Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taylor Swift “Lover” as known as TS7 album era

AdamJ

She knew...Her Father has shares in BM and he was told well in advance of the buy out. She is playing the drama queen again and lying about not knowing and her music. She has new music coming out----go figure......

LilUnderwood

I can totally understand her frustration and I don’t think there is anything wrong with her speaking out. I know she’s been in drama in the past but this seems more than something petty and I have a feeling there is more behind the scenes that has gone on with Scooter that we don’t know. Assuming she’s doing it just to be noticed I think is being insensitive but that’s my opinion.

adam1995

My whole issue with this story is that this is not a Swift exclusive problem, most artists do not own their own masters, yet she is raising hell as if this is unique to her. Taylor said that she knew if she re-signed with BM the company would be sold, this was most likely more than a year ago, why didn't she put up an offer to outright buy the label herself? She would have the money to do so, or could at least find someone to go into that deal with her. Or even just to buy her own masters. I would bet she was offered the chance to buy her catalog (Borchetta even posted a negotiation for last summer where she offered a 7 year deal). If she couldn't get a deal done, then that's on her. Then when the company, which she owns no part of and is not even on the roster of artists anymore, gets sold, she's offended. She has no rights to any part of this deal. Too bad if you don't like the buyer, she's an adult, who has been incredibly successful, with or without, or in-spite of this Scooter Braun guy.

The part that blows my mind, is where she says she knew the label would be sold. She had time to make offers, so I don't want to hear she was blindsided. It's nobody's fault but her and her family's when they signed a 14-15 year old to a ten year deal, and her masters weren't included. That's generally how these things go I'd imagine, but she wants different rules for herself. I wish more artists owned their own masters, but they don't, and if they want to they have to buy them, or negotiate them into a deal, they unfortuantely aren't entitled to have them. But I guess for Taylor, she just is.

Guarantee Carrie's masters didn't come with her to UMG. Just glad Carrie has more class than to act this way.

stuffy

Guarantee Carrie's masters didn't come with her to UMG. Just glad Carrie has more class than to act this way.
If an artist's catalogue is the same thing as masters, then it's 100% true Carrie left them behind. When the new Sony head gave that interview about being the guy who lost Carrie Underwood, he mentioned he couldn't believe she left her catalogue behind.

adam1995

If an artist's catalogue is the same thing as masters, then it's 100% true Carrie left them behind. When the new Sony head gave that interview about being the guy who lost Carrie Underwood, he mentioned he couldn't believe she left her catalogue behind.

It would have been great if she was able to get them, but it obviously was not in her deal.

This situations is like if Sony got bought out, and Carrie started complaining about the owner. Makes no sense.

Last edited:

FanSince04

My whole issue with this story is that this is not a Swift exclusive problem, most artists do not own their own masters, yet she is raising hell as if this is unique to her. Taylor said that she knew if she re-signed with BM the company would be sold, this was most likely more than a year ago, why didn't she put up an offer to outright buy the label herself? She would have the money to do so, or could at least find someone to go into that deal with her. Or even just to buy her own masters. I would bet she was offered the chance to buy her catalog (Borchetta even posted a negotiation for last summer where she offered a 7 year deal). If she couldn't get a deal done, then that's on her. Then when the company, which she owns no part of and is not even on the roster of artists anymore, gets sold, she's offended. She has no rights to any part of this deal. Too bad if you don't like the buyer, she's an adult, who has been incredibly successful, with or without, or in-spite of this Scooter Braun guy.

The part that blows my mind, is where she says she knew the label would be sold. She had time to make offers, so I don't want to hear she was blindsided. It's nobody's fault but her and her family's when they signed a 14-15 year old to a ten year deal, and her masters weren't included. That's generally how these things go I'd imagine, but she wants different rules for herself. I wish more artists owned their own masters, but they don't, and if they want to they have to buy them, or negotiate them into a deal, they unfortuantely aren't entitled to have them. But I guess for Taylor, she just is.

