believe YNTCD was released at the time it was solely for the purpose of Pride and all the events that take place during that month. Do I think she is honest with how she feels about people in the LGBTQ Comminity? Yes, I do. Do I think she would’ve normally released that song right after “ME!”? I do not. Now, TA gives fans and others a true sense of the direction of this album. It is very understated, but that’s what makes it so intriguing. After all these releases of loud in your face, upbeat songs (Reputation Era and Lover era... minus Delicate), she needed something to make people stop and listen before writing it off as another typical Taylor Swift release. If this were to be released as the first single, I guarantee you it would have gone straight to number one! It’s different, it’s being almost unanimously, positively received by critics and fans alike. The lyrics as random as they might seem all revolve around Taylor’s perception of herself and others perception of her... it gives me “Back To December” only in the fact that this is only the second time ever where she takes blame, or recognizes she does things wrong too.

That’s my in-depth explanation of my thoughts.
Yes, I think you are right about Calm Down. And I think it did what it was supposed to do. And it was, frankly, brave of her to take the time and money it took to make that video and do the release so that it would sit squarely in PRide month.
I are responding mostly because you tapped on to something I had forgotten about, Delicate! I did not follow much of the Reputation Era. After LWYMMD I was done! ha ha ha ha. So I don't know how any of the singles ended up doing on the charts or in streaming or sales. But I will say that it seems to me that Delicate is the stand out. The one that seems to live on its own. And deservedly.
It could be on an Alt station very easily. As I think quite of bit of hers could be at this point. And I think her music would have a whole new life and new audience.
But she insists on doing the Big Grab stuff like ME and SIO and that keeps her in this teeny bopper place that is infectious and eaten by the public like candy but never really elevates her as a pop artist. I could see her doing stuff like Billy Ilish, but she would have to shed her entire image and she is not willing to do that.
Just wanted to mention Delicate as a stand out. To me much more effective than Archer.
(But I will give it another couple of listens, cause her music tends to grow on me rather than hitting me immediately)

BTW does anyone have any stats on Reputation Era?