Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Idol 2018 on ABC

Kizmet311

I only watched AI last night because I knew a girl from my husband's hometown (Lebanon, KY in Marion County) was supposed to be on at some point (and she was on last night). She was Layla Spring and brought her little sister Dyxie out. I thought Layla was cute and I knew they had shown a lot of her in promos for the upcoming season, so I'm not surprised she made it through, although I don't know if she's good enough to make it very far. She set herself up with a good backstory and her adorable little sister, though, and sometimes that can get you a little farther even if you aren't the most talented. Don't get me wrong, Layla was good, I just don't know if she is good enough. I expected her to sing a country song, so her song choice surprised me. We saw a couple tweets last night saying she only got a golden ticket because they gave her sister one that said come back in 2026 and would feel bad if they didn't give Layla one. I don't think I want to be spoiled, but I wonder how far Layla makes it. I know they have filmed more footage of her than they showed in her video package last night. There is footage of her singing what I assume is the NA at a basketball game at her high school. I thought it was cool that they played SS at the end of Layla's audition! Loved hearing Carrie last night then and I adored hearing her voice in the opening monologue. I swear she can even talk/read a script and sound better than anyone else doing it, lol.

There is also supposed to be a KY girl on the Voice, but I haven't been watching that and I don't know if she has auditioned yet.

Other than Laya, the two standouts to me were Noah (the guy from AR who wants to buy alpacas) and Alyssa (from Orlando and her Dad is her BFF) - loved her voice and she's beautiful. I also liked the guy who had the high-pitched voice that was deep when he sang (Zach) and the last guy, Dennis. My hubby was hoping we would quit watching after last night, but I actually kind of enjoyed it and might watch some more of the auditions, although I will definitely watch again once auditions are over to see how Layla and the others I liked from night 1 do in the rest of the competition.

Last edited:

pklongbeach

I have not seen it but I did record it as a series. I will see how far I get. I am kind of over the whole "competition show" thing. But I am curious if the format is the same.
I still feel like something is missing in the cancelling of the show and then quickly bringing it back. Like they wanted to clean out some contracts that were previously holding on, possibly making things unnecessarily expensive.

jimshoe

Alyssa was definitely the best last night.. also, I like both Katy and Lionel last night.. Luke I don't think was that good. What I did like though is they didn't focus on the judges much at all. This to me is the main difference between Idol and the Voice.. ever time I switch to the voice they are focusing on the judges, not the contestants

thaifood

I only watched AI last night because I knew a girl from my husband's hometown (Lebanon, KY in Marion County) was supposed to be on at some point (and she was on last night). She was Layla Spring and brought her little sister Dyxie out. I thought Layla was cute and I knew they had shown a lot of her in promos for the upcoming season, so I'm not surprised she made it through, although I don't know if she's good enough to make it very far. She set herself up with a good backstory and her adorable little sister, though, and sometimes that can get you a little farther even if you aren't the most talented. Don't get me wrong, Layla was good, I just don't know if she is good enough. I expected her to sing a country song, so her song choice surprised me. We saw a couple tweets last night saying she only got a golden ticket because they gave her sister one that said come back in 2026 and would feel bad if they didn't give Layla one. I don't think I want to be spoiled, but I wonder how far Layla makes it. I know they have filmed more footage of her than they showed in her video package last night. There is footage of her singing what I assume is the NA at a basketball game at her high school. I thought it was cool that they played SS at the end of Layla's audition! Loved hearing Carrie last night then and I adored hearing her voice in the opening monologue. I swear she can even talk/read a script and sound better than anyone else doing it, lol.

There is also supposed to be a KY girl on the Voice, but I haven't been watching that and I don't know if she has auditioned yet.

Other than Laya, the two standouts to me were Noah (the guy from AK who wants to buy alpacas) and Alyssa (from Orlando and her Dad is her BFF) - loved her voice and she's beautiful. I also liked the guy who had the high-pitched voice that was deep when he sang (Zach) and the last guy, Dennis. My hubby was hoping we would quit watching after last night, but I actually kind of enjoyed it and might watch some more of the auditions, although I will definitely watch again once auditions are over to see how Layla and the others I liked from night 1 do in the rest of the competition.

I don't want to sound persnickety, but he was from AR....AK is the postal code for Alaska.

There were some really good ones last night. The girl from Orlando, the guy that had been homeless from Philly, the guy that sang Sinatra, and yes, the Alpaca guy from Arkansas.

Kizmet311

I don't want to sound persnickety, but he was from AR....AK is the postal code for Alaska.

There were some really good ones last night. The girl from Orlando, the guy that had been homeless from Philly, the guy that sang Sinatra, and yes, the Alpaca guy from Arkansas.

Oops! My bad. I know that, but you know how it is when you're typing quickly - sometimes you make typos!

pklongbeach

Watched the premier last night. it was good. I like the judged. Poor Lionel's face! Careful what you wish for when you are going under the knife. Maybe you should just rock what God gave you......

Luke is the heart of the show, which is funny, but otherwise is fairly useless. Katy is good and she is going to have a good sense of who has talent and who can make it in the bus.

maddkat

Staff member
Last nights show was inferior to Sunday's.Putting through that dancing,screeching woman was a joke. Overall not much talent and the judges were even more annoying.Why can't they just sit there and judge.Stop with the antics.No one cares. And Richie...if he hugs one more person I'm going to scream.Luke is just a disaster.He adds nothing.

For once ,for me, the last act was actually the highlight of the show.His story, his smile, his singing... loved it.

Smokyiiis

If I HAD to pick one from last nights contestants I guess I would go with the last one too but quite honestly I didn't think anything was especially special about any of last night's contestants.

maddkat

Staff member
^so he was going to Hollywood before he walked in the door...same crap they started doing last time.Which is probably why most people turned it off and it tanked.AI is such a sham

simonplay

The premiere in Latin America is tomorrow but I already watched all the auditions in YouTube.
I couldn't stop laughing at some auditions, the "wig" guy, the girl that screamed like crazy, Katy's fall, Katy in love with the contestant and more.
About talent, the first girl yesterday that sing Love on the brain have an amazing voice!! With a little help and experience she can win.
And the girl from Venezuela was awesome too, sure she go for a more entertaining audition but she hit some big notes!
Then like always there is a lot of guys with ok voices and their guitars lol.
The judges are great, specialy Katy and Lionel, Luke is a little awkward, like when he was hosting the ACM's.
Can't wait to see it all over again tomorrow in my TV!!

pklongbeach

^yeah! I am not a fan of accomplished performers coming on as if they are "competing" in the same way as others who have no idea what is going on around them. Its just not fair and I don't see the point is highlighting and "finding" some untapped talent when it has already been "totally tapped".
But in general, I don't like seeing them build whole packages around specific singers because it gives away the fact that you have already chosen them.

And yes, they did it with Carrie but I felt somewhat duped and did not like it once it became obvious!