You aren’t going to believe this... but I agree with you! Taylor had to of known something was going on since her father has been a huge part of getting her signed/far in this business. I’M NOT DISCREDITING HER TALENT AS A SONGWRITER, but just like American Idol helped propel Carrie to stardom, Taylor’s dad helped propel her to stardom. Both Carrie and Taylor then worked extremely hard to become SUPERstars.

Also, she is a savvy businesswoman. If she didn’t foresee this occurring, then I’m shocked too 😳 Maybe she didn’t foresee such a scummy person like Scooter buying her catalog... but DO NOT tell me the thought of SOMEBODY buying her catalogue didn’t cross her mind.

HuiZ

It would have been great if she was able to get them, but it obviously was not in her deal.

This situations is like if Sony got bought out, and Carrie started complaining about the owner. Makes no sense.
Agree. Although I will say Taylor/Scott situation is slightly different whereby they both depended and trusted one another when they were both nobodies in the industry and helped each other to reach huge success.

I think it's understandable that Taylor will take things more personally. But what I wish she would stop doing is airing her ill feelings in public and letting the other party find out that she's pissed the same time as the rest of the world. Why not just act maturely and speak directly to Scott, since it seemed like they were still on friendly terms.

Time and time again, she chooses to tell the world so that her army will stand behind her. I feel bad for her for losing her catalogue, but there are many better ways to deal with this!

adam1995

You aren’t going to believe this... but I agree with you! Taylor had to of known something was going on since her father has been a huge part of getting her signed/far in this business. I’M NOT DISCREDITING HER TALENT AS A SONGWRITER, but just like American Idol helped propel Carrie to stardom, Taylor’s dad helped propel her to stardom. Both Carrie and Taylor then worked extremely hard to become SUPERstars.

Also, she is a savvy businesswoman. If she didn’t foresee this occurring, then I’m shocked too �� Maybe she didn’t foresee such a scummy person like Scooter buying her catalog... but DO NOT tell me the thought of SOMEBODY buying her catalogue didn’t cross her mind.

Right! There were rumors of a sale back in 2015, so she had to think it could happen. And someone with as much clout and potential backing as Taylor, could move heaven and earth to buy her own catalog, I believe even without a new record contract. for the most part Taylor Swift knows what she is doing in this business. She's is calculating, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it seems she expects that things will go her way every time. She can make moves to ensure her fans buy more, or stream more, or fight for her, but if someone who doesn't really like her, or just doesn't care that much about her goes to bat against her, they won't just fold to what she wants to happen, she might lose the match. And at least for now...she lost, and how she handles that shows.

FanSince04

Right! There were rumors of a sale back in 2015, so she had to think it could happen. And someone with as much clout and potential backing as Taylor, could move heaven and earth to buy her own catalog, I believe even without a new record contract. for the most part Taylor Swift knows what she is doing in this business. She's is calculating, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it seems she expects that things will go her way every time. She can make moves to ensure her fans buy more, or stream more, or fight for her, but if someone who doesn't really like her, or just doesn't care that much about her goes to bat against her, they won't just fold to what she wants to happen, she might lose the match. And at least for now...she lost, and how she handles that shows.

Exactly. She also lost the battle with Kim & Kanye too. I think that’s when people began to realize just how much of a facade her own image is/how much of an act she created to become so popular. They popularity comes with a price and sadly she seems to have been made aware of this over and over again post-1989.

For this though... I wouldn’t say she’s out for the count. I’ve a strange feeling she will sue, this will become a talked about situation (we’ve already been discussing it pretty heavily here; as well as, other celebrities taking sides), and somehow someway she will end up with her catalogue. I just don’t see it going any other way.

adam1995

Exactly. She also lost the battle with Kim & Kanye too. I think that’s when people began to realize just how much of a facade her own image is/how much of an act she created to become so popular. They popularity comes with a price and sadly she seems to have been made aware of this over and over again post-1989.

For this though... I wouldn’t say she’s out for the count. I’ve a strange feeling she will sue, this will become a talked about situation (we’ve already been discussing it pretty heavily here; as well as, other celebrities taking sides), and somehow someway she will end up with her catalogue. I just don’t see it going any other way.

To an extent, I agree. She will likely, eventually get her catalog. However, I don't know how she can sue?

I am not a lawyer, and don't know how this all works, but if she signed a contract that indicated she wouldn't own her masters, then she simply doesn't own them. In a he said, she said about offering the chance to buy the masters (where we've already seen Taylor acknowledged the chance to do so), and no deal came about, she still doesn't own them, and in tandem with the contract, may not have any right to them, unless she buys them. As someone who is not on the label, doesn't own any part of the label, I would imagine she, like the other artists on the label, really have no right to sue over who bought the label and owns the masters?

All purely speculation, as again, I'm no lawyer. But, I do agree, she won't back off of this quietly, she'll make some petty comments at events most likely, and keep her fans all riled up, instead of actually trying to handle the situation like an adult.

LilUnderwood

I also think in today’s age with social media it’s hard not to pop off when you’re upset and it’s so easy to do. I’m sure we all see it everyday! I think it used to be a little easier pre social media for things not to blow up unless an interview was conducted with a news outlet.

Smokyiiis

With her father having been on the board I can hardly see how she would win. But I'm not a lawyer either....or a judge

Farawayhills

I have never really followed Taylor's career, or the publicity surrounding it. I can only think of four of her songs - "Fifteen", which I regard as a masterpiece of empathy, for what many girls may go through as they move into an often increasingly heartless world; and "All Too Well", "Holy Ground" and "The Lucky One" - all from Red, with what I would regard as showing a strong Alternative Country Rock influence. If she'd continued in that vein, I might have become a follower (though what she now might think of the Ryan Adams influence in the Red songs is anyone's guess).

Given that I know little about the circumstances, I can't add much to this discussion, except to say that several of the women artists I do follow are supporting her:

Gretchen Peters

@gretchenpeters

Taylor Swift is a badass. Not afraid to speak truth to power. This is an incredibly strong statement which any artist who’s tried to reclaim her own work will, sadly, relate to.

Kelly Willis

@KellyWRobison

I gotta say, my respect for this women grows day by day. I’m so sorry Scott did this to her.

Matraca Berg

@matracaberg

·
https://twitter.com/matracaberg/status/1145490448372457472
Love this!!
1f496.svg

#TaylorSwift

kim richey

@kimrichey

What a crap thing to do to her. You're right Gretchen, Taylor is a badass.

pklongbeach

A different perspective: When a young artist is picked up by a major label it is a huge advantage to that artist. The label agrees to pay for, and therefore own everything that you are using to make your music. All the engineering, all the studio has to offer, all the publicity that it might garner, the promotion of the songs that come out of those studios, and profits from the work that the lable has put out. The idea is; if it is my microphone, my guitar, my tape player and my tape, and you sing into it, at what point does all that become yours?? That tape is still mine! You agreed to sing on it, and you made a huge amount of profit off the deal, but the tape is still mine, it always was....
This is why studios, labels ALWAYS own the masters. And in most/all cases, those masters of every artist that has ever sung for a studio, are sitting in storage somewhere. Owned by the label.

Buying them back may or may not be on the table. But imagine what the label would ask for if someone wanted to buy the masters to Elvis Presleys work?? Alot! And no, Elvis is not going to get anything. He already got plenty! He is a legend.

pklongbeach

I am still feeling like this era is moving through music pretty fast. How long was "ME"'s life span? Is it still charting? And how long was it effective compared to other lead singles. Asking for a friend....

HuiZ

Me! came out in late April and lasted about 1.5 months before Calm Down was released (probably to save the era). Other than its initial hype, it wasn't well received. Callout scores were terrible and even some of her loyal fans didn't like it. Now it is freefalling so fast on pop chart, probably set some records.

In contrast, Calm Down is zooming up the pop radio charts very well. However, its video didn't do well. People don't seem to like it based on youtube counts.

LilUnderwood

Just listened to the song and I like it! It’s more introspective compared to the others she’s released thus far from this album. This reinstates my hope for this album!